• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Bahamas-help? (1 Viewer)

Shell

I've been invited to go to the Bahamas with my family members, and would love to know if someone has gone and what you experienced. I'm not sure if I want to go yet. I got overwhelmed with info when I did a ''google search'' for birding in the bahamas. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Shell

Birding Bahamas

I was only on Grand Bahama, but I got some great birds there. THe best place was the Rand Nature Center, which has good walking trails around some ponds and wetlands. Got CUban Emerald, Thick-BIlled Vireo, Red-Legged Thrush, La Sagras Flycatcher, WESTERN SPINDALIS :bounce: (beautiful), Bahama subspecies of Hairy Woodpecker and Red-WInged Blackbird, Bahama Yellowthroat, Cuban Pewee, Least Grebe, and many migrants, as it was in November (great for brushing up on fall wood-warblers). Also got SWAINSON'S WARBLER! DIpped on Greater Antilllean Bullfinch, Bahama Mockingbird, Zenaida Dove, Key West Quail DOve, but they're all real possibilities. I'd say it sounds like a great time, birds or no birds. Read the ABA book 'Birding Guide to the Bahamas." The other Islands all have their intriguing avifauna. Good luck.
PS I never saw so many MERLINS in one spot, apparently following the migrant passerines.
Go and have a good time!!
Bill

Hey Bill, thanks so much for replying so quickly. WOW, that's a great list of birds you saw. Must have been just wonderful, and so beautiful to see. Thanks so much for the info!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back