• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best field guide for north america? (1 Viewer)

Rummy6

Can anyone recommend a good guide for North American birds - I'm looking for an equivalent to my well loved 'Birds of Britain and Europe'. I'm looking through lists and lists and getting very confused!! Is there just one book or am I going to need several to cover different areas? It doesn't need to be a small book as I'm not going to be travelling with it, just learning and dreaming. Thank you...

The Sibley Guide to Birds, published by National Audubon Society

It's the best by miles.
Chris

Welcome to Birdforum ...

As mentioned, the different field guides are, well, different, and different people will have different preferences. If it's a case of 'window shopping' in the books themselves, rather than actually using it in the field, the copy of National Geographic is more interesting artistically than the Sibley I have IMO, although I do have older editions of both. Some book selling websites allow you to view inside the pages ... maybe this would help?

(eg here )

Two primary guides. Sibley's Guide to Birds and the National Geographic Field Guide to Birds.

Both complement each other and many experienced birders in our bird club use both.

Both are available in Eastern and Western editions.

Definitely the Sibley Guide to Birds of North America. I am also quite fond of the National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Birds of North America. It has some really nice photos in it.

I like the National Geo....you have two volumes (eastern and western)...Of course it always helps to have another one, sibley or Kauffman (my second choice) as you frequently bounce back and forth between.

If in the field....either National Geo or Kauffman...

Thanks chaps. I think I'll have a flick through the Sibleys and the Nat Geo before deciding.
(And sorry, I didn't realise all this was already in another thread)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back