• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sawfly (?) with long tail ID (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

I found this insect earlier today at the edge of a small group of deciduous trees in an open grassy area. It looks like a sawfly to me, but the closest match I've found is Urocerus gigas - which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5216 cr ed 1500.jpg
    IMG_5216 cr ed 1500.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 23
Hello

I found this insect earlier today at the edge of a small group of deciduous trees in an open grassy area. It looks like a sawfly to me, but the closest match I've found is Urocerus gigas - which I'm pretty sure is wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Ichneumonidae, possibly Banchinae?

Many thanks for the speedy response, Ficedula!

I'm sure you're right as I found the following image after Googling "Banchinae" which looks like a very good match to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banchinae#/media/File:Lissonota_sp01.jpg

I'm guessing that it's not going to be possible to ID it down to species level from this photo alone though!

Regards

Paul

not from a single shot, least not by me, Lissonota are common and diverse and most I find exceedingly difficult to name from specimens let alone a photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back