• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron bins? (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lee

Hi does any one have anything to say about opticron bins.

I have been birding at a local resreve today and whilst I am really happy with my bushnell Nature view 8x42 i saw a pair of Opticron 10x42 for sale for a reasonable price.

Whilst I dont have much money to spend on new optics, ( two kids in further education and a climbing obsession to fund) i found I was limited to what I couls see of the smaller waders without something more powerful.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Cheers

Trevor :t:

Better say which model, Opticron make dozens, however I
don't think changing from 8x to 10x going to make an awful lot of difference. Better off getting a small scope with a 20x or 30x eyepiece. My first scope was a Bushnell Spacemaster (not very high spec) many years ago and it had a really big impact on my enjoyment. you don't have to spend thousands... £150-200 should get a reasonable second hand scope.
Anyway that's just my opinion.

I have Opticron bins and really like them. But I agree with what Nick-on says. Opticron probably do a good priced 'scope as well (though I've never used one).

You may not see much difference between 10x and 8x magnification, but the 8x42 will have more light-gathering than 10x42 (multiply the objective number by the magnification and the greater the number, the more light-gathering power - someone correct me if I'm off). They'll be a bit lighter too.

I have the Opticron BGA 8x42, bought a couple of years ago second-hand, and they have been OK, but lately I am having thoughts that either the focus is not as good as it was, or my eyes are getting worse! I'll probably go for some Nikons next time. I tried them at the Bird Fair against others and found them to be the best for my eyes.

I also have the Opticron ES80 telescope and I am very pleased with this, even for digiscoping, although I will probably upgrade when funds allow.

I have a pair of Opticron 10x42HiRes which I have had for a few years now. They have decent optics, though don't really compare well against the Leica 8x32's that I now mainly use.

Me and partnyorsha both have a pair of Opticrons.

If I had all the money in the world and could get hold of one of the real top quality brands, then I'd change before you could say "chromatic aberration".

But for the price (£105 and £95 about 4 years ago), ours are great.

We have Countryman, I think; I have 10 x 42s, partnyorsha has 8 x 42s - and for the record, we can't use each others!

Surprisingly, the 10 x 42s are lighter (must be more air in them or something :brains: ), but it's only grams.

I have the Hi-res 10 x 42 and they have been fine, apart from the 'leather' effect which has all peeled off as a result of contact with Deet mossie repellant.

My girlfriend has the Sequoiah 10 x 42 and we had some trouble with these getting them properly aligned (eventually sorted out under warranty). Optically not as good as the hi-res but cheaper.

Best to try the pair you're interested in and compare with other models - somewhere like In Focus usually have a good selection.

It's down to personal preference and your eyes - I wear spectacles and find it hard to get a good view through the Sequoiah's, the Hi-res are fine if you peel back the eyecups.

It depends what you want to pay as Opticron have an enormous range. I have Opticron imagic 8X42 bins and an Opticron HR66A telescope. I did have to have the Opticron bins looked at as they must have received a knock and wouldn't focus properly after I had them for some time. The repairer said that for the money these bins were good in value in his estimation and since that repair (which was free under 30 year warranty) some two years ago I have had no trouble and consider that at least for my eyesight and my level of birding expertise both the Opticron items are good value for money. As usual try before you buy as what suits me may not suit you at all.

HI Trevor.
I use opticron 10x32 bins and imagic 65 scope with 16-48x zoom
eyepiece HDF. and find them a nice piece of kit, there is a good
range of opticron and they dont melt the plastic.
bert

digi-birder.
Are you thinking of twilight factor, which is the square root of the objective diametre x magnification, or geometric light gathering which is the exit pupil squared. Purely mathematics, and says nothing of the prism, lens coatings, manufacture etc.

Thanks to you all for your input.

I think I will wait a while till I have some more funds and go for a telescope.

It would appear I would'nt be gaining anything by upgrading.

Thanks

Trevor

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back