• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice concerning my shiny new FZ28 (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi all and thanks for all the advice in all areas of this great forum.

I have just treat myself to an FZ28 and now I need to buy some kind of protection for the lens. I,m assuming that this would take the form of a screw in filter. Can anyone steer me in the right direction regarding the type I would need. I,m guessing that there are good quality and not so good but as I have paid a decent amount for the camera I dont want to then go and reduce the image quality by purchasing a cheap filter.

Does anyone know of an Open University course to learn how to use the darn thing by the way !!

My days of being a 'bird photographer' have started with more of a 'drunken stagger' than small steps. One reason being my mis-interpretation of zoom, here,s me thinking that as my binoculars are 8x .. using my super new 18x I will be able to take pictures of the bird's eyelashes !!

I have much to learn !!

Looking forwards to it though ......

Best wishes.

Dave

Thanks for your help guys, I,ll probably go for the 46mm option as its obviously more straight forward than having to buy an adapter too.

I might even treat myself to a book on the 'ins and outs' of digital photography if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Dave

Fair enough. But you'll need an adapter if you want to add a teleconverter. You'll find a X1.7 or X1.5 teleconverter very useful for bird photography with the FZ28 (or FZ18 for that matter). Check the threads on teleconverters here on this forum. I use the Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5 teleconverter, but a lot of people use the Olympus TCON-17 X1.7 which is also very good. This thread is good to read, I know it's about the FZ18 but much of it applies to the FZ28 and there's a lot about teleconverters. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=115869&highlight=TCON

Thanks for that Dave,

I think the way to go for me at the moment is to learn how to use my camera properly as I am a complete novice to the finer points of digital photography. Once I feel I can do justice to my gear then I will certainly look at getting my mitts on a teleconverter.

Small steps for me at the moment ..

Thanks once again for your help.

Best wishes

Dave

Fair enough. But you'll need an adapter if you want to add a teleconverter. You'll find a X1.7 or X1.5 teleconverter very useful for bird photography with the FZ28 (or FZ18 for that matter). Check the threads on teleconverters here on this forum. I use the Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5 teleconverter, but a lot of people use the Olympus TCON-17 X1.7 which is also very good. This thread is good to read, I know it's about the FZ18 but much of it applies to the FZ28 and there's a lot about teleconverters. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=115869&highlight=TCON

Duly noted. Thanks for that and for the link to the thread which should prove very helpful.

Regards

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back