• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Art of Field Sketching (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Hi all,

I've finished editing the latest newsletter for the KOS (Kent Onithological Society). Amongst other things it carries an interesting article by my good friend (and birding polymath) Norman McCanch on drawing birds. Its focus is on sketching birds in the field and was sparked by Norman's realisation that he'd now drawn over 300 species in the field in Kent. I suspect not many can claim to have sketched 300 birds in the whole country let alone a single county so this strikes me as quite an achievement. I'd guess that his nearest rivals would be that nest of bird artists now resident in (or habitues of) Norfolk.

If you'd like to see some of Norman's work have a look at his new (and still developing website - www.normanmccanch.co.uk

Hi John

you left the price of the report and contact address off your ad;-)

regards

mick

ps who used to have lighthouse sketchbook till someone swiped it.

My comment wasn't meant to advertise the newsletter - which is for KOS members - but rather highlight a) Norman's achievement and b) his website. Sorry to hear about Norman's book being swiped - you could try contacting him via has website as I think he might have the odd spare copy,

Not sure how I missed this thread? You're dead right, John - some achievement and beautiful work. I've still got my copy of 'Lighthouse' which I've enjoyed for years and years. The text is as good as the artwork.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back