• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tall broad 'muscular' looking bird in North West London. ID please! (1 Viewer)

Potato80

Hi all.

First time poster. Spotted this chap in the garden this morning. There's plenty of birds around here, but I've never seen one as large as this. Thought it was a crow initially, but the colour is actually quite varied, and it was much larger than a crow. It also 'walked/waddled' rather than hopped.

Quality not great, I know.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

We live near a large country park, and I know there are birds of prey in it

https://youtu.be/Soco_HVPATk

Looks like a Hooded Crow to me. I didn't think they occurred in London but an expert on here will confirm.

Carrion x Hooded Crow hybrid? Or just a normal Carrion Crow catching the light in an odd way. Don't think it's a pure Hooded Crow.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Thanks for the replies. Having googled a Hooded Crow, it does resemble it a bit, but my bird seemed larger and it's hindquarters were much more muscular-looking. Maybe it's a cross, like you say.

Are you sure it wasnt a female Sparrowhawk - it sort of walks like one and the legs look long and thin (and yellowish? ( @ 0.6)- it spends a lot of time appearing to be bending over something - mantling over prey perhaps?

just watched the vid on a normal screen (rather than mobile) and realised the bird’s head is visible, its dark so didnt notice it against the trees. I must admit it looks better for a corvid now despite the description by the OP.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back