• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying Straps and Other Accessories - a Rant (1 Viewer)

I typically change the length of the strap at least twice a year - in winter I need a longer strap than in summer because of all the clothing. So yes, I also chop of the bit that's not needed, but during the summer there are still some loose ends that need to be tucked away.
Hermann

But wouldn't a short double run solve that problem? I've gone radical though with the buckles at sub-eyecup level next to the barrels.
A couple of the thumbnails here illustrate what I thought most of us would want to avoid.

John

I typically change the length of the strap at least twice a year - in winter I need a longer strap than in summer because of all the clothing. So yes, I also chop of the bit that's not needed, but during the summer there are still some loose ends that need to be tucked away.

As much as I like the Queen of Hearts her thinking does seem to be somewhat simplistic ... :)

Hermann

That makes sense! I left about two inches extra on my SV straps for that purpose, and suddenly the Swaro straps make perfect sense. Nothing out there can be adjusted as quickly. Just a thought.

Yes, John, those are the ones I meant. I think they were called "Functional Bags" and they are that. They are very lightweight, fold flat, don't need their own strap, and provide, in my opinion, plenty of protection.
They were indeed called functional bags. A few years ago I tried to find one for my SV 8x32, but no retailer had them in stock. I contacted Swaro-AT and a very kind person searched their facility in Absam and found a forgotten functional bag that she sent to me free of charge. Unfortunately I did not use it much as imo the button closure was not ideal: you had to press the button rather hard to close the bag , and the focus wheel and the hinge of the binos were under that button.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

Personal preference I guess. I think it's an abonimation! ;)
The requirements of a rainguard are that it goes on and off quickly and doesn't get in the way (I attach mine via a cord loop to the strap).
The old oval Zeiss type was a bit bulky but otherwise ideal and is still available from some sources.
I have Leica Ultravid and Zeiss FL rainguards on two of my Swarovskis and the latter will even fit the enlarged eyecups of the 56 mm SLCs.

John

Hi John,

You really dislike that Swaro rainguard! I like it because I can take it off the eyecups very quickly, and it does not get in the way. As far as I know it's the only eyecup that can be adjusted to your IPD, so you don't need to flex it every time when you take it off or put it on (so you can use only one hand).

Peter

Hi John,

You really dislike that Swaro rainguard! I like it because I can take it off the eyecups very quickly, and it does not get in the way. As far as I know it's the only eyecup that can be adjusted to your IPD, so you don't need to flex it every time when you take it off or put it on (so you can use only one hand).

Peter

John and Peter,

Actually I can agree with both of you. I love the old Swaro ratchet style rainguard. But, that's because I run the straps through both sides. When used this way it's instant off with one hand and will usually fall back into place on its own with maybe a slight tap to secure it back in place as Peter says. However, as John prefers to attach a rainguard on one side only, I agree much of the advantage of the older Swarovski design is lost and the ratchet feature can be a problem/change setting unintentionally when removing and replacing.

I almost always re-accessorize bins to some extent including modifications of OEM and switching straps, cases and lens covers between brands and/or substituting after market accessories. As a single example the Zeiss Terra 32mm objective covers work well as a rainguard on my 12x32 Canon 12x36 IS and my wife's 8x25 Canon IS.

It does seem to me many people underestimate the value of fine tuning accessories and as Lee points out elsewhere in this thread, no manufacturer can please everyone with a single package of accessories.

Mike

The straps on my NL 8x42 were just too long because you can only adjust them so much without having a lot of strap hanging off and you can't cut them off because they have a permanent keeper on the strap, so I took them off and installed the little Swarovski adapter that allows you to use your regular strap. I put my Vero Vellini strap on and adjusted the length shorter and it worked very well. It is kind of a relief to get that big heavy Swarovski strap off my binoculars that was too long so don't be afraid of using the Swarovski adapter and a regular strap. It works quite well.

https://www.amazon.com/Vero-Vellini...vero+vellini+strap&qid=1602514128&sr=8-6&th=1

Attachments

• 51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I almost always re-accessorize bins to some extent including modifications of OEM and switching straps, cases and lens covers between brands and/or substituting after market accessories. As a single example the Zeiss Terra 32mm objective covers work well as a rainguard on my 12x32 Canon 12x36 IS and my wife's 8x25 Canon IS.

