• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pondering the Swarovski EL 8x32 (vs Nikon Monarch HG) (1 Viewer)

jonhicks

Jon Hicks
United Kingdom
I recently had a trip to In Focus at Slimbridge to try out and buy some new bins. After trying everything on my research list, it came down to the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 and a used pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42. I ended up choosing the Nikon's as I found the weight of the ELs too much. However, after a few weeks of use I find the central bridge feels too much 'in the way' and a bit sharp against my fingers. The optics are great, but the ergonomics not so much. The open-bridge feel of the ELs felt perfect, but were too heavy for me.

There wasn't a pair of EL 8x32's to try at the time, but now that I see the advertised weight of them, I'm wondering whether they would've been the sweet spot. Obviously I need to find somewhere to try them out, but I've always used 8x42s and I'm wondering whether the 8x32's would have enough light-gathering? Or any other plusses/negatives compared to the Nikons. Thoughts appreciated…

Hi Jon, I don`t know the Nikon so can`t comment how the EL compares, however I have the 8x32FP, to be honest as 32mm bins go IMHO the el is in a class of its own, any brightness it gives up compared to a 42mm is mostly insignificant, whilst it has the ease of eye placement of any 5mm exit pupil optic.

For me it does have an Achilles heel, and that is stray light control, veiling glare, but on balance, its brightness, resolution, weight, handling and ease of view make it just about the perfect Birding binocular.

Hi Jon, I have had all the top 32mm's and they are a good choice if you don't want the weight of a 42mm and you don't do a lot of birding at dusk or in low light situations then I prefer a 42mm. Remember a 42mm brings in 70% more light than a 32mm. I agree with Torview on the EL 8x32FP. The weak spot is the veiling glare and stray light control. The bigger aperture EL's like the 42mm and 50mm are better with stray light. I have a 12x50 SV and it controls stray light pretty good. I use the Nikon EDG II 8x32 and the Zeiss FL 8x32 for my 32mm birding binoculars because they have better stray light control than the EL. They are the number 1 and 2 ranked 32mm binoculars on Allbino's and they are both sensational. It is a hard choice between the two. The FL is smaller and lighter and has a bigger FOV with a little better CA control and the on-axis resolution is just awesome, whereas, the EDG has a smoother more fluid focuser(EDG's have the best focuser of ANY binocular because they use grease, whereas, the FL and the EL are greaseless so they don't get stiff in cold temperatures) and slightly sharper edges. Either one is just superb and each time I put them to my eyes I whisper WOW. The EDG's are quite a bit better than the Nikon Monarch HG's. If glare control is important to you and you use your binoculars in a lot of high glare situations like on lakes or the ocean I would try the EDG or the FL because either one is going to better than the EL 8x32 with glare although the EL 8x32 is a superb binocular in it's own right. For me the EDG and the FL are a little easier for eye placement than the EL also and they seem to be less prone to blackouts. I am going on vacation and I am planning on doing some birding in Cape Coral, Florida to see if I can find an Ivory Billed Woodpecker next week for three weeks. If I can't find an Ivory Billed I will settle for a Pileated.

https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/00000144-0a2c-d3cb-a96c-7b2de4bd0000

Attachments

• 563691380166642219904e855d204f24.jpg
    563691380166642219904e855d204f24.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 7109678.jpg
    7109678.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Many thanks folks! I've often heard the EL 8x32 described as 'perfect Birding binocular'. I did try the Zeiss Victory 8x42, which I liked for the optics and and open bridge design, but weight was similar to the EL 8.5x42. I think if I changed my mind on the Nikon's it would have to be for the open bridge design, which the FL 8x32s don't have, but will keep an open mind!

Jon:
I will also offer my opinion, I own both the 8.5x42 and 8x32 SV, and they are both very good as you know.
I also like the 10x42 Nikon Monarch HG, it is light, bright and a great choice, but I have not tried the 8X models.

For your question, I will recommend the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV, as it will be plenty bright in all lighting conditions, it has
a very wide and pleasing 8* FOV, and it has the best ergos of any binocular that I have used.
It is a very great all around birding binocular, and for any other uses.

You are not finished shopping until you try this one. This binocular can easily be the one and done for most everyone.

Jerry

For your question, I will recommend the Swarovski 8x32 EL SV, as it will be plenty bright in all lighting conditions, it has
a very wide and pleasing 8* FOV, and it has the best ergos of any binocular that I have used.
It is a very great all around birding binocular, and for any other uses.

You are not finished shopping until you try this one. This binocular can easily be the one and done for most everyone.

Jerry

Great advice! I only pick the SV 8.5X42 in some cases when I prefer the 8.5X magnification. OTHERWISE, I'd rather than the 8X32. More FOV, lighter, better ergonomics.

Thanks everyone your replies have given me enough confidence, I've ordered a pair to trial, and can't wait for them to come.

Chuck, I believe you've used the Monarch 8x42's as one of your (many!) binoculars, so that's good to hear. I did like the difference with the 8.5x magnification, but would accept that .5x as a trade-off for lighter model.

Decision made, the EL 8x32 turned out to tick all the boxes. Comparing to the Nikon's, there was no noticeable difference in light gathering. Hooray!

Great decision! I just chose the same bino's as well. The Nikon HG's for me did not hold their own at all compared to the Swaro's in the limited viewing time that I had.

I have had the 8x32 EL FP for the last few years and they are exceptionally good so you will not regret. When i was in the market i tried all of EL/FP range but i kept coming back to the 8x32FP because of the size/weight. The massive field of view is just wonderful. I use them both handheld and on a tripod, some may think using an 8x32 on a tripod is strange but it really does let you enjoy the quality of view and for extended viewing nothing beats it.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=362896
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342504

The Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion weighs only 17.6 ounces or there is the 8x30 version if you have difficulty with a 10x binocular. On land a 10x is fine but on a boat I want a 8x one.

The magnification is important as a 10x will provide more subject detail than a 8x irrespective of the objective lens diameter. I went with a 10x25 instead of the 8x25 for that reason. With 25mm objectives I wanted the image gain from the 10x magnification.

The Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion weighs only 17.6 ounces or there is the 8x30 version if you have difficulty with a 10x binocular. On land a 10x is fine but on a boat I want a 8x one.

On trips in the mountains where I want to keep the weight down as much as possible I almost always take the 10x30 CL. Pretty good optics, less veiling glare than the SV 8x32, very light. Two things I don't like about them: The diopter adjustment and the Field Pro Attachments. Both quite obviously designed by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. [1]

Hermann

[1] I assume the designer was a man, no woman would ever make such design errors.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back