• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favourite tick of the year so far? (1 Viewer)

senatore

Mine has got to be seeing an Osprey for the first time.What made seeing this fabulous bird even better was that it was at my local patch and it was me that spotted it allthough this was not difficult as it flew quite low and right over me a couple of times.

Max.

senatore said:
Mine has got to be seeing an Osprey for the first time.What made seeing this fabulous bird even better was that it was at my local patch and it was me that spotted it allthough this was not difficult as it flew quite low and right over me a couple of times.

Max.

Year tick - Nightjar in Devon

Life tick - Spotted Crake at Blacktoft Sands

Ospreys are fantasic birds love them - had three fishing in Aberdeen - Ythan Estuary about 2-3 weeks ago - fan-dabby-dossie

but overall if I had to choose my favourite bird this year, theres only one winner - Nightjar - spectacular!!!!

Last edited:
Ohhh ... to pick one ? ...

Probably ... either the male monties harrier that flew right over me while i was riding to work (and nearly made me ride my bike into the hedge !) or the pair of Osprey fishing at Rockland Broad, which is also one of my favourite locations. Yeah ... the Ospreys ...

Funny how osprey is being mentioned,it's mine too.Although i've seen them before,this year was good for seeing my first in my county.On a rspb local group outing to Great Cumbrae isle,accompanied by two visitors from Montana, Redshank was a lifer for them.On seeing the osprey they laughed joking it was a 'trash' bird 'cos they're in their backyards.Also had them in neighbouring county Dumfries&Galloway where they now breed.

Tricky question... my top three (in reverse order) would be:
3. wt eagle - truely stunning bird, great way to start the year and worth all the effort.
2. woodchat - having missed the one at Burnham (and been gripped off by some friends) it was great to catch up with the one at Cromer.
3. stilt sand - three attempts before I finally managed to see it, not the best views but still a great bird.

In any other year, I'm sure it would have been the Herefordshire Bee-eaters, but this year brought me my first ever Waxwings... so no contest, really!

I haven't had a UK tick yet this year, but my best world ticks are a toss-up between the Little Swift, the pair of Long-legged Buzzards and the several Egyptian Vultures I saw, all seen on the same morning, at Bolonia and Sierra de la Plata, just north of Tarifa in Spain. Don't ask me to choose between them; I really can't.

Mine would have to be either the Wryneck I found on my local patch or the Yellow-browed Warbler at Titchwell yesterday. Both birds I've really wanted to see for ages (even dreamt of finding them - sad or what?!)

But if I have to choose just one then it has to be the Wryneck, just because I found it!

SimonC said:
Mine would have to be either the Wryneck I found on my local patch or the Yellow-browed Warbler at Titchwell yesterday. Both birds I've really wanted to see for ages (even dreamt of finding them - sad or what?!)

I was there yesterday, but dipped on the yellow-browed so may go back tomorrow... glad you managed to connect with it.

UK - very close views of a Woodchat Shrike at B Norton.

non UK - seeing a pair of Bokmakierie outside the guest house I was staying in, v early one morning on holiday in SA last month, can still hear them calling :)

mmm...for me its a tough one between Wryneck and Barred Warbler, both at Spurn on the 20th and 21st of Aug respectively. If pressed I guess the Warbler as the same sunny spell that prompted it to show also inspired 2 PiedFlys,4 Whinchats,2 lesser Whitethroats and a Garden Warbler to join the fun! After a relatively quiet morning it was ample reward for a 4a.m. start from Hull and brought the whole Canal Scrape/Triangle to life!

postcardcv said:
I was there yesterday, but dipped on the yellow-browed so may go back tomorrow... glad you managed to connect with it.
I saw it at about 9.15. When i got back to the car park there were a few people standing around waiting for it to turn up so I joined them for a while, but time was pressing so had to leave. I wonder if we both got a BF200 tick if only we'd known? ;)

SimonC said:
I saw it at about 9.15. When i got back to the car park there were a few people standing around waiting for it to turn up so I joined them for a while, but time was pressing so had to leave. I wonder if we both got a BF200 tick if only we'd known? ;)

I didn't get there until about 9.50, gave it half hour and then headed onto the reserve. Did ok, got the rn phal and had a velevt in with the common scoter. Got back to the car park at about 1.30 and gave it another half hour... You'd probably know if you saw me as I had my daughter with me in her pushchair.

eagle owl.....yes, you may think 'once somebodys pet' although the ones i watch have breeding for 10yrs, so i guess the young birds are 100% wild, and we had 3 young this year!

Mine would have to be the Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. In breeding plumage no less. Beautiful bird.

senatore said:

Max.

Hi Max, mine is a Peregrine Falcon 8-P (both male and female!) with 3 young in the nest in Derbyshire! WOW! Still can't get over it now!! Will be back next year to see if they return, fingers crossed and all that! |:D| I must get to Rutland Water next year to see the Ospreys, what a great sight they must be.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back