• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Tern is this ? (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi All,

Apologies for the poor photo but this is all I have on this one ... is there enough here to give a definitive answer on what species this is.

This was photographed over the Indian Ocean at Macaneta, Mozambique and I am not sure between Swift, Elegant or Lesser-Crested :(

Attachments

• Tern 01.jpg
    Tern 01.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the responses everyone. I was also thinking Lesser Crested Tern but a very good South African bird guide suggested that this is Swift Tern. Can anyone agree with that and if so could you let me know what makes you think it one way or another .... thanks

For what it’s worth I also thought Swift/Greater Crested on seeing your image. These 2 sp (Greater CT and lesser CT) are easily confused on less than perfect shots like this. Is this the only image you have?

For what it’s worth I also thought Swift/Greater Crested on seeing your image. These 2 sp (Greater CT and lesser CT) are easily confused on less than perfect shots like this. Is this the only image you have?

I've also been fooled before by Greater Crested Terns with alarmingly orange-tinged bills, presumably around breeding time?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back