• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Low Light 8 X 32 Binocular (1 Viewer)

Anansi,

I'd look at either the Swarovision 8x32 mentioned by Dennis, as it is small and lightweight, or the Zeiss FL 8x32, on sale at Eagle Optics for about 2/3 of the typical SV price.

All the best,
Justin

I have used the FL 8x32 for days and days under the darkest of skies, in pouring rain, in other words in very poor light, and found them to be terrific.

I didn't have a Swaro SV to compare it with so I don't know if that would have been better or not. Certainly, in transmission tests the FL comfortably beat the previous Swaro EL 32 model but in any case I prefer to rely on what my eyes tell me.

The FL 'shines' in dark conditions.

Lee

What is the best low light 8 x 32 binocular? I will be using it in mountains and deserts.

Anansi,

What is your age?

If you are younger than 40 I would take the 42 in stead of the 32 and take the extra weight for granted and benefit the 42 low light performance.

Jan

If you are willing to take the porro route the Nikon SE is fabulously bright. No 32mm roof I`v owned or used seemed brighter to my eyes.

The FL 'shines' in dark conditions.

Lee

I have an older Leica 8x32BR (Ultravid, 2007)... having heard all the hype about the 8x32 FL I just had to try one, so I bought a pair in 2009 from Cameraland. I "lived with them" for an entire week comparing them side by side with the Leica. In low light on the USAF chart I could tell absolutely no difference between them (dusk and twilight). However, on the optical chart, the Leica showed finer resolution and a bigger sweet spot. I also preferred the Leica's warmer color rendition. I returned the Zeiss, rather disappointed.

Just last month I compared a 2013 Leica HD 8x32 against a 2013 Zeiss FL 8x32. Same results as above...

Sorry, I just don't get all the love for the Zeiss 8x32 FL. Nice bin, but not on par with the Leica.

Can't speak to the Swarovision 8x32 as I haven't been able to compare them with a Leica or Zeiss.

I have an older Leica 8x32BR (Ultravid, 2007)... having heard all the hype about the 8x32 FL I just had to try one, so I bought a pair in 2009 from Cameraland. I "lived with them" for an entire week comparing them side by side with the Leica. In low light on the USAF chart I could tell absolutely no difference between them (dusk and twilight). However, on the optical chart, the Leica showed finer resolution and a bigger sweet spot. I also preferred the Leica's warmer color rendition. I returned the Zeiss, rather disappointed.

Just last month I compared a 2013 Leica HD 8x32 against a 2013 Zeiss FL 8x32. Same results as above...

Sorry, I just don't get all the love for the Zeiss 8x32 FL. Nice bin, but not on par with the Leica.

Can't speak to the Swarovision 8x32 as I haven't been able to compare them with a Leica or Zeiss.

Hi Mac

My wife has an Ultravid 8x32 and it is a terrific instrument but to my eyes it is not as bright in darkening conditions, say under black clouds and pouring rain. However, as you point out Mac, the Leica favours a warmer view and this may suit your eyes better, whereas my preference is for the FLs colder (to my eyes more neutral) view.

Lets give thanks that we have such fine instruments to choose between.

Lee

Lets give thanks that we have such fine instruments to choose between.

Lee

I agree Lee... bins at this level are a matter of grading diamonds!

My primary point was when objectively comparing the Leica and Zeiss on the USAF chart there was absolutely no difference at low light. I was fully expecting to get rid of my Leica's when I ordered the Zeiss's, so I wasn't predisposed to seeing something that was not there.

The Leica has a bigger sweet spot (area in focus) and the Zeiss sample(s) I've tried have had slightly less fine resolution than the Leica.

But comparing 4 different binoculars isn't exactly a large sampling... but still, I was surprised and disappointed based on what I'd read, and sent the Zeiss 8x32FL back.

Last edited:

My primary point was when objectively comparing the Leica and Zeiss on the USAF chart there was absolutely no difference at low light. I was fully expecting to get rid of my Leica's when I ordered the Zeiss's, so I wasn't predisposed to seeing something that was not there.

The Leica has a bigger sweet spot (area in focus) and the Zeiss sample(s) I've tried have had slightly less fine resolution than the Leica.

But comparing 4 different binoculars isn't exactly a large sampling... but still, I was surprised and disappointed based on what I'd read, and sent the Zeiss 8x32FL back.

Should have thrown the sv into the mix! Best birding binocular there is. : ) Just kidding, although I do own one.

Would make for an interesting shoot out though. But, what Lee said I would have to agree.
Bryce...

I agree that it is up to personal choice for what binoculars you like best.
I have no quibble with those who settle in on what they prefer.

