• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is a Costa Rica or Belize Birding Trip doable on a budget of 1K U.S.? (1 Viewer)

nightheron28

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinat
Just wondering if either of these places are doable on that budget? Is there a doable tour for 1K from the U.S. that would need to include Airfare.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I went to CR in 2006, once i was in Costa Rica I spent very little indeed. Accomodation and food are very cheap:

$5 a night in Monteverde
$10 a night at La Georgina
Carara was 'expensive' at $20 but that's the only on the spot accommodation

food is ridiculously cheap if you eat out. Or you could buy fruit, cheese and bread locally etc for very little indeed

went to Belize in 2005 - a very similar story. Even on the Cays, the accommodation as cheap. Public transport in both countries is amazingly cheap

Tim

Last edited:
I went to CR in 2006, once i was in Costa Rica I spent very little indeed. Accomodation and food are very cheap:

$5 a night in Monteverde
$10 a night at La Georgina
Carara was 'expensive' at $20 but that's the only on the spot accommodation

food is ridiculously cheap if you eat out. Or you could buy fruit, cheese and bread locally etc for very little indeed

went to Belize in 2005 - a very similar story. Even on the Cays, the accommodation as cheap. Public transport in both countries is amazingly cheap

Tim

If you don't mind and you have the time could you tell me were you flew into, were you stayed and what you did each day? It would be so helpful!! Thanks!

hi nightheron28,
just, like Tim said, here in Costa Rica is ridiculously cheap (ja ja) however it's a really nice nice place to birding trip... u can go to alot of interesting places but it's depend that u really want to do or wacth in this case, Monteverde, Sarapiquí, Osa, and the mangrove in the pacific side are excelent to birding, i'm already in the atlantic slope, near to la Virgen in Sarapiquí,very nice and quit place, and nice peaople too (very friendly)
if u want more details about a specific topic be free to contac me , i'll try to help you
regards

buteoger

If you don't mind and you have the time could you tell me were you flew into, were you stayed and what you did each day? It would be so helpful!! Thanks!

Here is a link to the excellent thread that Tim wrote for birdforum. Its well worth the read, even if those that don't plan to visit Costa Rica. (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=56266)
Another area that is even cheaper than Costa Rica and Belize and really good for birds, is Honduras. Whichever place you visit, you will have a great time.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back