• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gloves for binoculars and smartphone in snowy conditions (1 Viewer)

jurek

Anybody can advise gloves warm enough for hiking at -10oC or so, but flexible enough to easily move focus in binoculars and allowing to use smartphone?

Possibly they are some work gloves much cheaper than stuff sold in outdoor stores.

I think for specific suggestions you'll probably have to give more details, Jurek. I run quite warm when hiking, so even up to -10 I'm unlikely to want to wear gloves unless I expect to stand a bit. Fleece gloves which are suitable for smartphone use should do the trick in that situation, I would have thought, and they typically won't be thick enough to stop you from focussing binoculars.

On the other hand, if you're looking for gloves that are waterproof because you envision using them when it's around freezing and you might get wet you're looking at completely different segment of the market.

Andrea

I meant conditions where fleece gloves are definitely not enough. You are right that when moving, limited clothing is sufficient to keep you warm. But when you stop for several minutes and take gloves off repeatedly for using bins and mobile or photography, then hands begin to freeze. Not fun when you must stop watching a bird or a mammal because you get too cold. Perhaps gloves used for winter photography would be good...

I have a pair of Sealskinz gloves which my son bought me and they have been tremendous. He had used the same type in near Arctic conditions on the bridge of a Frigate off Norway so not too much moving about and if you buy the right pair they have the advantage of a finger pad which allows you to use a mobile phone. They are generally warm enough and not so bulky that they become a burden when trying to handle equipment. They live in the pocket of my 'scope pack and go everywhere with me.
The code number on the label is 1211403 which may identify the particular style but they are a stretch fleece with mobile phone enabled finger tip

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back