• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rwanda/Uganda/Kenya W (1 Viewer)

Sussex bird man

Hi All,

I've booked a two-week holiday to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. My other half's interest is in the gorillas but for me I'm trying to sus out what the birding is like at particular locations - given that this isn't a birding trip per se!

The route goes Kigali-Ruhengeri-Bunyoni-Ngamba Island/Entebbe-Jinja-Eldoret-Nakuru-Naivasha-Masai Mara-Nairobi. Of these countries I've only been to Kenya before and then only Tsavo W/E and Mombasa.

I've searched these forums but I'm struggling to find anything on these locations. Any ideas, thoughts? The route is a done-deal so I'm just trying to maximise what I can get out of the trip!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Martin

It seems I'm posting in the wrong place!! Sorry......

Last edited:
In Rwanda, if you can change teh itinerary, try to add the NYUNGWE forest (South-West of Rwanda), one of the best primary forests in Africa. You can see lots of "Albertine Rift" endemics including the Red-Collared mountain babbler (+ Rwenzori turaco is easy to see,...). If you go there, you've to book a guide (ranger) from the park office to come with you in the forest, try to get Claver, he knows all the birds & their songs. Nyungwe is also a good place to see monkeys (chimpanzees, colobus,...), butterflies,...

When you walk for the gorillas, you're with other tourists, so you don't really have the time to stop to watch birds (+ the Volcanoes NP isn't as rich as Nyungwe). LOTS of people are living in the Ruhengeri/Volcanoes NP area >> farmlands everywhere >> not so many birds outside the protected areas.

I hope this will help you out.

Xavier

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back