• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss slide-on adaptor compatability (1 Viewer)

Dave Appleton

I've been digiscoping with a Nikon Coolpix P5000 and a Zeiss slide-on adaptor (not sure precisely what they're called but it looks something like these). This is connected to the camera using a UR-E20 converter ring.

The adaptor simply slides over the eye piece extremely quickly and easily and requires absolutely no fiddling around to secure it, and the set up produces some reasonably good results.

I want to upgrade the camera to something a bit better (which has now become more urgent as I dropped it) but I am struggling to find any better or newer camera that can take the same adaptor set up, or any equivalent that is so simple to use. None of them seem to have the screw thread around the lens that the P5000 has.

Some of the better cameras appear to have a bayonet fitting around the lens instead - but is there anything that will act in place of the UR-E20 to connect the Zeiss slide-on adaptor to any of these cameras?

Would be interested to hear recommendations for suitable cameras and/or adaptors. I also use the camera for macro work, so ideally it should be good for that too!

Thanks!

Thanks Bob - that looks like it might be better than anything I've seen yet. For it to work without vignetting I think it would have to take the place of the UR-E20 step down ring, and thus the smaller end would need to be 28 mm. If I understand the spec for the Griturn DC mount you linked to correctly, that model isn't 28 mm, but does anyone know if there's a version or equivalent that is?

The tiny photo of the DC mount in the link and the description doesn't make it clear to me how easy it is to fit - I think it attaches to the camera via the tripod socket (is that what they mean by tripod bush?), but I'm not sure if it's as quick and easy as it currently is for me to screw on the UR-E20 and adaptor - I have to take that on and off as I flip between digiscoping and macro photography (they get in the way when I'm doing macros).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back