• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blurry waders, Western Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Taken and cropped from full zoom video in February this year at Richmond Lake, Rockingham just south of Perth, these may be 3 different birds or all the same! Bird 1 in pics 1 and 2 seems to have very clear white versus dark plumage and white head; Bird 2 (pic3) seems to have grey on half of head; Bird 3 (pics 4 and 5) seems darker backed with long seemingly straight bill and darker patch on shoulder. Any clues gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Marsh sand1.jpg
    Marsh sand1.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Marsh sand2.jpg
    Marsh sand2.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 66
  • more sand.jpg
    more sand.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Myst sand.jpg
    Myst sand.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 69
  • myst sand1.jpg
    myst sand1.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 48
not a 1000 per cent sure of some of these: first two have black-winged stilts and silver gulls. 3 is probably the same; 4 and 5 are greenshanks.

Pics 1 to 3 have pale greenish/grey legs and also don't seem tall enough for stilts. I wondered about Greenshank for pics 4 and 5 despite straightish looking bill. Is Marsh sandpiper possible for any of these 5 pics?

Pics 1 to 3 have pale greenish/grey legs and also don't seem tall enough for stilts. I wondered about Greenshank for pics 4 and 5 despite straightish looking bill. Is Marsh sandpiper possible for any of these 5 pics?

...have pale greenish/grey legs...

I considered marsh sand but none of these shouted that species to me. 3 could be, I suppose: see e.g.
http://www.ozanimals.com/Bird/Marsh-Sandpiper/Tringa/stagnatilis.html
[esp general plumage pattern of first pic]

I'm sure the last 2 are greenshank. For 1st 2 images, I conversely thought the legs too long for marsh sand and didn't think the plumage pattern correct (looks broadly black and white). I'd suggest leg colour is either due to immaturity or perhaps some photo artefact. But with photos this good...

All of them are Common Greenshanks - young stilts would have a smudge over the eye, not a darker nape as in these birds, amongst other things

All of them are Common Greenshanks - young stilts would have a smudge over the eye, not a darker nape as in these birds, amongst other things

Again, perhaps you're right, but the unless the photos are misleading, the legs look too long for Greenshank to me.

Awful pics, but the amount of white on rump and tail in the first two pics looks like Pied Stilt to me, and the legs seem very long. The last two pics are Greenshanks, bill too stout for Marsh Sand

Granted, they are poor photos, but issues for Pied Stilt include being grey-brown not black (ie. the darker parts are too pale), heavier and bi-coloured bill (at least as heavy as the birds in the last two pics which everyone seems to agree are greenshanks). Refer also the OPs comment on leg colour

I'm not sure about these long legs either - greenshank not exactly short-legged. I'm wondering if people are interpreting this pale thing as part of the leg, which I'm pretty sure it's not

Attachments

• Greenshank.jpg
    Greenshank.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back