• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exit Pupil Constraints (1 Viewer)

An 88 mm scope is diffraction limited at 1.3 arcseconds. at 50x magnification that's 65 arcseconds. The people who can see deterioration "well before they get to it", that is who see details below an arcminute, are one in aillion prodigies. Maybe on a carefully crafted and perfectly illuminated pattern or something with extreme contrast like sunspots, but on a typical messy texture, human eye is nowhere as good.

If you indeed see this effect at these levels, then either you have literally won the genetic lottery or what limits you is not diffraction, but heat haze, eyepiece quality, residual chromatic aberation of telescope or whatever else is in you way.

Opisska,

My left eye acuity is 66", my right 72", and 62" with both, but these days my vision is on the decline, and I need the aid of a very good optometrist.

It could be genetics. My mothers eyesight was extremely good, and last time I checked, my son's binocular acuity was between 5" and 10" better than mine.

My preferred natural targets for testing are high contrast twigs against the sky at somewhere around 150 to 250m, but I can get pretty close with messy ones if the light is good. My son is better than me on those. My optometrist tells me it's not only my acuity, but my perception that is is rather unusual too, but I know very well there are others that can better me.

David

Last edited:
remember that the lines from König & Köhler were written at a time when fluorite loaded ED glass was not yet discovered and the only way to get ok colour correction in a fast refractor (faster than f15 or so - nobody in their right mind would have tried todays f5.5 back then) was to use a triplet objective with expensive Sonderglas - which were pretty much reserved to astro telescopes.

See http://www.monocular.info/cz_asiola.htm for what was still a very good spotting scope back then...

Funny you should mention the Asiola. I had one myself for quite some time, and with modern coatings that would still be pretty competitive nowadays ... :) CA was pretty well controlled in the Asiola, magnifcations up to 42x were no problem at all.

Hermann

Hi Herrmann,

I believe that the Asiola works well up to 42x (not yet been able to try one) - I'm quite sure Zeiss wouldn't have sold it that way if it didn't. It probably wouldn't fare so well at 60x or beyond (as some tests on astro pages show...).

Joachim

IIRC Zeiss-Jena or maybe even Docter used to produce a scope in 60 mm and 80 mm versions that looked very much like half an Aspectem. It seems though that the new owners, Noblex have discontinued the Aspectem.

Hermann & Joachim,

On that monocular info site you linked, there is also a reference to the Docter Aspectem 60/375 and 80/500 spotting scopes.

John

Hi,

I found a 60mm Aspectem with the legendary 12.5mm EP on german eBay and luckily it was straight... otherwise I would have been very tempted...

Joachim

Opisska,

My left eye acuity is 66", my right 72", and 62" with both, but these days my vision is on the decline, and I need the aid of a very good optometrist.

It could be genetics. My mothers eyesight was extremely good, and last time I checked, my son's binocular acuity was between 5" and 10" better than mine.

My preferred natural targets for testing are high contrast twigs against the sky at somewhere around 150 to 250m, but I can get pretty close with messy ones if the light is good. My son is better than me on those. My optometrist tells me it's not only my acuity, but my perception that is is rather unusual too, but I know very well there are others that can better me.

David

That is amazing. Your whole family should consider amateur astronomy as a hobby :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back