• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beluga Whale Seen in the Thames (1 Viewer)

Slight hijack of the thread, but given talk of escape...

Was the origin of the Stellers Sealion off Cornwall ever established? I find it hard to believe one could escape from a zoo and waddle to the sea!

Ah, it's an escape . . . Category E 3:)

Seems laughable, but actually this was the case with one of the very few Beluga records from Germany!
Four Belugas were caught for English zoos in 1966 somewhere in the Arctic and transported back to Europe. There the transport ship almost sank in stormy conditions in the English Channel and the Beluga escaped. It soon turned up far up the Rhine, where it stayed for a month, managed to avoid an overly dedicated zoo director and his clumsy attempts to recatch the Beluga and finally swam back out of the Rhine still more or less healthy.
If you want to read up on him Google "Moby Dick Rhine"

Beluga in Rhine was, I think, wild. The mammal atlas of the landlocked North Rhine-Westphalia region has a cetacean species on its list:
http://www.saeugeratlas-nrw.lwl.org/index.php?cat=artenliste

But maybe one can confirm/deny the story that a ship transported an elephant seal to a British zoo, and the seal was washed away during a storm. It washed out dead on the Scottish coast, and a man who discovered it decided to make a practical joke and dumped the corpse in Loch Ness...

Present this morning 7am.
I walked east from ship and lobster, its currently just east of the jetty's, between boats ( Tosca and Distributor)

Personally, for me, it would seem an extraordinary decision to 'intervene' when they live in rivers, the logistics required would be very difficult in light of its frequent diving, it has not travelled any further upstream since it was first found and withstood normal tides and it is apparently behaving normally?

It seems far more at risk of 'monitoring' by boats and helicopter reporters than anything else.

Now that the media have not got their tragedy or their rescue, let's hope it continues peacefully until it decides to find a new foraging area.

All the best

Where does the Thames become wholly fresh water?

Where does the Thames become wholly fresh water?
Just upstream of Teddington Lock and Weir. The stretch between Teddington and Molesey could on occassions become slightly brackish at times of high Spring Tides below Teddington when rarely it could back up.

It could feasibly get up as far as Richmond half - lock if it gets through the Thames Barrier.

P.....ex Environment Agency lock keeper, patrol officer and Navigation Inspector, but always binos handy for birding.

Last edited:
Been showing very well today. When I left the best place was by the grass/railings of the Riverside Gardens just before 14.00. Very actively fishing in a relatively small area as the tide was coming in.

Just upstream of Teddington Lock and Weir. The stretch between Teddington and Molesey could on occassions become slightly brackish at times of high Spring Tides below Teddington when rarely it could back up.

It could feasibly get up as far as Richmond half - lock if it gets through the Thames Barrier.

P.....ex Environment Agency lock keeper, patrol officer and Navigation Inspector, but always binos handy for birding.

Cheers Pat.

Just an update for anyone interested - was showing fairly regularly from opposite the Riverside Leisure Area between 11-1ish while I was there.

Just relaying several comments that I've seen on twitter but if Alex was on the ground and saw it then that's good enough for me - not see after 1pm then ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back