• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Sibley Guide to Birdlife and Behavio(u)r (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
I saw this reviewed by the Fatbirder ages ago. My question is, is it of interest to us non US birders who are unlikely to visit the US soon?

many thanks

Probably not. It does not discuss individual birds in that much detail. I do read it from time to time. I prefer a Ken Kaufman book tha has something about bird life in the titl and sells for under 25$.

OK, here
Lives of North American Birds
Kenn Kaufman
Larger view Paperback, November 2001
Other Formats: Hardcover
Our Price: $25.00
The hard cover is a bit flimsy, paperback just as good.

Sibley discusses bird families. It is useful in seeing the relationship of close species and general guidelines of what this and that family generally does, but lots of fun detail missing. It has a lot of experts writing the chapters, so the info is accurate, but a bit too academic.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Tero -- if you're not coming to the US, then it's probably much too 'American' to be of great interest to you.

The Kauffman book is excellent, by the way.

I have to say that this is one of my favourite books. Despite being aimed at the American market, it is very easy to read.
Part 2 of the book splits birds into families, many of which are common to both the U.S. and Europe, so whilst the specifics are American it doesn't detract from providing some very useful information.

Opening the book at random I have chosen the section on Swallows and Martins. Following a very short introduction there are short sections on taxonomy, species variation, food and foraging, breeding, conservation, and accidential species to the U.S.

Part 1 goes into more detail about birds in general, discussing flight, plumage, moult (molt) physiology, origins, evolution, classification,species concepts, behaviour (behavior), migration, communication, breeding, habitats, populations, parasites, conservation, etc.

All in all, well worth getting.

Darrell

I have read several sections in the Part 2 descriptions. They have beenwell written, and had most of the info I was uneducated in. But I would never read this cover to cover.

And I don't think it was intended to be read that way. It's definitely a reference book. But, unlike Kaufman's book, this one can take a bit of lesiurely time discussing overall characteristics of birds: their unique anatomy, their behaviors, and whatnot. I have both in my collection, and I find them quite compatible, almost two sides of one coin; both indispensable. Together they make quite the (poor man's) compendium, far more affordable than the AOU/Cornell "Birds of North America" project (at 1800.00 USD, of which there are only a handful left anyway).

I bought it looking for a good general book on bird behaviour and - mostly - liked it. The very general Part 1 is only the first 120 pages of 564 pages of main text, but since the rest of the book is mostly at a per-genus level than a per-species level there is a decent amount of UK-applicable material. It is also a bit more general than you would expect from the title, with a good bit on conservation info and so on.

It is pretty readable and I found interesting snippets in pretty much every genus account, but then I haven't been interested in this sort of thing for long, so much is new and fresh to me.

Re: Sibley Guide to bird behaviour

I think that it would be ok for non US birders because it targets bird famliles and not just bird species. I have it and like it.
Avillage

Never been to the States, and no intention of going any time soon, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading both Sibley's (cover to cover).

Darrell Clegg said:
I have to say that this is one of my favourite books. ...

All in all, well worth getting.

Darrell

Agreed. But it would have been much beter if it had references so one could read more on a given subject if one wanted. In this sense I prefer the Birder's Handbook by Erhlich et al (of which there is also a version dedicated to European birds).

Dalcio

dacol said:
Agreed. But it would have been much beter if it had references so one could read more on a given subject if one wanted. In this sense I prefer the Birder's Handbook by Erhlich et al (of which there is also a version dedicated to European birds).

Dalcio
Is your edition the 1988 and has there been a later one? There are a whole bunch available for sale from various online booksellers but none are later than '88.

Katy Penland said:
Is your edition the 1988 and has there been a later one? There are a whole bunch available for sale from various online booksellers but none are later than '88.

I will have to check which year my edition of The Birder's Handbook is, but I suspect that it is the 1988, which looks like to be the only one.
The European one came later and the title starts with "The Birdwatcher's Handbook" instead, published in 1994 by Ox. Uni. Press.

Dalcio

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back