It does seem to me many people underestimate the value of fine tuning accessories and as Lee points out elsewhere in this thread, no manufacturer can please everyone with a single package of accessories.
I find this very interesting. More than once I've thought about opening a thread where forum members could show their mix-match Frankenssories (more on that later).

Regarding the OP, unlike many here, I really like the pre-FP Swarovski strap (I think it's called LCS, stands for "lift carrying strap"). I think they're really very well thought out (unlike the FP which I find pretty useless and unnecessarily over-engineered).
I love the fact that the LCS uses a "button style" clip system, it takes exactly 1 second to do and undo (unlike all the fiddling involved to attach a classic strap). Then there's the fact that you can change from regular "neck hang" to bandolier style in 1 second, which is something I do quite often while walking on the field. I like it so much that I actually bought a second unit to use with other binos.

And now, coming back to the subject mentioned by Mike about re-accesorising binos. For example it's not unusual for me to carry the Nikon EII inside the Monarch 7 8x30 case, with the rainguard of a 8x42 Zeiss Conquest and the Swarovski LCS strap. See attached. Isn't it nice? ;) (yes, for those with an eye for detail, the small cord attachment for the rain-guard comes from the stupid objective cover of a Zeiss Conquest HD).

On the subject of cases, my all-time favourite is the case of the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. It is small enough to go unnoticed in a daypack but large enough so that I've accommodated an Ultravid 7x42HD, for example, besides my usual everyday binos like the ELSV 8x32, the EII 8x30 (I place it sideways) and the Opticron Traveler ED 8x32. It has enough cushioning and protection and, most importantly, the belt loop is the best I've experience, it remains still (for example, the belt loop on the case of the Kowa BDXD 8x32 is so poorly designed that the case swings as you walk, terrible).
Regarding the accessories of Swarovski, not only do I find the FP system simply unnecessarily over-complicated, but the rain-guard is just a pain, and the case... it's enough to say that the SLC 8x42 uses the same one, it's huge, and doesn't come with a belt loop, something essential in a 8x32 IMHO.
So, there you have it. Show us your Frankenssories!!

Attachments

• Reaccesorize.jpeg
    Reaccesorize.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

There was a time when cameras and binoculars came with an 11 mm wide leather strap and pocket bins came on a thin nylon cord. Now manufacturers seem to want to surpass one another in size and complexity.
Some years ago a member here posted a heads-up on some cheap so-called NATO straps on an auction site. I bought a couple, as did Arthur Pinewood. The neck section is 25 mm wide cotton webbing, which is unsurpassed for suppleness and is very comfortable carrying a 950 g binocular. I have been unable to find anything similar and have even considered getting some made up by a saddler.

John
Hello John,

Indeed, I did buy them and a few more later. I also found some new old stock of a nylon neck strap, made for cameras, on that infamous digital auction site. The old leather straps on binoculars do fail after some decades and either nylon or cotton are longer lasting.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I’m using the very same camera strap that I had my Nikon F hanging from for almost 40 years. I have two of these vintage leather straps. Very easy on the neck.

Attachments

• 5BF1BBEF-B7E6-474C-8EFC-FFFE7A8CBB50.jpeg
    5BF1BBEF-B7E6-474C-8EFC-FFFE7A8CBB50.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
I’m using the very same camera strap that I had my Nikon F hanging from for almost 40 years. I have two of these vintage leather straps. Very easy on the neck.
Hi George,

I don't doubt that it's easy on your neck but the length looks as if the bin could pose a threat to other parts of your anatomy ;).

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back