• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for information about Emil Kaempfer (1 Viewer)

Quick glance ...

Diário Oficial da União de 8 de fevereiro de 1945 (Seção I, p. 2167):
[...]
"Emil Kaempfer, natural da Alemanha, nascido a 7 de fevereiro de 1889, filho de Louis Kaempfer e de Ana Kaempfer, residente no Estado de São Paulo. "

[p.326]
Ouups! Apparently born in 1889 ... :eek!: ... in "Posen" (Poznań, in today's Poland) and fl. 1947 (when he flew to New York) ... wow!

But still (sorry, I wish I wasn't) a bit worried on the spelling of the Surname; Kaempfer vs Kämpfer ... as the following page, p.327, tells us about his wife, supposedly by the name "Kathe Kaempfer" ... isn´t Käthe a far more common name than "Kathe" in Germany (alt. Austria/Switzerland, or even the German parts of Poland)?

Either way, it´s just a thought, the Portuguese language is far, far of my turf (and the letter K is still far, too far, away in my MS).

I´ll deal with him, and dive into this Paper, later.

Cheers!

Björn

PS. Is there any birth record found (from the Place of birth itself)?

PS. Either way, Fernando; regardless of the petty remarks above. Well done! A lot of research! From what (little) I understand: Resulting in a far better Picture of this guy than we've ever had before! :clap:

Last edited:
I simply could keep my curiosity in place ...

To me (helped only by Google Translate) it looks like Fernando Costa Straube ("juruva") agrees on our doubts, earlier posted in this thread, regarding the alleged death of Mr K ...
Sick (1985, 1997) diz ser coletor alemão, enquanto Oliveira (2003) refere-se a ele como naturalista austríaco. Camargo (1962) informa que ele teria falecido em Nova York em 1953, o que se trata de uma óbvia confusão com Elsie Naumburg, revisora de seu material que de fato faleceu em 1953 nessa mesma cidade.

[Photos of Mr. K!]

Por sua vez, Erwin Stresemann (in: Haffer, 1997:202) afirma: "Emil Kaempfer sammelte später in Brasilien (1926-1931) für Frau Elsie Naumburg (American Museum of Natural History, New York) und lebte anschlieβend in São Paulo"253. Essa informação, sem mais detalhes adicionais, é curiosa visto que nenhum outro autor cogitou a possibilidade de Kaempfer ter residido no Brasil após sua viagem.

[pp.321-322]
Also note the foot-note on p.326:
Segundo o mesmo documento, o "Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros (RNE)" que, a partir de 1938 passou a ser denominado "Carteira Modelo 19", foi revalidado em duas ocasiões (1941 e 1944), teria se transferido nesse último ano para a Rua Itajassú, n° 51 no bairro Pacaembu. Neste mesmo documento há, no verso, a indicação de duas revalidações: 12 de agosto de 1941 e 22 de novembro de 1944 quando informou estar residindo na "rua Itajassú". Também constam os seguintes dizeres: "Recebi Pront[uário]. em 08/08/1985 - Claudio. Devolvido [rubrica] 08/08/1985". Se essa data corresponde à baixa do documento, parece sugestivo que também aluda ao período de seu falecimento. Isso seria absolutamente formidável e, uma vez confirmado, indicaria que Kaempfer teria falecido em São Paulo aos 97 anos de idade sendo, portanto, contemporâneo de vários ornitólogos que se encontram em plena atividade no Brasil!
Indicating that Mr K was still alive all the way until the mid-1980's!

-

Last edited:
Here´s an Original document pointing (strongly) in favour of the spelling Kaempfer contra the suggested version Kämpfer ...

According to the Polish State Archive in Poznan (here*) there was a boy by the name Emil born in February 1889, in Poznán (Posen), Son to Louis Kaempfer and his wife Anna Kaempfer (née Heilbronn), birth record dated 11 (?) February the same year.

See No. "1926/1/209, scan 262" (53/1926/0/1/209), added 2017-02-06 ... or the two attached jpgs.

It´s a pretty good match for the "Emil Kaempfer", that (according to "Ruinas e urubus: historia da ornitologia no Parana") was the; "filho [Son] de Louis Kaempfer e de Ana Kaempfer"!

Also note the scribblings in the upper left Corner, from 1941. Did he add a second Christian name; "Israel"?

