• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

A West bound drifting Black Kite was unexpected at 9.50am, soon followed by a ''Red'' one and several House Martins, the latter having been in short supply this year so far. Images once again not brilliant, but suffice in my opinion, no.79. :eek!:

Attachments

• P2220521.jpeg    Kite1..jpg
    P2220521.jpeg Kite1..jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 93
  • P2220522.jpeg   Kite 2..jpeg
    P2220522.jpeg Kite 2..jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P2220523.jpeg    Kite 3..jpeg
    P2220523.jpeg Kite 3..jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 74
  • P2220524.jpeg   Kite 4..jpeg
    P2220524.jpeg Kite 4..jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 77
  • P2220525.jpeg  Kite 5.jpeg
    P2220525.jpeg Kite 5.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 87
Just like London Buses! What appeared to be a 2nd Black Kite (different bird) feathers missing from wings on high at 15.40 this pm! I've just taken a sedative! :eek!:

Attachments

• P2220566.jpeg    BK1..jpg
    P2220566.jpeg BK1..jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 73
  • P2220565.jpeg   BK2..jpeg
    P2220565.jpeg BK2..jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 62
  • P2220565.jpeg    BK3..jpeg
    P2220565.jpeg BK3..jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 86
What is it about these two birds that makes you think otherwise?

Ken

Ken

Much better photos than yours, of both Black and Red Kites, have often been misidentified. Yours are, as usual, so poor that I can only assume you saw distinguishing characters that are not apparent from the photos you have posted. If so, what were they?

Mike

Ken

Much better photos than yours, of both Black and Red Kites, have often been misidentified. Yours are, as usual, so poor that I can only assume you saw distinguishing characters that are not apparent from the photos you have posted. If so, what were they?

Mike

Mike they wouldn’t win any prizes you’re quite right, and yes I have put up some less than perfect images in the past.

I Think you’ve been a little disparaging regarding my imaging prowess, presumably you excel in this field, it would be good to see your attempts.

Perhaps you’d like to post some of yours for public scrutiny, I’m sure you’d get a positive response.

Regarding what prompted me to image them would probably have something to do with their dark countenance showing no pale contrasting hand and very shallow tails not something that I attribute to RK...unless of course you consider a dark morph RK with a shallow tail as an alternative option?

These are aside questions and nothing to do with subject!

Firstly you’re not a “contributor” to this forum that I’m aware of, therefore why do you troll me on the few occasions that you appear, are you a DDL groupie?

Secondly, in 36 years I’ve given “the shout” to the Bird Information Services twelve times, one shout is still under consideration, one was erroneous, and upon realisation it was promptly withdrawn by myself.

That’s ten “spot on” shouts resulting in lots of happy faces for the rank and file.

What were yours?

Answers to Q1 and Q2 are obligatory!

No trolling intended of your "imag(in)ed" Black Kites. Rare birds need convincing photos and/or descriptions be accepted as such. At least you weren't claiming them as Goshawks.

Ken - the first bird did look a bit like a Black Kite but I would not be at all definite from your photos. The second I think is a Red Kite.

Steve

No trolling intended of your "imag(in)ed" Black Kites. Rare birds need convincing photos and/or descriptions be accepted as such. At least you weren't claiming them as Goshawks.

You haven’t answered my questions...I wonder why?

Last edited:
no more photos? I can see a kite but it is not clear that is certainly a Black Kite, the angle could account for the shallow fork in the tail and some of the pictures make the pale primaries look too contrasting for a Black Kite

no more photos? I can see a kite but it is not clear that is certainly a Black Kite, the angle could account for the shallow fork in the tail and some of the pictures make the pale primaries look too contrasting for a Black Kite

The second image looks like a Red Kite to me too. Just can't tell with the first-maybe, maybe not but on just this I can't see it being accepted by the London Birders rarity committee.

Mike they wouldn’t win any prizes you’re quite right, and yes I have put up some less than perfect images in the past.

I Think you’ve been a little disparaging regarding my imaging prowess, presumably you excel in this field, it would be good to see your attempts.

Perhaps you’d like to post some of yours for public scrutiny, I’m sure you’d get a positive response.

Regarding what prompted me to image them would probably have something to do with their dark countenance showing no pale contrasting hand and very shallow tails not something that I attribute to RK...unless of course you consider a dark morph RK with a shallow tail as an alternative option?

These are aside questions and nothing to do with subject!

Firstly you’re not a “contributor” to this forum that I’m aware of, therefore why do you troll me on the few occasions that you appear, are you a DDL groupie?

Secondly, in 36 years I’ve given “the shout” to the Bird Information Services twelve times, one shout is still under consideration, one was erroneous, and upon realisation it was promptly withdrawn by myself.

That’s ten “spot on” shouts resulting in lots of happy faces for the rank and file.

What were yours?

Answers to Q1 and Q2 are obligatory!

The standard Ken response to anyone that has the nerve to question him, deflect, criticise and name calling with little substance to answering the actual questions. Followed up by reminiscing over a few (Distant) past glories....

For me, at least one is a red kite and wouldn’t be surprised if the other is too.

The photo below shows a Black Kite. Look how dark the undertail coverts are. Now look at the last photo in Ken's first sequence. Pale undertail. Classic immature Red Kite.

The second bird is also a Red Kite. Off your list!

John

Attachments

• 20200112 (24)_Black_Kite.JPG
    20200112 (24)_Black_Kite.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 34
The photo below shows a Black Kite. Look how dark the undertail coverts are. Now look at the last photo in Ken's first sequence. Pale undertail. Classic immature Red Kite.

The second bird is also a Red Kite. Off your list!

John

Have re-appraised the images and further to your comments, I believe the wings now to be too long for BK and in future (I believe structurally more important!) BK has 6 fingers opposed to 5 in RK...a surprising omission from the critique so far? Admittedly the hand is in moult and it would be nigh on impossible for counting purposes, in future will shoot on six only!

Off the list John!....to be replaced by a singing Cuckoo!.....there is a silver lining behind every Black Kite. ;)

A six-shooter from now on then Ken, makes you sound like John Wayne!
Still waiting for a Cuckoo here( just one heard last year on one day only.

The standard Ken response to anyone that has the nerve to question him, deflect, criticise and name calling with little substance to answering the actual questions. Followed up by reminiscing over a few (Distant) past glories....

We never see any images of your claims Ryan, I’d have thought that living on the coast (bit like shooting fish in a barrel) you’d want to image the odd rare that floats by....you must have reasons?
At least with my images you get warts and all, in other words...what you get is what you see..more than what can be said for you!

Regarding past glories and let’s hope future?...to do half as well in a more challenging environment (11 miles from St.Pauls) you would struggle period!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back