• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron DBA 10x42 bins (1 Viewer)

geedub

Just been field testing my new set of Opticron 10x42 DBA bins and feel compelled to tell everyone just how good they are. After much soul searching (and bank balance checking) and reading countless reviews on Leica, Zeiss et al I decided to upgrade from my old Opticron Imagic 10x42's which were, incidentally pretty good bins, to the flagship model in the Opticron range.

WOW! Not only are they indistinguishable optically (in my opinion anyway) from their more expensive counterparts from Europe but at £579 from WarehouseExpress I've managed to save a fair few quid in the bargain.

Don't be put off by their "lack of prestige", these bins are superb - good eye relief, lightweight, superb resolution, what more can I say? Well done Opticron!

Good post!.

Why don't you write a review in a couple of weeks after really using them?. It could be useful to other members looking at bins?.

Yes, good idea Alan. I'm off to Pembrokeshire soon for a weeks birding and dolphin spotting so this will be an ideal time to put the DBAs through their paces. Watch this space!

New DBAs

I was about to purchase 8x42 DBAs from WExpress when the updated DBAs appeared at the higher price. Has anyone seen an independent review of the new vs the old?

Thanks,
Hugh

you're unlikely to no Kudos factor. You might want to see if the DBA's get marked down - can't believe Opticron will keep the old model in production.

138mph said:
I was about to purchase 8x42 DBAs from WExpress when the updated DBAs appeared at the higher price. Has anyone seen an independent review of the new vs the old?

Thanks,
Hugh

It would be interesting to know how the the DBA performs against one of the big names such as a Leica BN Trinovid 8x42.

For value for money Opticron do deliver. Their ES80 GA ED scope performs up there with the "big boys" for two thirds of the price, and their bins similarly. My old Imagics were not really any worse than my latest Zeiss model, at least not with my eyesight. :eek!:

Leif said:
It would be interesting to know how the the DBA performs against one of the big names such as a Leica BN Trinovid 8x42.
Since no further replys have appeared, here are my two cents...
The Opticron is now available in Finland (since last year). I have no specific information about DBAs but the Opticron 8x32 BGA-PC was in a recent binocular test with a broad selection of binoculars of different price classes. The test included measurements of optical assemblies (alignment, prisms), resolution, light transmission and reflections. The Opticrons (385€) fared very well; otherwise they were "good" but the transmission was "average" (about the same as more expensive Pentax SP and Kamakura Flat MC). They also mentioned that BGAs performed very well in star tests. Only the Swaro SLCs and Nikon HGs were "excellent" in all tests. Eg. the Swaro EL was "only" average in reflection tests. The Leica Trinovids were not in this test.

One very knowledgeable reseller told me that one of the biggest differences between the BGA and the Leica class is that in the Opticron BGAs (again, don't know about the DBAs) the lenses are glued, whereas in the top makes, the lenses are attached using screw mounts. This may make a difference in long-term serviceability.

Ilkka

Leif said:
Opticron might not be available in Finland? Anyway, I'm sure you have an opinion on the quality of the DBA ...

OF COURCE WE HAVE EVERYTHING, EVEN WE LIVE IN THE MARGIN OF EUROPE. LATEST LINNUT-BIRD MAGAZINE IS ONE PAGE ADVERTISE OF OPTICRON ! ASK FIRST, SO YOU KNOW MORE !!!! ;)
Hannu :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back