• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

There's lots of walks available at O'Reilly's and we chose the Booyong Walk.

Not long in I spotted a blob in a tree, but it was rather dark and getting focused was tricky. Got it ID'd by mjh (many thanks) as an immature Eastern Yellow Robin (not my first sighting of the species, but my first youngster).

High in the fork of a tree Hans spotted a female Paradise Riflebird (my only bird-of-paradise of the trip I think).

All the way round I could hear whipbirds calling... such a distinctive call. Then we came to the Treetop walk, which Judy and I decided to take. The picture I've chosen, shows a guy climbing up a tree ladder. Nope!!! Not doing that!!!:eek!:

It was very interesting to do, but being late morning now, I guess most of the birds had taken to the shade.

Back on firm ground, we met up with Hans again and shortly after found a rather lovely juvenile King Parrot.

Then it was time for lunch. And what a view you get from their restaurant!

Attachments

• BF Eastern Yellow Robin juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Yellow Robin juvenile thread.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 29
  • BF Paradise Riflebird female thread.jpg
    BF Paradise Riflebird female thread.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Tree climber on the Treetop Walk thread.jpg
    BF Tree climber on the Treetop Walk thread.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 32
  • BF King Parrot juvenile thread.jpg
    BF King Parrot juvenile thread.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 23
  • BF View from O'Reilly's Restaurant thread.jpg
    BF View from O'Reilly's Restaurant thread.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 23
A final tidy-up of this lovely visit to O'Reilly's for after lunch we then had to start making our way back.

First a female Golden Whistler in the rainforest. Then, as we were leaving the car park, a Grey Shrikethrush which I chased around the area for ages before I could get just this one image!!! We'd seen one on the way up which I couldn't get at all!

A couple of Whiptail Wallabies were found on our drive back down the mountain.

Then we have a view taken from one of the view points on the access road.

And lastly, another shot of that young Eastern Whipbird.

What a day that was.

Other birds seen / heard on this trip were White-browed Scrubwren, Lewin's Honeyeater, Bell Miner (heard), Blue-faced Honeyeater. We also saw an old nest of a Yellow-throated Scrubwren (identified by Judy), but never saw the species.

Attachments

• BF Golden Whistler female thread.jpg
    BF Golden Whistler female thread.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Grey Shrikethrush thread.jpg
    BF Grey Shrikethrush thread.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Whiptail Wallaby thread.jpg
    BF Whiptail Wallaby thread.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Access road Viewpoint thread.jpg
    BF Access road Viewpoint thread.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Juvenile Eastern Whipbird thread.jpg
    BF Juvenile Eastern Whipbird thread.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 26
LOL Sue. I am back home now (about 7 weeks now) and yeah.... had withdrawal symptoms. Especially as I left Perth in 41 C and arrived back in Scotland at -1C.

That really wasn't funny!

Today's next installment is in preparation. Been out this evening

Austinville Valley

17 October 2019

But first a picture taken late the evening before of a Laughing Kookaburra on the roof of one of the cabins.

I had a wander in the grounds before breakfast and got the next few pictures; a small flock of King Parrots arrived (looked like a family group), pecking about around the kitchen area, then flew up into a tree.

A Pied Butcherbird feasting on some bread that someone had put out. Then another picture of the Noisy Miner, with the odd clump of feathers on his nape.

After breakfast we headed back up the Austinville Valley, so here's another view of the rainforest there. Judy drove very slowly, while Hans had got out and walked along the road ahead of us trying to hear and spot stuff away from the car.

Attachments

• BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 18
  • BF King Parrot flock thread.jpg
    BF King Parrot flock thread.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Noisy Miner Mount Nimmel thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Miner Mount Nimmel thread.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Austinville Valley forest thread.jpg
    BF Austinville Valley forest thread.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Mike.... it sure did a good job for me.

Had a few issues with it in the early days (mainly every now and then I couldn't control the zoom.... zoomed out and it would immediately zoom in again!??). While we were in the Gold Coast we went to Camera Land where Hans & Judy had purchased the camera. And the guy was really helpful. He guessed I'd put my finger on a button on the side.

Seems he was right, 'cos it's not happened since.

Arriving at the top, Judy and I clambered over a gate and went up a track a bit into the forest. Suddenly I saw a blob up in a tree and managed to get Judy onto it.

Began to shake then... a much wanted Wompoo Fruit Dove... and Hans wasn't with us!!

A bit of manoeuvring (by me and the bird LOL) and the use of Judy's shoulder (then later some processing by Hans) produced this picture. What a star this bird is.

Beside the car, I took a picture of this Quondong fruit - rather attractive these, aren't they.

We then drove / stopped / walked down the valley, but I've no more pictures. However, we heard or saw Red-browed Finches, Black-faced Monarch, Shining Bronze Cuckoo, White-faced Heron, Welcome Swallow.

Then we arrived at, believe it or not, Pisspot Pond and stopped there for a while to see what was around, not much apart from an Ibis having a preen. A Spangled Drongo called as he flew over.

Continuing on, Judy pointed out this beautiful Flame Tree (I think the trees in the background are Bunya Pines - fell in love with them).