However; if this truly is the newly born boy who later collected for Mrs Elsie Naumburg in Brazil, ending up in São Paulo, is far beyond me. But that´s me, not understanding Portuguese (nor Polish and very little German), not getting the full context.

Maybe it´s more obvious for "juruva"?

Either way; enjoy!

Björn

PS. If anyone would like a better scan, of the full document, just let me know. If so, use the Private Message function here on BirdForum, and let me know your private e-mail address. The original scan is 2,3MB.

Attachments

• Scan262,small.jpg
    Scan262,small.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Detail, scan 262.jpg
    Detail, scan 262.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
According to the Polish State Archive in Poznan (here*) there was a boy by the name Emil born in February 1889, in Poznán (Posen), Son to Louis Kaempfer and his wife Anna Kaempfer (née Heilbronn), birth record dated 11 (?) February the same year.

Looks to me like 7th (siebenten) February 1889.

Also note the scribblings in the upper left Corner, from 1941. Did he add a second Christian name; "Israel"?
Jews that did not bear a Jewish first name were forced by Nazi law to add Israel or Sarah to their name in 1939.
The Kaempfer parents were both Jews ("mosaischer Religion") according to this birth record.

If this document do say 7 February (like Martin seems to read it) I guess I did find the birth record of Emil Kaempfer!

Dates, year, place, parents ... they all match. Almost to good to be true.

Anyone think otherwise?

If this document do say 7 February (like Martin seems to read it)
I read that as well.
The document is dated "11. Februar 1889" (as you noted), but the text says Louis Kaempfer declared on that day that:
am siebenten Februar des Jahres tausend acht hundert achtzig und neun, Vormittags um zwölfeinviertel Uhr, ein Kind männlich Geschlechts geboren worten sei, welches den Vornamen Emil erhalten habe.
(on the seventh February of the year thousand eight hundred eighty nine, in the morning at twelve-and-a-quarter, a child of the male sex was born, which received the first name of Emil.)

[● also commemorated in the alternate Common name of Caatinga Woodpecker Celeus obrieni SHORT, 1973 (here) a k a Kaempfer’s woodpecker]

As also related:

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Kaempfer's Woodpecker Celeus obrieni Short, 1973 [Alt. Piauí Woodpecker]
Dr. Charles E. O'Brian (1905-1987) was an American ornithologist who worked at the AMNH, where he was the ornithological collection manager in charge of the move of the 185 large packing cases containing the Rothschild collection of 280,000 bird skins that the AMNH acquired (1932). He retired in 1972 after nearly 50 years at the museum . He was honoured because he has pointed out to Short an unidentified specmen of Brasilian woodpecker in the museum, collected earlier by Emil Kaempfer (q.v.) (1926).

The Key to Scientific Names
Charles E. O’Brien (1905-1987) US ornithologist (Celeus, syn. Strix nivicolum).

No idea if there was really a middle name with E.

Strix nivicola obrieni Koelz 1954 Koelz, W. (1954). Ornithological studies. I. New birds from Iran, Afghanistan, and India. Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration, Ann Arbor, 1, 1–32 (Not seen)

Charles Edward O'Brien
Born 24 August 1905 Manhatten, NYC
Died 9 September 1987 Bronx, New York

Even his US Social Security Record says his middle name is "E" but birth record gives answer.

Last edited:
Marriage.png
I think this is his marriage record. Nevertheless still not clear when Emil Kaempfer died. His spouse was:

NameKäthe Singer
Birth18 Nov 1892

P.S. It might be worth to update obrieni with the additional names of #31.

Last edited:
Whilst there is little doubt "our" Emil was in the US in 1947 I can find no proof he died there.

His entry permit in 1947 states that he intended to return to Sao Paulo. and he had a return ticket

Be aware there are at least 4 Emil Kaempfers in accessible records: One who lived in the US his whole life and 2 Swiss who visited the US - our man and these 3 (below). I would search for his death in Brazil.

1)
Born:
Nov 30 1893 Guggerburg, Bern, Switz
DiedNov 18 1957
Switz

2)
Birth:Nov 3 1891 - Cape Girardeau, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Death:Nov 18 1954 - Poplar Bluff, Butler, Missouri, USA

3)

Birth:June 11 1895 - Bern, Switz
Death:Jan 28 1913 - Switz

Users who are viewing this thread