• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Down load problem (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
I recently changed from a Canon 7Dmk11 to a 5D mkiv and am using Lightroom 5.7.1 64 bit and cannot open the photos any suggestions?I also have FastStone Image Viewer and this opens them with no problem.

Geoff

Last edited:
Adobe stopped issuing camera updates for old versions of Photoshop so I presume they have for Lightroom too. They want you to upgrade the the monthly payment plan to be able to use the latest camera RAW's. I had the same problem with my 1DX2.
There are two ways I have found to get round it.
1) Open your files in Canon's DPP programme and convert to a TIFF file. Problem is it's a very slow and tedious process and you have to convert one at a time.Big files too.
2) Download a free DNG converter from Adobe. It will convert a large number of RAWs pretty quickly and these, like TIFF's, can then be opened and processed in old versions of Photoshop.There doesn't seem to be any gain by going down the bigger file TIFF route from what I can see.
For what I want to do with an image there is no discernible difference between CS6 and the latest online version. I used online for a year but when they bumped the price by 50% I went back to CS6.

My wife had a similar problem with her Panasonic G80 RAWs not being recognized in Elements 14. As Dave suggested above, she used the free Adobe DNG converter instead to save upgrading to Elements 15. It is possible to batch convert the RAWs into TIFFs which can then be edited in 14. The TIFFs have a much greater file size than the original RAWs so, to save hard drive space, she deletes the TIFFs after editing.

We have had this problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements nearly every time we upgrade our cameras and consider Adobe are becoming rather greedy lately by not issuing updates to their previous programmes and almost insisting that you install the latest version.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back