Attachments

• BF Wompoo-Fruit-Dove thread.jpg
    BF Wompoo-Fruit-Dove thread.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Quondong fruit thread.jpg
    BF Quondong fruit thread.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 81
  • BF Pisspot Pond thread.jpg
    BF Pisspot Pond thread.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Australian White Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian White Ibis thread.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 63
  • BF Flame Tree thread.jpg
    BF Flame Tree thread.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 41
I have been avidly following this thread from the very beginning as if it was a favourite TV show (I have said this before), but in the past ten days or so it has taken on a new significance, as I have been looking at the pictures of green valleys and colourful birds trying to find some relief from the terrible news of the bushfires in Oz. Keep it up Delia!

Thanks Chris... he was rather special!

Oh 3IB... thank you so much for the lovely comments. An Aussie soap... who'd have thought it LOL

But I'm so glad that my attempts at recording my trip is bringing pleasure to you. So you'll be pleased to hear that the next episode is in production!;)

We arrived at Mudgeeraba Hinterlands and the Glossy Black Cockatoo walk, but failed again to find any.

However, we did manage to see a few other birds, such as a rather nice Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, the Spangled Drongo returned to see us and a Magpie Lark.

We then went for a drive round the country lanes of Bonogin, tried a forest walk, but gave that one up very quickly, as it was too hot and there didn't seem to be any birds around at all.

We stopped for a while for a cuppie in a quiet backwater and I managed to get a couple of pictures.

In this area we also saw / heard a male Satin Bowerbird, White Ibis, Australian Magpie, Rainbow Lorikeet and Noisy Miner

There was a Pied Butcherbird sitting in a tree keeping an eye on a youngster on the ground. I'm trying to decide if the one in the tree is a female or an older juvenile? Also a Galah popped onto the ground nearby for a feed.

Attachments

• BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Sulphur-crested Cockatoo thread.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 33
  • BF Spangled Drongo thread.jpg
    BF Spangled Drongo thread.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 56
  • BF Pied Butcherbird 1 thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird 1 thread.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 38
  • BF Pied Butcherbird Juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird Juvenile thread.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 35
  • BF Galah thread.jpg
    BF Galah thread.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 38
Nice pictures, really like the markings you can see on the Pied Butcherbird. And the Galahs coloring.

Arriving at the top, Judy and I clambered over a gate and went up a track a bit into the forest. Suddenly I saw a blob up in a tree and managed to get Judy onto it.

Began to shake then... a much wanted Wompoo Fruit Dove... and Hans wasn't with us!!

A bit of manoeuvring (by me and the bird LOL) and the use of Judy's shoulder (then later some processing by Hans) produced this picture. What a star this bird is.

Beside the car, I took a picture of this Quondong fruit - rather attractive these, aren't they.

We then drove / stopped / walked down the valley, but I've no more pictures. However, we heard or saw Red-browed Finches, Black-faced Monarch, Shining Bronze Cuckoo, White-faced Heron, Welcome Swallow.

Then we arrived at, believe it or not, Pisspot Pond and stopped there for a while to see what was around, not much apart from an Ibis having a preen. A Spangled Drongo called as he flew over.

Continuing on, Judy pointed out this beautiful Flame Tree (I think the trees in the background are Bunya Pines - fell in love with them).
I think I enjoyed hearing the Wompoo Fruit Doves as much as seeing them.

Thanks Lisa, and you too Sue.

Yeah the Wompoo Fruit Dove sure does have a great call, doesn't he. So distinctive.

Mt Nimmel to Taromeo

18 October 2019

But first the night before: I was in my cabin, having downloaded the day's images and was packing my stuff ready to leave the next morning, when Hans came hammering on my door and told me to come quickly!

By the time I'd got my feet on and collected my camera he was out of sight and I'd no idea where he'd gone (it was quite dark). However, I saw a lot of people at the kitchen block so headed that way.

WOWSER!! A wee family of Brushtail Possums. Father up the tree and mother and a bairn on the ground. They didn't seem too phased by the light being shone on them and gave us some good views before she took the baby under the building.

A wonderful experience that and I went to bed a happy bunny.

So the next morning we were heading home but called in at Oxenford Weir on the way, much earlier in the day than the previous visit so it would be interesting to see what was there.

A charming Willie-Wagtail was displaying so nicely (wish I knew how to do videos). Whereas our wagtails pump their tails up and down, these go left to right

Out in the water was a Little Egret in his beautiful breeding plumage. Still around was the tiny Striated Heron, while another new spot for the site was a stunning Sacred Kingfisher.

Attachments

• BF Brushtail Possum thread.jpg
    BF Brushtail Possum thread.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 97
  • BF Willie-Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie-Wagtail thread.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Little Egret thread.jpg
    BF Little Egret thread.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Striated Heron thread.jpg
    BF Striated Heron thread.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Sacred Kingfisher thread.jpg
    BF Sacred Kingfisher thread.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 46
While Hans and I were checking out the area of the weir, Judy had taken the car into town to stock up on supplies for home.

But she missed out on some quite nice sightings really.

The next was a hunting Great Crested Tern who came close enough for some flight shots, which I'd always had great difficulty with before. Then there was a couple of Pacific Black Ducks, both new ticks for this site.

Up on the power lines above the car park was a pair of Welcome Swallows. In a distant tree sat an Osprey. Then later the swallows were replaced by a Crested Pigeon. I still think these are the cutest of all the pigeons/doves that I've seen LOL

Attachments

• BF Great Crested Tern thread.jpg
    BF Great Crested Tern thread.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 75
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 39
  • BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 34
  • BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Osprey thread.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 40
  • BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 42
Love those Possums! A cracking shot of the Tern too Delia - you're really getting to grips with the new camera!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back