• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring database (1 Viewer)

Hi Aladdin, just been reading your thread and was happy to hear you got some response back for your ring sighting, You say your going to RSPB Liverpool this year in May? please may I ask why Liverpool.

Jim

Hello Jim

I had a great time in Liverpool last year. But I have cancelled UK this year as I will go to Sweden to (hopefully) see the crane dance. Will try my luck for 5 to 6 days and then I want to go north for a few hours where I will spend a week in a tent looking at he Black Grouse Lek and the Capercaillie's Lek

Something I really looking forward to. Then I will go south to try to see the gorgeous waders as I spotted in Liverpool last year.

In Thailand and Asia I only see them in their winter plumage and they are really beautiful in their summer uniform.

Anyway, RSBP had a few very beautiful areas to walk around at to look for birds. I was really impressed by the RSBP set up in UK.

EDIT:
Jim, I suppose you are from the UK so I hope you don´t mind? But I call it Crane Dance, when they are trying to impress their partner to be before taking off to have their babies, is this the right name for it? Same with the Black Grouse Lek and the Capercaillie's Lek. I have see they use the word DISPLAY instead of LEK at some places.

There is an amazing video on you tube. "One Capercaillie and 23 female" and this is what I call the breeding, after the Lek. Sorry for asking, but I just want to be sure not to make a "tit" out of myself using the wrong terms.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Last edited:
Hello Jim

EDIT:
Jim, I suppose you are from the UK so I hope you don´t mind? But I call it Crane Dance, when they are trying to impress their partner to be before taking off to have their babies, is this the right name for it? Same with the Black Grouse Lek and the Capercaillie's Lek. I have see they use the word DISPLAY instead of LEK at some places.

There is an amazing video on you tube. "One Capercaillie and 23 female" and this is what I call the breeding, after the Lek. Sorry for asking, but I just want to be sure not to make a "tit" out of myself using the wrong terms.

Aladdin

Hi Aladdin, I don't think your making a tit of yourself, Lek, is fine with me or Display and Crane dance is correct as far as I know :) sadly I live nearer to Liverpool then Scotland and never seen a Capercaillie or a Crane :(

Why I asked was that I go to RSPB Leighton Moss a lot I like to stay for a few days at a time and its a nice place for wildlife and bugs in June and they also have two hides on the salt marsh were all the waders are.

Anyway I will go and have a look at the link you have given, enjoy your Holiday in Sweden and I'm sure you will see what your going for, bye for now.

Jim

Last edited:
This is my favourite Robin from RSPB LM, me and a friend have called him FMR Four Minutes Robin because that's how long he stayed on my hand once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdtMOqyEgg&t=8s

Hi Jim

Leighton Moss, one of the places I spent time. And funny that you mention the Robin. They were really close and not afraid at all. I could walk all they way up to record them with the mic just a few cm away.

XENO-CANTO

I really wish to come back

Aladdin

Attachments

• 877.jpg
    877.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 878.jpg
    878.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 26
Very nice, Aladdin, I think if you had the cats tail of the recorder it would have landed on it :) they are very tame at Leighton Moss even the Great Tit and the Coal Tit will now land on you hand for seed.

Very nice, Aladdin, I think if you had the cats tail of the recorder it would have landed on it :) they are very tame at Leighton Moss even the Great Tit and the Coal Tit will now land on you hand for seed.

Cheers!

I think they call the bird the "SHOVEL BIRD"or something as they sit on the shovel when you do your gardening. Robins are one of my favourite bird as they really come close. Last time in UK the juvenile came right up to me looking for food next to my feet, too close for any proper pictures.

The New Zealand Robin is also amazing. Walking in the forest and they come after you, tree by tree. And it looks strange, they don't care about you, just looking at your feet when you walking.

Stopping ans scratching with my fee ton the ground and they come diving down to see if there is any food.

Maybe I see you sometime at any of the many beautiful RSBP sites in UK

Aladdin

Hi Aladdin, I have never heard them called a "SHOVEL BIRD" before but I do have a pictures of one on a shovles handle :) and you are correct they do land at you feet because like you say you disturb food when you move your feet :)
You never know Aladdin, I do go to quite a few but my favourite is Leighton Moss, I am going this Sunday for three days and I have found a new place to stay just 6.26 km away so I have booked a week in June too :)

I might have a FLICKR account I think there might be one picture uploaded :)

Best Regards
Jim

Hi Aladdin, I have never heard them called a "SHOVEL BIRD" before but I do have a pictures of one on a shovles handle :) and you are correct they do land at you feet because like you say you disturb food when you move your feet :)
You never know Aladdin, I do go to quite a few but my favourite is Leighton Moss, I am going this Sunday for three days and I have found a new place to stay just 6.26 km away so I have booked a week in June too :)

I might have a FLICKR account I think there might be one picture uploaded :)

Best Regards
Jim

Hello JIm

Maybe it is the Gardeners’ friend they call the bird. But there are a lot of pictures on internet with a Robin sitting on a shovel.

Leighton Moss was very nice, and I spotted quite a few deer in the area when looking out the bird hides. So it was exciting walking around as you never knew what would POP up

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Hello Aladdin, I have been away for a few days up at Leighton Moss and got some nice pictures so will be posting these on my Facebook group, I have been busy the last couple of days too and have just spent a five hours showing a friend how to take pictures that don't have a lot of DOF with a macro lens and he did not do to bad sadly its not bugs but pizza toppings :)

Regards
Jim

Hello Aladdin, I have been away for a few days up at Leighton Moss and got some nice pictures so will be posting these on my Facebook group, I have been busy the last couple of days too and have just spent a five hours showing a friend how to take pictures that don't have a lot of DOF with a macro lens and he did not do to bad sadly its not bugs but pizza toppings :)

Regards
Jim

Hi Jim

Don´t you have any Flikr account, I would like to see the pictures from Leighton Moss.

Kind regards
Aladdin

Hi Aladdin, this was taken on the 11th it will be one of my first ones that I will upload.

Little Grebe

Attachments

• Little Grebe_x_11_3_2019_LM.jpg
    Little Grebe_x_11_3_2019_LM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Hi Aladdin, this was taken on the 11th it will be one of my first ones that I will upload.

Little Grebe

BOOM! You got it! I really wish I could take pictures like this. I have taken many, but I have a hard time to focus with the surrounding water.

I guess you have been taking pictures for many years, and this picture as for the ones on your "OLD" Flickr account, professional pictures.

Looking forward to a link to your new account

By the way, I just discovered that they have a bird gallery here on birdforum, many nice pictures to see there. Do you post in the gallery?

Aladdin

Hi Aladdin, been busy the last few days, but I am away tomorrow for three days up at RSPB Leighton Moss, I have a new Flickr account now so will start to upload pictures what I get these next three days, and I think we should move off this thread and start another, I will have a look and give you a link when I start one :)

I only have a few pictures uploaded you can view them by looking at my Gallery

Regards Jim.

Attachments

• gallery.jpg
    gallery.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back