It is not a good analogy to compare with diamonds however, as the grades
there can mimic binoculars. Same carat size, but many different grades of
cut, color and clarity. And yes, there would be a big difference. ;)

Jerry

With reference to low light surely there is no such thing as a good low light 8x32,32mm objective lens and 4mm pupil exit are not condusive to good low light viewing....Eddy

I would simply go with the one that transmitted the highest percentage of light. Too bad there's no Zeiss 8x32 HT, that would have to be it, but it does not exit. The Zeiss FL was the one a generation back, but the latest Swaro EL has about caught up, but not surpassed it, in transmission. In a roof model, those would probably be the top choices.

The Porro 8x30 Swaro Habicht is, according to the careful measurements of one of our members, the highest transmitting of all binoculars. I can easily believe this measurement, as Swaro is known for putting its state of the art coatings on this "retro" series, which must benefit additionally from its Porro prisms and fewer air to glass surfaces compared to a roof. Alas, it loses 12% off the top because it is only a 30mm, not a 32. So by the numbers, in the field under really low light, the Leica or Zeiss Conquest, which rate second to the above top roofs in raw throughput, should beat it. But right down to where the pupils open to 4mm, about where you don't feel comfortable reading anymore, the Habicht would be my pick. Plus they are just too cool...

Yeah, it's a little like asking "What's the fastest cornering dump truck?". Anyway what do I know, I use a 56mm!

Ron

Last edited:
With reference to low light surely there is no such thing as a good low light 8x32,32mm objective lens and 4mm pupil exit are not condusive to good low light viewing....Eddy

That may have been true once upon a time, but with the advent of dielectric coatings and all the other optical jiggery pokery top manufacturers employ today high end 32mm bins can really perform exceptionally well in low light. I have an 8x32 EL Swarovision from Swarovski for review at the moment, and they're incredibly bright.

All other things being equal a 42mm bin will obviously be brighter... but there are certainly 32mm bins out there that will comfortably outperform many 42mm models purely because of the quality of their optics.

That may have been true once upon a time, but with the advent of dielectric coatings and all the other optical jiggery pokery top manufacturers employ today high end 32mm bins can really perform exceptionally well in low light. I have an 8x32 EL Swarovision from Swarovski for review at the moment, and they're incredibly bright.

All other things being equal a 42mm bin will obviously be brighter... but there are certainly 32mm bins out there that will comfortably outperform many 42mm models purely because of the quality of their optics.

Hello Calvin,

Your post raises an interesting question. If all 8x32 binoculars are not the same, are the top 8x32's providing as much light as the poorer 8x42's? Of all the binoculars mentioned, the one with the most potential to provide as bright an image, would be an 8x32 Porro, with the latest coatings. Unfortunately, I can only hypothesize.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Surely any binocular can only manage transmission loss, in my experience no 4mm ep however top end the binocular it belongs to can equal a 6mm ep.

Terry Wieland, the Shooting Editor of Gray's Sporting Journal hunted all over the world using only a Leica 8x32 Trinovid. In fact he wrote an article in the Journal around 2006 arguing that 8x30 was all the binocular that was needed valuing it's light weight and small bulk over 42mm binoculars and also stating that if anything more was needed it could be handled better with a scope. Of course, he meant hunting in a group with a guide. He qualified it by saying that the 8x32 had to be top quality also saying that "Cheap binoculars wear out good hunting boots!"

Bob

Last edited:
Surely any binocular can only manage transmission loss, in my experience no 4mm ep however top end the binocular it belongs to can equal a 6mm ep.

There's no arguing with the physics governing the brightness of optical systems of course... but I can tell you that a Swaro EL 8x32 Swarovision appears brighter than, for example, the Docter ED 8x42 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42 (the two I have available at present) in a direct side by side comparison... no question.

I have a pair of 8x42 Vortex Razor HD -- which is exceptionally bright -- but they are currently in for service. If I get them back before the Swaros go back that would be an interesting comparison.

I agree in principle but we are talking about comparing 32mm with each other rather than with bins with bigger objectives although that is an interesting topic in itself.

You could say we are talking about which 32mm is least bad although that would hurt some posters.

That huge strides have been made with coatings is undeniable and when I finally persuaded my wife to retire her old Leitz 8x40 Trinovid (its close focus was hopeless for our current needs) she was astonished by the performance of her Uvid 8x32.

Lee

There's no arguing with the physics governing the brightness of optical systems of course... but I can tell you that a Swaro EL 8x32 Swarovision appears brighter than, for example, the Docter ED 8x42 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42 (the two I have available at present) in a direct side by side comparison... no question.

I have a pair of 8x42 Vortex Razor HD -- which is exceptionally bright -- but they are currently in for service. If I get them back before the Swaros go back that would be an interesting comparison.
The Swarovision's 8x32 are the brightest 32mm I have looked through.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back