• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dictionary for Birders. Everything explained (1 Viewer)

Is there a place to print this from
Hi Dave

If you open up the article and scroll down the pane on the RHS, you will see in the Tools section an option for Printable Version.

Click on that.

How it looks may depend on your browser etc. I don't have a printer so haven't tried this myself.

Hi Dave

If you open up the article and scroll down the pane on the RHS, you will see in the Tools section an option for Printable Version.

Click on that.

How it looks may depend on your browser etc. I don't have a printer so haven't tried this myself.
Thank you I appreciate it

Cheers Dave. Hope it works OK.... let me know if there's any problems though won't you.

If any of you find a term that is missing, the opus editors will be interested in knowing!
Niels

Diastataxic

Having no secondary feather corresponding to the fifth feather of the greater wing coverts. If a secondary is present, the arrangement is called 'eutaxic'. Diastataxy occurs in for example Diomedeidae albatrosses

.... browse away Brian.... good ones there.

There's no reason why you shouldn't add them yourself if you want to.

Just browsing. Surprised that Mimicry and Mimetic are not defined for birds.

B
Thanks Brian,
the two -taxic and the mimicry entry made. I am not sure I have a good enough understanding of Mimesis to explain it, could you give an example?

Niels

Had to check myself what mimesis is, Google says:
'Sharing a lot of kinship with camouflage is “mimesis”, which is a variety of mimicry where an organism evolves to closely resemble a very specific benign environmental object to avoid detection.' Nov 26, 2015

As a non-native English speaker, I'd really appreciate if this dictionary included different types of habitat. I often struggle to describe the habitat in which I observed the bird. Was it shrubs? bushes? undergrowth? What are the differences?

Hi K.... OK good idea. There's lots of foreign habitats that I struggle with too.

To be going on with... basically... shrubs are found in gardens while bushes grow in the wild.
Undergrowth is low stuff that grows beneath trees and bushes, rarely coming above the knee.

That's my interpretation, others may differ slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back