• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta No Hunting this Spring and Spring Hunting Poll thread combined (1 Viewer)

Here's how the voting stands at the moment. It looks like the yes lobby have run out of voters.

no 57.8%
yes 41.3%
don't know 0.9%
Total votes: 7539

There are people who put themselves and their property at risk while working to end this indiscriminate hunting.
See this article: http://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20080421/local/birdlife-reports-attack-on-birdwatchers-car
They deserve our support. Please vote.

Twite.

I agree with you Twite and they do deserve our support. Those out there working to end the slaughter of wild birds on or over Malta are in my thoughts daily.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
:t: Done
current vote
NO 58.6
yes 40.6%
total votes 8086
Good Luck Malta
Cheers
Col D

Voted for the ban some days ago but with mixed feelings. Not sure how today's decision will be taken by the hunters - it concerns me that in what most of them regard as a legitimate desire to hunt quail/turtle dove, the decision will cause a backlash against birds of prey etc. You can make something illegal but it doesn't stop illegal persecution.

It is good news Dean, I agree, but am skeptical of the effect it will have on the existing illegal hunting in Malta (ie. BoP etc) of which has been going on regardless - adding more 'illegality' with quail and TD to the existing laws that protect BoP in Malta, might just be ignored too.

At least, there will be no excuse now for anyone walking round shooting at any kind of birds during the Spring season - making it easier to stop the poachers but it may possibly alienate those who have had regard for the raptor laws in Malta and we still need those on side whether you agree with hunting or not (not in my case!).

Last edited:
Hi Dean,

It is great news, now we just need the police to concentrate their efforts on catching "criminals with guns" take the guns and revoke their licences, the fines should cover their wages. Sorry don't know how else to put that.

Ann :egghead:

Hi Deb,

I can see your point but I guess we have got to start somewhere and now is not the time to be complacent on the issue. There may well be a backlash and continued persecution against birds of prey in Malta but these birds were/are being slaughtered anyway along with many other species. The campaign and the decision made today is a major step forward in addressing the issue legally. The line has to be drawn somewhere and I think the decision made today is an important milestone that has been reached.

I suspect that Birdlife international Observation camps and monitoring will be needed for some years to come. Quality policing in regard to illegal hunting/poaching practices will also need to be in place.

Its a case of watch this space and not being complacent at this time.

For me the most important thing is promoting the protection of wild birds on Malta, for them to be safe and to live out their lives naturally. It's going to be a long road that we travel with this issue and the road will not always be straight.

Hi Ann,

A good decision was made today and is great news. I know you will be very pleased. I know I am.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Hi Dean,

It is great, now the police will be chasing and catching "criminals" and not "hunters" as that is what they have become.

I know the persecution of birds of prey and others will continue and will hopefully be dealt with but the "mass slaughter" should be no more.

Thanks and good luck to the people manning the Birdlife and CABS camps.

Ann :egghead:

Of course: YES! i don't want to continue witnessing futile bird killing!!
These are the results as they are standing now:

Do you agree with the European Court decision on Spring Hunting?

yes 72.9%
no 26.2%
don't know 0.9%
Total votes: 424

Unfortunatly i don't think it will put a stop to the killing though. the police are doing teir BEST but they are too understaffed!
ALL the best Martin

Unfortunatly i don't think it will put a stop to the killing though. the police are doing teir BEST but they are too understaffed!
ALL the best Martin

You always have to remember it's a start. Better to start now and work toward a mutual understanding of environmental stewardship, than not at all. Don't forget you are the future for change, and I'm sure your not alone.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for posting and as Ayasuda says it is a start and being Maltese you are the future and can play a large part in that change, birds are beautiful flying free, dead they are nothing, get your friends out there watching them, taking photos enjoy the spectacle of migration and marvel at it they don't need maps, transport or timetables just the right weather conditions, it is instinct and with all our help more can do it safely.

When I wrote my first letter to Times of Malta I didn't think it would be read and couldn't believe they actually printed it. It was the first time in my long life I had got involved in anything and I know it has changed my life I will keep fighting for the birds wherever they are and for as long as it takes to stop them being killed for no reason, if that makes sense.

Ann

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back