• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

closing popups (1 Viewer)

6eor6e

Help closing popups

I have been searching for a thread that gave simple advice in closing popups but cant find it, it said not to use x in the corner as it was a trap that would send more. Can someone help me here, I just found the one Wanwyn wrote about stopping future popups and doing that next. Can anyone tell me why a thread is missing that I wrote in Saltys BF TV and there was a reply to it missing. Hope Someone able to help I'm sure the advice was CTL ALT something.
Regards all George

Last edited:
George,
I installed the Google search bar long ago for other reasons, but it also has a built-in Pop-up suppresser that takes care of most pop-ups. The ones that do get through I close by calling up the quick menu from the state bar (not from the pop-up itself).

Roy'N said:
perhaps you're thinking about ALT + F4
Thats it, thank you very much Id better make a note of it unless I take on Steves Idea it wouldnt hurt and it will have other stuff I might use.
Thanks again Roy and Steve

As an alternative to Alt + F4, you can always right click the appropriate icon in the windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and choose Close. Then there's no doubt about which application you're closing. For a whole load of popups, though, a flurry of Alt F4 hammering is probably most effective!

google toolbar

I just downloaded the toolbar and lost all bookmarks is there a way I can retrieve them? sorry if real dumb question and thanks for putting up with them.
Regards All George

The don't click the X story is a myth. But George, why on earth are you still using a browser that is vulnerable to pop-ups? None of the modern browsers have had this problem for years now. For the love of Mike, step into the Century of the Fruitbat. Install Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera. Any one of the three, they are all good. Nice to use too. And much safer.

6eor6e said:
I just downloaded the toolbar and lost all bookmarks is there a way I can retrieve them? sorry if real dumb question and thanks for putting up with them.
Regards All George

George,
Sounds screwy to me. Which bookmarks? What OS are you using and how do you browse the internet. This is the first time I have heard of losing bookmarks by installing the Google Toolbar.

I'm running netscape 7 and I just don't see popups. I don't run instant messenger, and although I have yahoo messenger installed I hardly ever run it. I have the free version of zonealarm just so that I get warning of anything trying to send data out and occasionally I run adaware.

If you have Windows XP-SP2 a pop-up blocker is available as part of sevice pack 2.
Microsoft also has a free "AntiSpyware" that is available for download.

Click responsibly!
Phil

Sorry back again

I had visitors over weekend thanks to all responses I'll try to answer ? Tannin I am running Mozilla Firefox but a certain site after closing leaves another screen behind it offering me free download of smilies, I think it was a msn site other than that been happy as a pig in u no, thanks for help all the same. Steve all Bookmarks from Bank, Birdforum to camera sites, not sure what OS is may be Outgoing Server? Arachnet is my whats his name Provider, yea strange all bookmarks gone not to worry It doesn't grieve me at all thanks for interest Steve. I have been running AVG and Adware recently went into windows Admin tool and stopped Messenger and disabled. walwyns idea with zonealarm would it hurt to install and I don't no if I need Netscape. Stopzilla is also something I can look at thanks cressi and also XP SP2 popup blocker and the Antispyware thanks Phil. At this stage I will leave sleeping dogs lay and see how it goes, thanks again all regards george :egghead:

You are making good progress then George. You don't need Netscape. Netscape is nothing other than an out of date Mozilla with loads of advertising and assorted other junk added to it. Bigger, slower, zero added features, significant drawbacks. Stay with Firefox, Opera or Mozilla, whichever of those three you like.

Download the Google Toolbar (free) and install Norton Internet Security 2006 - if you are running XP with SP2 this is the end to all your problems.

Colin Key said:
Download the Google Toolbar (free) and install Norton Internet Security 2006 - if you are running XP with SP2 this is the end to all your problems.
Apart from the slowdown caused by the resources consumed by NIS, of course - you'd need to spend similar amount of cash to bring your machine back up to it's previous performance level.

Firefox/Opera/Mozilla + AVG Free/Avast + Spybot/Adaware/Spyblaster + ZA Free/Kerio - save your money.

6eor6e, check C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random$tring.default\bookmarkbackup - you may have backups stored - you could bookmark the latest one or use it as your Home Page. While your drilling down there - see how many Firefox profiles there are, you may have been using a second one?

Cheers,

Andy.

Colin Key said:
Thanks for idea but if i can do the same for free, and Andy I'll have go at that. love your avatar Colin reminds me of someone 3:)

Last edited:
Have you tried File>Import> tick Netscape,Mozilla etc. and Next, Next, George? It worked for someone I was chatting to today - he lost his bookmarks during a Firefox upgrade - Import fixed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back