• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 2.5x extender (1 Viewer)

william j clive

Has anyone tried or purchased the Opticron extender? If so, is it any good. They have a push on fit, so should be quickly attached. Any comments would be appreciated.

Clive Jones

The extender is in no way a replacement for a proper scope. BUT having said that it is rather handy on long walks, in rough terrain, on a shopping trip and anywhere else that you might not otherwise have a scope with you (I take it that you do have your binocs under your jacket in the supermarket - just in case!).
I have at least tried the extender with various binoculars from Opticron, Swarovski, Nikon and Zeiss. By fitting the right size adapter ring you can simply slide the adapter over the eyepiece of most binoculars. As for the image quality - the better the quality of the binocs then the better the image gained when using the adapter. The nice thing about this adapter is it does simply slide over the eyepiece, unlike the Swarovski adapter which is fiddly as you have to unscrew the eyecup. And it should also be noted that the Opticron extender works with a great range of telescope eyepieces (e.g. a 20x eyepiece becomes 50x). But again, the image quality isn't great.
To be fair, the image tends to be rather dark, and (even with decent binocs) not sharp right to the edges. But in a crisis better than nothing.
If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful way to boost the magnification, then the Opticron extender may well be a useful piece of kit. Saves carrying a scope all day in situations where you may never use one, but wish you had it with you if something does turn up.
Comes in a handy little pouch with a belt loop. Easy to take anywhere.
Surprised you haven't ahd more replies to your request. I seem to see the extender everywhere (at least in the UK and Scandinavia).

seawatcher Comes in a handy little pouch with a belt loop. Easy to take anywhere. Surprised you haven't ahd more replies to your request. I seem to see the extender everywhere (at least in the UK and Scandinavia).[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for that, seawatcher, and offering your valued opinion.

Clive

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back