• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID; Jumping Spider and Brimstone type Butterfly (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Both in Stockholm, Sweden today.

Spider small, 4-5mm.

Attachments

• jumping spider_1.jpg
    jumping spider_1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 183
  • butterfly.jpg
    butterfly.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 193
buzzard12 said:
Ta Howard.

Cracking little beast, the spider.!

Yes they are. Spiders never cease to amaze me, I absolutley love `em lol.

The Zebra spider can vary quite a lot in colour.

Here is a pic I took several weeks ago.

Regards Howard :t:

Attachments

• Zebra_Spider.JPG
    Zebra_Spider.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 169
ID Please?

Sorry if this is a bit blurred, I am absolutely petrified of spiders and when it jumped, the camera probably wobbled! I found it while butterflying in the lavender bed outside the house and would love to know what it is. Thanks.

Attachments

• yel and bl spiders 001.jpg
    yel and bl spiders 001.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 167
Paminfra said:
Sorry if this is a bit blurred, I am absolutely petrified of spiders and when it jumped, the camera probably wobbled! I found it while butterflying in the lavender bed outside the house and would love to know what it is. Thanks.
Have no idea, but it is rather lovely!

buzzard12 said:
Have no idea, but it is rather lovely!

Hmm, if you like spiders, I suppose! Thanks, Buzzard. It also had underneath it a very distinct spiral web, like a spring, if that gives anyone a clue. At this point, the rain came down so I didn't get any more shots.

Last edited:
I believe that maybe Argiope bruennichi, wasp or tiger spider.

Even though it`s a bit blurred, it`s still a beautiful image.

Regards Howard.

Last edited:
Howard_Hopkinso said:
I believe that maybe Argiope bruennichi, wasp or tiger spider.

Even though it`s a bit blurred, it`s still a beautiful image.

Regards Howard.

Thanks very much for that, if it's still there today I'll have another go. It didn't seem to like having a lens poked at it (I had the whole of its back as well in the viewfinder at the time) and try to get the strange web in too.

I must be looking at a different photo because the one I look at is super, the background may be blurred but the spider is perfect, well done. I've got it's common name written down as Bruennichi's Argiope, obviously after the guy who discovered it, which fits in with its scientific name Argiope bruennichi. It does say that it is also known as the wasp spider though.

Jaff (o)<

Jaff said:
I must be looking at a different photo because the one I look at is super, the background may be blurred but the spider is perfect, well done. I've got it's common name written down as Bruennichi's Argiope, obviously after the guy who discovered it, which fits in with its scientific name Argiope bruennichi. It does say that it is also known as the wasp spider though.

Jaff (o)<

Thanks to you all for your help. There was a problem with contrast as the spider is in front of a white wall which doesn't do much for it, plus having an arachnaphobic shaking in front of it doesn't add up to a picture which is sharp over all. Plus the thundery breeze and distant bangs and thuds. I'll try again later and if I get a decent shot, will post it on my gallery. I'm very appreciative, so thanks again.

Paminfra said:
Thanks to you all for your help. There was a problem with contrast as the spider is in front of a white wall which doesn't do much for it, plus having an arachnaphobic shaking in front of it doesn't add up to a picture which is sharp over all. Plus the thundery breeze and distant bangs and thuds. I'll try again later and if I get a decent shot, will post it on my gallery. I'm very appreciative, so thanks again.

Have posted one which is marginally better and thanks again!

Paminfra said:

Hi Pam,

Not a true Jumping Spider (Salticidae) but an Orb Spider (Araneidae) as identified by Howard in the genus Argiope. The "Jumping" in this family is not a "free" jump like Jumping Spiders but a sudden drawing close to the body of all the legs at once usually on the centre of the web to check for differences in strand tension (possible trapped prey) or a defensive action to confuse a predator.
This family of spiders have poor eyesight (like the majority of spiders) unlike the excellent eyesight of Jumping Spiders and rely on touch/tension of web mostly though they can see contrast especially light and dark, and your approach may well have triggered this response.
I suspect that the biggest jump in this encounter was from you? ;)
Lovely picture of a great spider too.

Steve.

steve_nova said:
Hi Pam,

Not a true Jumping Spider (Salticidae) but an Orb Spider (Araneidae) as identified by Howard in the genus Argiope. The "Jumping" in this family is not a "free" jump like Jumping Spiders but a sudden drawing close to the body of all the legs at once usually on the centre of the web to check for differences in strand tension (possible trapped prey) or a defensive action to confuse a predator.
This family of spiders have poor eyesight (like the majority of spiders) unlike the excellent eyesight of Jumping Spiders and rely on touch/tension of web mostly though they can see contrast especially light and dark, and your approach may well have triggered this response.
I suspect that the biggest jump in this encounter was from you? ;)
Lovely picture of a great spider too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I really did think it was jumping to the attack (but spiders and I don't get on!) and feared the worst. However, she must have got used to me as she posed perfectly afterwards and I finally managed one shot which I thought was acceptable. You're right, I leapt backwards out of range with remarkable agility, for me!

Heres another one!

Spiders crossing my path a lot lately!

This may be some sort of crab spider, moved sideways!???

Attachments

• 27.7 spider.jpg
    27.7 spider.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 156
buzzard12 said:
Spiders crossing my path a lot lately!

This may be some sort of crab spider, moved sideways!???

I've seen some like that here, I think. Very tiny, aren't they? Meanwhile, Madame was busy doing this. Was she putting a little something by for later or was this beakfast?! Sorry about the contrasty light, it was very early.

Attachments

• yel and bl spiders 018.jpg
    yel and bl spiders 018.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 159
I had a zebra spider in my bedroom today and i am ashamed to say this but it did scare me and i straight away put it in a pot so i couldn't go anywhere and i would know where it was at all times. I am just going to go and let it outside in a field near me. I think spiders are quite cute but when they are near me i do freak out. So you could say i do have a fear of spiders.
The only worry that i have now is that it has bred in my bedroom and that i will soon have baby zebra spiders in my room. I really would not like that to really be honest.
Do you think that they will have bred?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back