• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea watching sites. (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
I’m coming down on Friday to do the Penzance pelagic on Saturday morning but dependent on traffic might have some birding time on Friday afternoon. Hopefully someone can help me with some info

I’ve been to Porthgwarra before but never to pendeen or the lizard. What is the situation for parking and optimum spots like at those places.

On my visit to Porthgwarra there were birders around the whole time. I’d that likely to be the case at pendeen or the lizard. It’s nice to get confirmation of stuff on sea-watches

Edit. Oh it’s probably the wrong time of year but is there anywhere I’d be likely to see divers at this time of year. Still Need all of them for the year

Last edited:
Hi Owene. I'm not really a sea-watcher but I'd say it depends very much on the wind direction that Friday.
Parking at Pendeen is OK, just head for the lighthouse (Pendeen Watch) - not a huge parking area but you should be OK.

If there is any south in the wind head for PG or The Lizard. At the latter you just park in the big carpark and walk south to watch from the end.
If the wind is west or north of that go to Pendeen. Small carpark in front of the lighthouse or park alongside the approach road with care. Or there is a lower carpark down to the right of the lighthouse. Most people go around the right side of the lighthouse compound and watch from the north side. Others drop lower down the slope, and some watch from the lower carpark. All depends how high you like to be and how many people you want to sit with.

Thanks guys that just what I wanted to know . Will pay attention to the wind direction. I guess the biggest thing will be what the traffic is like on the way down but hopefully I will get some time somewhere

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back