• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

Second winter Common Gull, 9 Curlew, Avocet, Snipe, Green Sandpiper, 20 Lapwing, 82 Teal, 65 Shoveler, 8 Gadwall

From the Moors Pool this morning Des reports:

12 Snipe, 4 Curlew, 65 Lapwing, first winter Common Gull, 2 Pochard, 8 Gadwall, 18 Teal, Grey Wagtail

From the Moors Pool yesterday morning JTB reported:

Little Grebe 7, Shoveler 15, Teal 12, Gadwall 16, Tufted Duck 30+, Pochard, Coot 40, Water Rail 3 calling, Snipe 35, Curlew. Lapwing 50, Grey Wagtail 3, Pied Wagtail 3, Cetti's Warbler 3 singing, Kingfisher, Song Thrush

Stonechat and Dunlin earlier as per Tony Burberry

At the Flashes yesterday evening JTB reported:

Teal 95, Shoveler 35+, Gadwall 5, Coot 54, Water Rail 3 (including a juvenile), Curlew 8, Dunlin, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Snipe, Lapwing 60, Peregrine, Barn Owl 2, Starling 200+.

Roost - no sign of the Caspian Gull but 2 Yellow-legged Gulls (both adults), 1200 Herring Gulls, 2000+ LBB Gulls, 2100 BH Gulls, 2 Common Gulls (adult and first winter). Also an extremely dark juvenile gull reminiscent of an American Herring Gull but considered to a LBB Gull.

From the Moors Pool yesterday morning JTB reported:

Little Grebe 7, Shoveler 15, Teal 12, Gadwall 16, Tufted Duck 30+, Pochard, Coot 40, Water Rail 3 calling, Snipe 35, Curlew. Lapwing 50, Grey Wagtail 3, Pied Wagtail 3, Cetti's Warbler 3 singing, Kingfisher, Song Thrush

Stonechat and Dunlin earlier as per Tony Burberry

PM....Add mipit over and 1st winter Common gull.
Yesterday I saw and heard water rail in all 3 hides I visted North Moors, East hide and Avocet hide....I was told that other people saw water rail from all hides on the reserve, apart from the cuckoo hide which no one had visted.
At the North Moors there were 2 Cetti's singing and 2 water rails.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (1)---------------Curlew (5)
Snipe (2)----------------Green Sand (1)
Teal (85------------------Shoveler (35)
Gadwall (6)--------------BARN OWL (2)- 3 seen by some observers @ 18.40 onwards.
Meadow Pipit------------Common Gull (2w)
B H Gull (2500)---------Y L Gull (ad)
Other large gulls-thousands!
Large, very dark brown gull seen by JTB yesterday was present and filmed by Andy Warr.
Chiffchaff----------------Stonechat (f)-well right of sewage works.

MOORS/ N MOORS*
Curlew (5)---------------Snipe (12)
Lapwing (65)------------Teal (18)
Gadwall (16)------------Shoveler (12)
Pochard (2m)-----------Tufted Duck (22)
Little Grebe (3)---------G C Grebe (1)
Grey Wagtail------------Common Gull (1w)
B H Gull (87)------------Herring Gull (6)
L B B Gull (45)----------Raven
Pheasant (2)------------Water Rail (2)
Kestrel-------------------Redwing-small parties moving east to west throughout the day.
Chiffchaff----------------Nuthatch*
Coal Tit (1) (1)*

+ Banded Demoiselle along the river, eclipsing last weeks latest ever siting in Worcestershire in virtually the same area.

Des.

What time did the dark gull come in the last two nights?

Andy Warr first saw the bird tonight from the Cuckoo hide independently from the rest of us in the main hide. Andy contacted me at 18.33 and he had first seen the bird about 5 mins before the 'phone call. I don't know when John saw the bird on Tuesday.

Des.

Just gone half way through October and the monthly list presently stands on 89 species; a little bit of work still required to reach the average October total of 95.33 species.

Potential additions include (year ticks in bold):

Whooper Swan, Pintail, Scaup, Goldeneye, Red Kite, Merlin, Grey Plover, Golden Plover, Ruff, Redshank, Great Black-backed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Short-eared Owl, Tawny Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Rock Pipit, Fieldfare, House Sparrow, Brambling, Yellowhammer

I have now had a return on the ringed Black-headed Gull sporting white leg ring TCP7 noted by Mike W on the 22nd August 2019.

The bird was ringed as a nestling on the 20th May 2019 at Zwirownia near Krakow, Poland. It was then noted at the nearby Brzegi in Poland on the 6th June before two sightings at Rehbach in eastern Germany on the 7th and 14th July prior to its occurrence at Upton Warren.

Andy Warr first saw the bird tonight from the Cuckoo hide independently from the rest of us in the main hide. Andy contacted me at 18.33 and he had first seen the bird about 5 mins before the 'phone call. I don't know when John saw the bird on Tuesday.

Des.

C 6.20pm Des

At the Flashes this morning Phil W reports:

1 Avocet, 12 Curlew, 3 Snipe, 26 Lapwing, 64 Teal, 20 Shoveler, lots of Meadow Pipits

Phil also reports the Jack Snipe again at the Moors Pool.

I have had a further return on ringed Black-headed Gull sporting yellow leg ring T81U noted by Mike W at the Flashes on the 12th October 2019.

This bird was ringed in the nest at Truskaw, just a few miles north-west of Warsaw in Poland, on the 6th June 2019. There have been no other sightings of this bird.

Top marks to the Polish ringing coordinators - I had a response in less than 4 hours of its submissions.

Last edited:
Tonight's gull roost at the Flashes included the second winter Caspian Gull again plus 2 adult Yellow-legged Gulls and w Common Gulls as per Andy Warr.

For anyone trying for the Caspian Gull over the weekend the larger gulls have been roosting on the first flash given the higher water level, do try viewing from the Cuckoo Hide. And remember the Sailing Centre car park officially shuts at 4pm so park either at Webbs or at the Moors Pool and walk around.

Nice to see four, probably five, Jack Snipes on the Promontary at the Moors from about 16.30hrs. when they became a bit more active: 3 "bobbing" at once at one point.
Later the Flashes gull roost contained the 2nd. winter Caspian Gull again (plus a Common Gull and a Yellow-legged Gull amongst the throng of LBB and Herring and Black-headed Gulls) Photo in the gloom just before the atrocious weather arrived!

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 93
The Barn Owls did not appear from the barn at the Flashes tonight, as expected with the driving rain. However, one appeared in the hedge by the hide, and then on the fence, when the rain lessened about 18.40; we didn't see this bird leave the barn--- maybe a young one now hunting for itself?

KITTIWAKE briefly at the Flashes resting in the rails then the water before flying off as per JTB.

Also Avocet, Curlew 11, Lapwing 60, Shoveler 35, Teal 60, Meadow Pipits 10, Redwing 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back