• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image Stabilized Bins for Pelagics? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Seems like an obvious question, but couldn't find any significant discussion in past threads. Would it be worth buying some IS bins primarily for use on pelagic trips? My hope is that IS would make high mags, e.g. 15x or higher, practical on a boat, or at least provide a steadier image in average choppy conditions.

Found one comment suggesting Canon IS didn't work well on a boat, but there wasn't much detail on that, or comment as to whether other IS systems might work better.

Jim

There was a writeup some time ago which indicated that on the water the Fujinon 14x40 stabilized binocs were superior to the Canons, but there was no substantial explanation beyond some claims that the Fuji glass could stabilize a larger motion.
The Canon 10x42IS is fully waterproof and would be a good glass anywhere. However, the Fuji comes from a heritage of superb marine glasses, so even though it is even more awkward than the big Canon, it is probably the better choice for the very well heeled boater.

I've used Canon IS 10x30, 10x42L and 15x50 from a boat. Not in particularly rough seas, but in dull conditions with choppy waters or a significant swell. I'd say the ones that worked best for me were the 10x42L, possibly a combination of the IS and the superior optics.

Thanks for the info guys. I wear glasses, and Fuji probably not enough eye relief (listed at 13mm).

If anybody has brought both IS bins and regular bins on a pelagic and actively compared the two to see if they were able to see significantly more birds and/or see the birds significantly better with the IS bins, would love to hear about it.

Best,
Jim

If anybody has brought both IS bins and regular bins on a pelagic and actively compared the two to see if they were able to see significantly more birds and/or see the birds significantly better with the IS bins, would love to hear about it.

Best,
Jim

Not on long pelagics, but seawatching in rough weather, or from a boat while sailing out to islands, I've used non-IS and IS "binos side-by-side". The IS feature definitely provides far better views of birds over the water if the light is okay. Even the IS 10x30. The only drawbacks are narrower Field of View, more CA than my SV's, and duller image in poor light.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back