• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A New Binocular Brand is Launched (3 Viewers)

Hello forum friends,

Some of you may remember me from when I was president at Zeiss. Others perhaps not, but as the owner and CEO of GPO,USA, I will try to stay in touch to answer any questions that arise. While at Zeiss, I would engage Q&A discussions from a corporate and business perspective. I will do the same here. I look forward to future "spirited" discussions. ��

Mike Jensen
Owner/CEO
GPO, USA

Welcome back Mike! I always looked forward to reading your posts with your insights from the industry side. It is good to see you back posting again.

I'm kinda starting to like those clam shell style cases. I have the maven case that fits the 8x30 and have had no regrets purchasing it.

Those objective covers are a different story. Swaro's new objective cover approach incorporated on the field pro el seemed impressive; however, that was just in store and not out under field use.

CG

Welcome back Mike! I always looked forward to reading your posts with your insights from the industry side. It is good to see you back posting again.

Thanks Bruce. I remember our discussions. Hopefully GPO can bring similar discussions as we begin driving product into the market.

Mike, I am glad to see you here. I for one believe there is a great upside to your business model. Many here do not agree (as is obvious by the numerous Toric basher posts), but I think the gap has narrowed so much with the $1000 glass available today and the $2k+ "alphas". I believe I am qualified to say that since I own both classes of binoculars. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

GECO is the same product as the GPO line, rebranded for a shooting sports distribution company (RUAG) in Europe. Product will be co-branded for this shooting sports market in Europe "GECO - Designed by GPO". The GPO products will be sold to the European hunting market under the GECO brand, and will be sold to the Birding markets under the GPO brand. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer.
Is the binoculars 100% made by GPO in germany or is it a collaboration with another OEM maker? Where is your binoculars produced?

Many thanks

Thank you for your answer.
Is the binoculars 100% made by GPO in germany or is it a collaboration with another OEM maker? Where is your binoculars produced?

Many thanks

The products are not made by GPO in Germany, they are build in a worldwide well established manufacturing network. We design, write the specifications,(collaborative global effort) and then quality check everything in the Germany HQ of GPO. All production is returned to Germany for hands on QC management to ensure every item is built to our quality standards. From Germany, it is redistributed. Different products will have a different group of production networks, depending on what spec we want ours to have. Sorry, it's kind a vague answer, but it's really how global networks are building many brands of products. What's ultimately important is the quality of the finished product and the people behind the company bringing it to market. Hope this helps.

The products are not made by GPO in Germany, they are build in a worldwide well established manufacturing network. We design, write the specifications,(collaborative global effort) and then quality check everything in the Germany HQ of GPO. All production is returned to Germany for hands on QC management to ensure every item is built to our quality standards. From Germany, it is redistributed. Different products will have a different group of production networks, depending on what spec we want ours to have. Sorry, it's kind a vague answer, but it's really how global networks are building many brands of products. What's ultimately important is the quality of the finished product and the people behind the company bringing it to market. Hope this helps.

Big thank you for your answer🙂 looking forward to try your products.

Hello Mike,

Long time no see!

Sounds like the Leica Trinovid, Zeiss Conquest, pocket Victory and pocket rangefinder story;)

Jan

"We at GPO strive to bring you the best premium product line at the absolute best price/value ratios in the industry. We offer a powerful industry Spectacular Lifetime WarrantyTM"

I seem to recall someone indicating that warranty for bins in the EU is limited , by law, to 10 years. As ever, I am possibly wrong about this.

I think you're right. Perhaps the warranty will be extended after Brexit - LOL.

I think you're right. Perhaps the warranty will be extended after Brexit - LOL.

EU law doesn't limit warranties to 10 years, but the stipulation that warranties must be supported by stocks of spare parts to the original build specification that cannot be substituted by parts of a later improved specification, means that it is too expensive for manufacturers to give warranties longer than 10 years. This is how it was explained to me by an industry insider and if this is incorrect I would be happy to be corrected.

The 10 year warranties therefore appear to be an unintended consequence.

Lee

so what they are saying is they focus the unit, make sure they don't rattle....then pass them along....what else can you do with a finished unit.....

so what they are saying is they focus the unit, make sure they don't rattle....then pass them along....what else can you do with a finished unit.....

they sure can do much more than just focus the unit (and btw some models rattle by design...); imo qc is very important and is a part of the entire process that can always be improved---sample variation due to inadequate qc is a serious problem even for well-established manufacturers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back