• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Hedgerows looking good.

Photos:
Which one shall I have?
Where shall I eat it?
Yummy!!

Attachments

• blue tit-9754.jpg
    blue tit-9754.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 94
  • blue tit-9736.jpg
    blue tit-9736.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 37
  • blue tit-9747.jpg
    blue tit-9747.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 91
Early morning Tim and Gert at the Moors Pool:

Up to 50 Swallow, 1 Swift, Willow Warbler in song briefly, adult Yellow-legged Gull with 30+ LBB Gull & 6 Herring Gull, 4 Common Terns, c230 Canada Geese, 2 Little Grebe chicks, Wigeon, 1 Little Egret, 23 Greylag Geese, 5 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, 1 Curlew, 2 Kingfisher, 2 Sedge Warbler, 1 Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Cettis Warbler, several Chiffchaffs & Blackcap

Last edited:
Hello everybody--first time I've done this so hope it works .
I should be posting a couple of images of presumed adult Caspian Gull on the Moors yesterday from 15.45hrs. to 16.30hrs.at least,when it may have flown off although my view(from concrete hide) was obscured BUT....always seems to be a "but" with gull I.D........then I wondered whether the mantle is too dark and the bill may not exactly fit Caspian Gull criteria etc. I'd appreciate (helpful) comments!

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 153
From the Flashes this morning Gert reports:

Approx 75% dried out still. Roe Deer, Lapwing c30, BH Gull c40, Buzzard, 1 Whitethroat, 12 Linnet, 1 Reed Warbler, 1 Peregrine, 3 Ringed Plover circled and on the deck briefly

Hello everybody--first time I've done this so hope it works .
I should be posting a couple of images of presumed adult Caspian Gull on the Moors yesterday from 15.45hrs. to 16.30hrs.at least,when it may have flown off although my view(from concrete hide) was obscured BUT....always seems to be a "but" with gull I.D........then I wondered whether the mantle is too dark and the bill may not exactly fit Caspian Gull criteria etc. I'd appreciate (helpful) comments!

Hi Pete
I was talking to SMW yesterday while he was watching this same bird. He was cautious that it could be a yellow Legged Gull due to the darkness of the mantle and depth of bill. However he things it probably is a Caspian Gull 3rd Summer ..suffice to say that it is a different bird to JHWR's Caspian on 14th August.
I think we are all looking for the perfect example of a Caspo with the 'full set' of salient features but the more you research and the more photo's you look at the more confusing it becomes.
John

Hi Pete
I was talking to SMW yesterday while he was watching this same bird. He was cautious that it could be a yellow Legged Gull due to the darkness of the mantle and depth of bill. However he things it probably is a Caspian Gull 3rd Summer ..suffice to say that it is a different bird to JHWR's Caspian on 14th August.
I think we are all looking for the perfect example of a Caspo with the 'full set' of salient features but the more you research and the more photo's you look at the more confusing it becomes.
John
Thanks for your response and helpful comments John. Yes, I did the usual peering and head-scratching whilst the bird also repeatedly disappeared behind foreground reedmace. There was no red on the upper mandible, by the way, helping to swing thoughts away from Yellow-legged again. It is notable how frequently words like "often", "usually", "may" and "variable" come up in many of the descriptions of 'new' gull species but then I suppose only to be expected when people are trying to find ways of delimiting distinguishing features amongst the clinal flux: good job the birds are beautiful and characterful I keep telling myself. I had sent the images to Brian Stretch to seek his opinion also and he concurs with the Caspian I.D. so has put it out on Worcester Birding.
P.S. Talking of characterful, the gulls had crapped on my car when I got back to it......typical!!
P.P.S. Dunnock beneath concrete hide feeders also on Thursday......noticed it wasn't on the list for August yet

This morning at the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Sandpiper, 5 Snipe, 5 Curlew, Hobby, 2 Yellow-legged Gull (adult & third summer), Little Egret, 5 Gadwall, 6 Shoveler, 5 Common Tern, 2 Swift, Muntjac deer

Last edited:
What's your gut feeling Chris - just one bird responsible for all sightings?

Think there could be two as JWHR's bird appeared to have a paler mantle.Also i think the bill showed some dark marking alongside the red but my memory is not so great these days.Will ask John when i see him.

Last edited:
2 Black-tailed Godwits at the Moors Pool this morning in the lagoon area as per Andy P.

150 Lapwing at the Flashes as per Andy A.

Today at the FLASHES

Eleanor the new East Reserves Manager and Andy Harris will be monitoring the phragmites around the second Flash.. this is in preparation for the forthcoming reed treatment to hopefully eradicate it from the shoreline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back