• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon MHG 8x30 vs Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I'm noticing my 1st gen Swaro CL 8x30 seems to have a little better apparent brightness compared to the MHG. Sunday was a very dull gray day. I went out pretty early in the morning. Looking in dark shadows the HG seems relatively dim and I think this may just have to do with the warmer color tones compared to CL which has more neutral (cooler) tones. Apparent brightness is a little better overall in the CL IMO even though they may have very close total light transmission percentage.

This doesn't mean the HG is too dim. It was overall fine on that darkish gray Sunday morning.
For 8x30 it seems bright enough ... just not as helpful as the CL IMO.
This is the only area of performance where I find the CL a little better.

Last edited:
I'm noticing my 1st gen Swaro CL 8x30 seems to have a little better apparent brightness compared to the MHG. Sunday was a very dull gray day. I went out pretty early in the morning. Looking in dark shadows the HG seems relatively dim and I think this may just have to do with the warmer color tones compared to CL which has more neutral (cooler) tones. Apparent brightness is a little better overall in the CL IMO even though they may have very close total light transmission percentage.

This doesn't mean the HG is too dim. It was overall fine on that darkish gray Sunday morning.
For 8x30 it seems bright enough ... just not as helpful as the CL IMO.
This is the only area of performance where I find the CL a little better.
Swarovskis are known for brightness in low light. I have noticed that in all my Swarovskis. That is not to say the HG is weak in brightness it is just that Swarovskis shine in that area.

Still getting used to the quicker focus of the HG. I found it helpful this weekend.

This has been something I have been stating about the CL for a long time...it is SLOW to focus in on an object. The HG beats the CL hands down in many areas and is by far the better bin. And that is not to mention the price.... the CL is US 1200 vs the MHG for roughly $900... clearly a better bin

This has been something I have been stating about the CL for a long time...it is SLOW to focus in on an object. The HG beats the CL hands down in many areas and is by far the better bin. And that is not to mention the price.... the CL is US 1200 vs the MHG for roughly $900... clearly a better bin

For you it may be the better bin, but for me it wasn't. It is purely subjective, I couldn't get on with the handling of the HG, where as, for me, the CLs fit my hands like a glove. They are razer Sharp almost to the edge, where as the HGS, although have a slightly wider FOV, have a smaller sweet spot. I accept that the CLS are not without fault - their close focus could be better. But to say that the HG beats the CLs "hands down" and is "clearly" better is purely your opinion on what suits you. By the way, I am not slagging off the HGs here, they are very nice bins

For you it may be the better bin, but for me it wasn't. It is purely subjective, I couldn't get on with the handling of the HG, where as, for me, the CLs fit my hands like a glove. They are razer Sharp almost to the edge, where as the HGS, although have a slightly wider FOV, have a smaller sweet spot. I accept that the CLS are not without fault - their close focus could be better. But to say that the HG beats the CLs "hands down" and is "clearly" better is purely your opinion on what suits you. By the way, I am not slagging off the HGs here, they are very nice bins

Yes correct...I must admit that the CL feels really well in my hands too....I just had other issues but the 'fit' is perfect. To each their own ...I know I had both the CL and the MHG side by side ....in the field for awhile.

I cannot speak more highly of the process of selecting a binocular. Try them out....side by side if you can. One person's bin is not the other.

I wouldn't say the MHG beats the CL "hands down," but I do think that the comment that "it's a better birding tool" is about how I would summarize my feelings.

The CL is flatter field and perhaps more free of optical aberrations, yes. But the MHG has a better FOV, faster focus, closer focus, and better contrast. The CL might be better for stargazing (though who uses an 8x30 for stargazing?), and might test better in a lab, but for me the MHG wins as a birding tool.

The UV 8x32 is lovely but poor eye relief and the not amazing FOV leave me underwhelmed. If they could keep the form factor but up the FOV and make a compact NV 8x32, or if Nikon had an alpha lineup that kept the basic form factor / weights of the MHGs, it could really shake the market up. But the UVHD is kind of handicapped and a large slice of the birding community never even considers it.

I can't recall - have you tried the SFL's? I remain very impressed with 8x40.
Yes, I tried the 8x40 a couple times at a store. I liked some things about it, but preferred the 8x32 SF much more mostly for the ergonomics. I was able to try them together. I'd prefer an Ultravid 42 over the SFL 40 even though the Zeiss is lighter.

I'd like to take a look at the SFL 8x30 when it's available. The nature store I go to is supposed to have another Zeiss day coming up in the Spring. Hopefully, they'll have the little SFL there to try.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back