• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Conquest HD - Focus Wheel Issue (2 Viewers)

Dave
I do a standardised focus speed test on the binos I review and I count how many turns it takes to refocus from a farmhouse I can see from my desk that is 2.5 miles away (pretty much infinity as far as birding is concerned) to a point in my office that is 2 metres away and Conquest HD 8x32 (a favourite of mine) does this in 0.5 turns. This is pretty quick and makes it great for getting on nearby dragonflies, then distant birds and then back close again for a butterfly or a nearby warbler. My Zeiss SF takes twice as long at 1.0 complete turn for the same distance and I prefer it for birding and other types of nature observation. Leica's Trinovid HD 8x32 at 0.70 turns is a good compromise between the two and it has a great short focus distance but lacks a little in field of view.

So there are alternatives out there that would give you different focusing characteristics.

Lee

I would like to see manufacturers to develop focuser systems with a kind of adjustable “multi-speed” mechanism. Perfect for dragonflies and lazy observing: SSF = Super Smart Focus :) It should be technically possible, shouldn't it? No demand for it?

Tom

I would like to see manufacturers to develop focuser systems with a kind of adjustable “multi-speed” mechanism. Perfect for dragonflies and lazy observing: SSF = Super Smart Focus :) It should be technically possible, shouldn't it? No demand for it?

Tom

It sounds a great idea but look at the problems regularly encountered with today's much simpler systems: free play (movement of the focus wheel with no corresponding shift in the point of focus), rough-feeling focus, focus too tight, focus too loose. focus has a different torque in one direction compared with the other, and don't lets get into dioptre adjustment problems which are part of the same system.

The complexity of switching from one gear ratio to another to move between fast and slow focusing would bring weight, free play and focus 'feel' issues with it.

Put it this way, how useful would it be to switch between magnifications on your binos? Would this be more obviously attractive to more people that switcheable focus speeds? I would think so, but how many brands apart from Leica offer binos with this facility?

On the other hand maybe a mechanical genius could come up with a lightweight compact and reliable system and prove me wrong.

Lee

Tom,

Kamakura Koki patented a simple practical variable speed focusing mechanism way back in 2008. Presumably it can be ordered now by any of Kamakura's OEM clients if they want it. Brunton binoculars used it in the past, but at the moment I think only Zeiss Gavia, Vortex Razor HD and Nikon Monarch HG spotting scopes have it. The post below has a link to the patent.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3531353&postcount=36

Henry

Last edited:
Tom,

Kamakura Koki patented a simple practical variable speed focusing mechanism way back in 2008. Presumably it can be ordered now by any of Kamakura's OEM clients if they want it. Brunton binoculars used it in the past, but at the moment I think only Zeiss Gavia, Vortex Razor HD and Nikon Monarch HG spotting scopes have it. The post below has a link to the patent.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3531353&postcount=36

Henry

Henry:

You have offered a nice view of what is available and why it is not commonly
used in binoculars.

It is too complex, not needed or wanted by 99% of binocular users.
I like to think of the KISS method, (keep it simple stupid).

We know what happened to Brunton, they failed with trying to promote a midrange product priced at the higher end.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Kamakurs's variable speed focuser isn't complex at all. It might seem so if you try to follow the patent text, but the figures reveal that the only difference between fixed speed and variable is the shape of the cam groove; straight for fixed and curved for variable.

I think the only reason there is so little demand for focusers of this type is ignorance of the advantages, especially for binoculars with very close focus.

Henry

Henry:

Thanks for that update, I did not read the patent info.

If it was important and really needed, the main line mfrs. would have brought this out many years ago.

Jerry

Update here, incase anyone is interested. I received my third pair of these binoculars from the retailer. Thankfully, this pair lacked the stickiness and jerkiness of the previous two. Wonderful! Sadly though, they do have a small amount of "play" when changing directions in the focus wheel. So far, it drives me crazy. I am hoping though that I will get used to it as I continue to use these binoculars. Again, the optics are exceptional. Overall, this has been frustrating.

Some month ago i bought a 10X32 an the play in the wheel was present....Know i bought a 10X42 and it is the same thing ! So or we are quite a lot to be very very unlucky or it is not so "exceptional" !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back