• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil,

Cheers for that. So in your opinon its not worth getting a G1 as a digiscoping camera if I'm using the swarovski zoom - the images would need to be heavily cropped?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, Zoom hold up

Mark,

I do not understand why you are held up by a 20-60 zoom lens? All zooms are known to be less digiscoping friendly than primes. A G1 costs a fair hunk of change, and a Swaro scope even more.

The Hyperion line of Baader eyepieces digiscope well with a 33mm diameter eye-lens and an eye relief of 20mm. They are available for only $119. USD. Swaro discontinued the adapter to fit these 1 1/4 inch astro barrel eyepieces, but that means one could be fabricated. I digiscope with my LX3 with 5mm, 8, 13, 17, and 24mm. Gene Smith

Last edited:
Mark,
I would still go for the G1 with the kit zoom lens and use a Manual Focus prime lens from Nikon for digiscoping. A 24 or 28 mm lens works well with the G1 and they are 52 mm filter threads. I quite easy using a MF lens with the G1's Electronic Viewfinder.
Although I would get the G2 now as the viewfinder is improved and it has HD video.
Neil.

Neil,

Cheers for that. So in your opinon its not worth getting a G1 as a digiscoping camera if I'm using the swarovski zoom - the images would need to be heavily cropped?

Cheers,

Mark

Was out in the local park again to test various lenses on the G1. The Zeiss 28.2.0 Distagon T , Nikon 24/2.8 D, Olympus 50/2.0 Macro and Voigtlander 35/2.5 lenses.
The view through the Zeiss was nice although light levels were about 1 stop lower than the Nikon ( the Zeiss is a long lens ). As I was manually focusing through the Electronic Viewfinder ( EVF ) I found it easier to see sharp focus with the "digital enhancement" function.
To support the weight of camera and lens I used my Balance Bar ( the Zeiss is heavy ). I used a 20x eyepiece to fill frame with the flamingos and geese from 25 - 50 metres.
The first photo was taken with the G10 to show the area from behind the railings. The 2nd,3rd photo were with the Zeiss and the 4th,5th photos were with the Nikon lens.
Neil

Panasonic G1 plus Zeiss28/2 and Nikon 24/2.8 on Swarovski STM80HD scope and Sw20x eyepiece and Balance Bar

Hong Kong,
China.
June 2010

Attachments

• kowloon park G10 rawIMG_1194.jpg
    kowloon park G10 rawIMG_1194.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 168
  • flamingo G1 zeiss28 sw20x_1850764.jpg
    flamingo G1 zeiss28 sw20x_1850764.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 236
  • bc night heron G1 zeiss28 sw20x_1860362.jpg
    bc night heron G1 zeiss28 sw20x_1860362.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 263
  • bc night heron G1 nik24mm lens sw20x c_1870148.jpg
    bc night heron G1 nik24mm lens sw20x c_1870148.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 236
  • flamingo G1 nik24mm lens sw20x_1860997.jpg
    flamingo G1 nik24mm lens sw20x_1860997.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 213
Digiscoping with the Panasonic kit zoom lens (14-45 mm )

I've been asked about the kit zoom lens a bit recently so I thought I would shoot with it today as I hadn't used it for a while. I used it with the Swaro 30x so as to minimise vignetting from around 17 - 25 mm ( the lens is 14 - 45 mm ).
These were shot from 8 - 30 metres which is the "sweet" spot for this lens.
The Tree Sparrow is probably the best I've taken with this lens from about 8 metres.
Neil

Panasonic G1 and Panasonic 14-45 zoom lens and Swarovski STM80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and balance bar

Hong Kong,
China
June 2010

Attachments

• bc night heron G1 pnzm26mm sw30x c_1880972.jpg
    bc night heron G1 pnzm26mm sw30x c_1880972.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 238
  • flamingo G1 panzm17mm sw30x P1100714.jpg
    flamingo G1 panzm17mm sw30x P1100714.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 199
  • flamingo G1 panzm18mm sw30x P1100618.jpg
    flamingo G1 panzm18mm sw30x P1100618.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 135
  • tree sparrow G1 panzm14mm sw30x_1880013.jpg
    tree sparrow G1 panzm14mm sw30x_1880013.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 377
I know you have used the 30x with your Swarovski with great success,I have been offered a 45x lens,would this also be suitable.
I have the Swarovski ATS80HD.
Reg

I've been asked about the kit zoom lens a bit recently so I thought I would shoot with it today as I hadn't used it for a while. I used it with the Swaro 30x so as to minimise vignetting from around 17 - 25 mm ( the lens is 14 - 45 mm ).
These were shot from 8 - 30 metres which is the "sweet" spot for this lens.
The Tree Sparrow is probably the best I've taken with this lens from about 8 metres.
Neil

Panasonic G1 and Panasonic 14-45 zoom lens and Swarovski STM80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and balance bar

Hong Kong,
China
June 2010

I know you have used the 30x with your Swarovski with great success,I have been offered a 45x lens,would this also be suitable.
I have the Swarovski ATS80HD.
Reg

The 45x is also a good eyepiece which I use when out on the mudflats and I need a bit more reach. It's only 18 mm of Eye Relief ( the 30x is 20 mm ) but this is enough if you can get the camera lens close enough. I use the DCA Zoom version adapter on the fixed eyepiece with tennis racket grip wrapped around it for a bit more support.
I always have it in my bag.
Neil.

