• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

choice between two scopes - advice? (1 Viewer)

ABCY 1

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade from my 30 year old Bushnell Spacemaster II which I use with a 22x eyepiece. I need something with decent image quality, lightweight/portable and on a budget of 4-500 $Australian. Given options and prices here, that means importing for me. I'm considering two ED scopes with zoom eyepieces that have had a bit of comment on this forum: the Helios Fieldmaster ED 60 (the Theron Saker clone) and the Delta Optocs Titanium 65ED (Promaster clone, or close to it). If anyone has any thoughts on these, or alternative suggestions, I'd be grateful.

I'd be using the scope for birding, primarily in wetlands.

thanks!

Either one is a good choice. I have owned the Saker and do own the Promaster. I like the Promaster more because of....

a) smaller and more compact

b) Wide angle zoom plus the option of using any 1.25 inch eyepiece with it

The Saker (Fieldmaster) is a great scope for the price and has good image quality but I tend to prefer the Promater (Delta).

I've just advised another member against buying a zoom, so feel compelled to say that again! Almost without exception zoom lenses are seriously compromised on quality, compared with a single focal length lens. As you have long experience using one I suggest you continue to do so. A modern ED scope with similar magnification to your current scope should give you improved viewing performance, all being well with increased field of view.

issues with zoom eyepieces

thanks grbrown. I do have concerns about zooms, and if I could find a decent ED 60 or 65mm scope with 27 or 30x eyepiece in my price range I'd buy it. Some secondhand options out there but that's a lottery if you have to freight it halfway around the world. So I have have looked out the most promising zooms I can afford, and I'm hoping that there may be fixed eyepieces to fit these models in due course.

Any recommendations welcome of course!

I've just advised another member against buying a zoom, so feel compelled to say that again! Almost without exception zoom lenses are seriously compromised on quality, compared with a single focal length lens.

Are you saying that only in reference to cheap scopes? Because it's not really true anymore with nicer zoom EP's. The Zoom EP's on modern alpha scopes are essentially as good as fixed EP's in most respects, and there are several high quality zooms available at lower prices (e.g. the much acclaimed Baader Hyperion Zoom and the various Swaro 20-60x zoom clones like those on the Zen ED / Vortex Razor HD scope).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back