• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I always regret selling my.......? (1 Viewer)

I regret selling my Meopta meostar 7x42s.
I'm not convinced that I would use them much if I still had them as I have Leica uvhd 7x42s now.
I miss them because they remind me of a month long trip to Alaska for my honeymoon.
I really liked those bins but I sold them to part fund Zeiss FL 7x42s which I still have.
I will have to be in utter financial dire straits to sell the zeiss's or my Nikon se 8x32s.

Like Edith, Je ne regrette rien. Mais ce n'est pas vrai...I regret selling my SE 8x32. Three units, in fact. And my SE 10x42. Even more. But more, 'much more than this', I regret selling my Nikon EDG 8x42 II. Interesting that my only regrets are Nikon binos. Does this say more about Nikon, or about me?

I regret part-exchanging my perfectly formed Leitz 10x40 BA trinovids for the Leica 10x42 BA's. I think that's one of the reasons I'm tempted by the Retrovids.

'i always regret getting rid of my [INSERT HERE]'
From a purely practical point of view, I have no regrets having unloaded a bino maybe twice in the last 30 years, and only because I wouldn't or couldn't use it anymore. But sometimes I have a twinge of nostalgia for the Zeiss 10x50 porro (c.1965). I suppose I simply chose not to be a "collector".

Vespa 90. Banana Yellow. C.1979. And yes, that is me on the left.

Bizarrely couldn't see the person on the left at all for ages until it sprung out at me. All I could see was an infant in a romper suit or something!

(Like how the photo includes the query/directive 'fix lighting' ;) )

Hi,

you can get my SE and E2 from my cold dead hands... hopefully in the distant future...

Joachim, who has not yet sold optics...

Hello,

I regretted selling my 8x30 Nikon EII, when I got my Zeiss 8x32 FL. The Zeiss is a better glass but with a narrower FOV. I read that the new Zeiss SF 8x32 matched the EII's FOV.
I solved that problem by having and using both.|:D| (I use them for different things, so don't really see them as competing.) The SF doesn't really fit my needs so I'll pass on those, though I'm sure they're quite excellent for those they do suit.

You can find the Zeiss 7x42 FL and Nikon SE 8x32 for sale from time to time. They aren't as rare as you think. I think the fact that you can't just go buy a pair off the shelf makes you desire them more. It is kind of like the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence or a girl you used to date. Your memories are better than reality. If you did find the Zeiss 7x42 FL or Nikon 8x32 SE you would probably find they are not up to the latest alphas and be disappointed. I have been there done that.
I guess I'm going to find that out - I'm getting hold of a set of pre-Lotutec 7x42FLs Real Soon Now (I hope). These are most certainly in the "want", rather than "need" category but I do have a rather specific use planned for them. I might pass them along if they don't pan out for that. (I'm not very good at selling optics. I've sold none, but have given some away. The FLs are expensive enough to challenge that habit if they don't work for me.)

I also, recently, passed up a chance at a set of 8x32SEs. I'm not sure I made the right decision there, but I'm also "full up" on 8x30ish bins so couldn't really see a case where I'd likely use them in preference to bins I already have. If I ever stumble across a set of 10x42SEs, I might take a different view. I like my 10x35EIIs well enough, but I might well have a different use for 10x42s (I don't have anything in that format).

But I might not be in the spot you are. I'm not really chasing after "the latest alpha view". I'm not really invested in the whole "alpha" concept. For example, my 8x32FLs might no longer be considered "alpha" models - but I don't really care. None which are so considered would actually do the job I want those for. (And, honestly, I spent way too much time/money trying to find something - anything - less expensive which would do that job. I should have just bought the blasted FLs to start with and saved myself. I just didn't know that until I'd already been through the process.)

Another example would be my 8x42 Torics. I don't use an 8x42 all that much, but I was interested in those (they were new at the time) and they're more than good enough for me. I do wonder if I should have bought 8x42 Conquests instead, but since I have the Torics already then they'll more than do and I've no hankering for change. And I never even considered buying an "alpha" in the format. I wouldn't use it enough and, as I said, I find the "alpha" thing something I'm just not that interested in chasing.

...Mike

Can I join the Nikon SE selling regret club here?
I was after an SE 8x32 with SN=551xxx but you sold yours before I could react (I might be wrong, but I believe you said that you needed money to pay some bills, possibly the rent...). Then, I might be mistaken but I believe you bought another SE 8x32, you mean you sold that one too?
PS. I owned three SEs 8x32 and one SE 10x42, sold all and have no regret as I was not using them (but I liked looking at them....)

I was after an SE 8x32 with SN=551xxx but you sold yours before I could react (I might be wrong, but I believe you said that you needed money to pay some bills, possibly the rent...). Then, I might be mistaken but I believe you bought another SE 8x32, you mean you sold that one too?
PS. I owned three SEs 8x32 and one SE 10x42, sold all and have no regret as I was not using them (but I liked looking at them....)

You've got a good memory! Yep, I sold two or was it three, I forget. I have Zeiss SF and pockets now. As others have said, there may be technically better, but the SE's are special. They go for crazy prices on ebay now and very rarely come up for sale.

The question I can't help but ask is - what made you sell them three times over? Sancho has also sold three - I can understand letting one go the first time, but twice more after you realized what a keeper they were? If Nikon were offering them as a stock product would you rush straight out and buy one (or more)?

One wonders whether APM or one of the other PRC manufacturers is missing a trick here. The PRC manufacturers are definitely capable of producing quality lenses, coatings, etc. Build quality has historically been where PRC-made binoculars fall down, but the APM 8x30 and 6x30 Canip reviewed a while back look well enough built. We know that porro prism binoculars don't require the same tolerances as roof prism models, which should help with manufacturing (some costs saved with regard to tolerances could go towards build quality). So the price of a SE-clone could likely be kept below roof levels but the actual profit margin kept at the same level. And if the opinion on Birdforum at all matches reality, there should be quite a bit of demand...

I don't need or even want to purchase any binoculars anymore, and I'm less than thrilled with the PRC right now thanks to "these unprecendented times" - but if Kunming or some other manufacturer produced a 10x42 flat field porro with their best coatings and glass, solid build (doesn't need to be made like a Zeiss West porro, but surely it's possible to achieve say Swift type I quality in this day and age?) and decent weatherproofing, I might find myself holding my nose for just long enough to grab one.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back