Thanks Neil,I take it the 45x is suitable with the G1 or would I be better opting for the 30x.
Reg

The 45x is a bit much for gardens and parks. It's more suitable for mudflats/wetlands and cliffs. If you are digiscoping from 25 - 100 plus metres then the 45x is a good choice.
Neil.

Can anyone recommend a remote for the G1,wireless or cable.I am taking photographs fairly near to the birds and need to be able to distance myself from the camera.Most of them have a cable about 3ft long which is not longer enough.
Reg

budget help for student

I applaud all these professional looking pictures!
I am an Animal Ecology student , i am very active in the field .. I have just upgraded my Lumix TZ3 to a TZ6 , this suits me fine!
I have bresser safari 8x42 binoculars ...
Is there an adapter I can get to help me take long distance shots?? I was possibly going to upgrade to vangaurd 8x42 binoculars if that makes it easier??

thanks for any help......(please pm me if not a help to thread)

What a great thread.... but can I ask?

I have really enjoyed this thread.... so much information. But can I just ask a question please. I am new to digiscoping and just in the process of deciding what kit to buy. I intend buying the Swarovski 80HD scope but wondered if I should still choose the Lumix G1 or as it has been out for sometime should I consider any of the more recently released models like the G2??

Id be most grateful for your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I have really enjoyed this thread.... so much information. But can I just ask a question please. I am new to digiscoping and just in the process of deciding what kit to buy. I intend buying the Swarovski 80HD scope but wondered if I should still choose the Lumix G1 or as it has been out for sometime should I consider any of the more recently released models like the G2??

Id be most grateful for your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

The G2 is basically a G1 with HD video added so will operate the same way as the G1 , with equally good results.
Neil.

How do think the g1 would fair on my 14 yr old opticron hr66 ed, which is a cracking piece of kit for its age, currently use a fuji f40 for digiscoping, i would like to eventually upgrade to g1 or g2.
Edit, also can anyone recommend which way of mounting would be best?

How do think the g1 would fair on my 14 yr old opticron hr66 ed, which is a cracking piece of kit for its age, currently use a fuji f40 for digiscoping, i would like to eventually upgrade to g1 or g2.
Edit, also can anyone recommend which way of mounting would be best?

Michael,
It depends a lot on the eyepiece and the adapter that you use. The threads on the lens will screw onto an adapter. If you have a zoom eyepiece you need a fixed lens on the G1.
Neil.

I was out and about today with my digiscoping kit on Lamma Island. Having breakfast on the harbour there was a little bit of action around. I was using the Zeiss 28/2.0 lens on the G1.
The Little Egret and night heron were about 30 metres away and the Reef Egret was about 60 metres.
Neil.

Panasonic G1 plus Zeiss 28/2.0 lens and Swarovski STM80HD scope and Sw 25-50zoom (25x) eyepiece and Balance Bar

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2010

Attachments

• little egret G1 zeiss28_1910294.jpg
    little egret G1 zeiss28_1910294.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 204
  • little egret G1 zeiss28_1910335.jpg
    little egret G1 zeiss28_1910335.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 185
  • bc night heron G1 zeiss28 c_1910282.jpg
    bc night heron G1 zeiss28 c_1910282.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 199
  • reef egret G1 zeiss28 c_1910374.jpg
    reef egret G1 zeiss28 c_1910374.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 244
Hi Neil

I see here you were using the Zeiss 28/2.0 lens, how do you find it compares with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 Pancake Lens?

Thanks in advance

I was out and about today with my digiscoping kit on Lamma Island. Having breakfast on the harbour there was a little bit of action around. I was using the Zeiss 28/2.0 lens on the G1.
The Little Egret and night heron were about 30 metres away and the Reef Egret was about 60 metres.
Neil.

Panasonic G1 plus Zeiss 28/2.0 lens and Swarovski STM80HD scope and Sw 25-50zoom (25x) eyepiece and Balance Bar

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2010

Hi Neil

I see here you were using the Zeiss 28/2.0 lens, how do you find it compares with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 Pancake Lens?

Thanks in advance

David,
It's the best digiscoping lens I have bought recently, but it should be for the price. It's a weighty lens so needs a supported setup. It's better at distance than the Panasonic 20/1.7 P . It's a little better than my Nikons too but that difference is not so clear cut.
If money was no object I would get one of the new Leica M lenses for the G1 as they are much smaller and lighter than the Zeiss which is designed for the full framed Nikon/Canon DSLRs.
Neil.

Balance bar with the G1 setup

Hi Neil,

This must be a record for the longest running thread of all time- but for good reason! I think you're going to be the best thing that ever happened to Panasonic as soon as the world economy recovers and digiscopers everywhere can afford their new line of 4/3's.

Anyhow, to the question:

1) I notice that you use a balance bar to support many of the lens/camera combos that you use with your G1. I have an old homemade adapter that fits my Leica scope eyepieces much like the Swaro DCA, and I'd love to be able just to adapt the G1 to it. In your experience, is the camera heavy enough that you'd feel the need to use more support no matter which lens you use with it?

cheers,
Randy
(and yes, all of you other-side-of-the-ponders are allowed to think that's funny)

Some trial on the Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens.
Not easy to get sharp image comparing with the 14-45mm kit lens. May be due to the long reach. :t:

Panasonic G1 + Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens + Swarovski STS80HD scope + Sw 30X eyepiece + home made adapter.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 257
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back