• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

great to see this drawing, full of life! There is no fussing in the way you've filled in the bird, just enough to give form, and very cleverly following the bird's contours.

Well, here it is, My first launch into Watercolour Landscapes......I girded my loins (No not that tight), and picked a photo of somthing that i can recall easily....Its Logans Rock in Cornwall, taken from the cliff tops above Treen Beach.
Its a mixture of 'wet on wet' and then allowing that to dry before i added more detail with a smaller brush, then pulling that out to make the shadows....
I feel fairly pleased with the whole thing and wonder if i should add more detail, but im sure that will evolve as i stride into it.....Sorry there No token Gull shape wafting through

Comments please, Good or Bad

1.jpg

I like it Andrew. It's a very strong design and you've got the perspective spot-on. All in all, a very pleasing painting, even without a fly-by gull!

Thanx, Feels good to get comments on a new venture....
Now I can understand the idea of using larger paper...it did feel a bit crammed in, hence there wasnt much room for what detail I thought needed to go in, maybe to much detail would have altered it too much.
Still its a learning curve

Last edited:
So next time, bigger paper and big brushes! This pic is very succesful, the colours work great together, as Tim points out, the perspective is spot on, and I love how the 'random' fluid shapes all mix to produce what the brain understands as a landscape. Looking forward to seeing some more watercolours very soon.

Thanx Nick, I now understand the idea of bigger paper and Brushes..it did feel a bit constricted, but i guess it still an adventure....I only did a few pencil lines, most of the rocks etc were freehand looking at the original photo.
Its all a matter of stepping over that line and being a bit brave, diving in so to speak.....Im going to launch into another before i go on my hols, but i think the test will be to do it from live, in the open air.....and maybe get some wildlife done to add to this thread instead of just landscapes

Wheatear is great, a real success, would only echo sentiments regarding not being afraid of it. Its only paper and lead at the end of the day... (its the only way to get better, keep it up...)

After my first epic journey into the unknown, I felt the need to hurdle the barrier again to make sure it wasnt a fluke....and to build up the confidence abit before my Hols...So here the second piece, and yes it does contain wildlife..can you tell what it is yet...answers on a post card please
grebe.jpg

Im starting to feel that Im actually enjoying this watercolour, another quick and slightly rushed landscape, with a limited pallette, as the original photo was taken early morning on a grey day with the mist rising off the water.....
1.jpg

Andrew I think you're getting this watercolour idea. The grebe is nice and simply seen and very well drawn and your landscape is effective. You've cleverly left out the bits you don't need and created a very nice atmosphere. Good stuff.

Thanx Tim, I think if im not rushed, I can take more time and add detail with a finer brush, at the moment im still finding a level......

just a quickie from my two weeks away....The first one was done with minimal pencil lines, and shading added as i saw it, but with my critique head on, I should have done the background a lighter wash...
The second one was done from memory and again with minmal detail and a quick bit of shading......comments welcome as always......more to follow, (including a nice looking Rook and a Gull), and some will be done from photos as the weather ment that i couldnt get out in the open....
Managed to buy a Tabletop easel, an A3 pad, more (and bigger) brushes, and a roll to put them in.....
aDSCN0960.jpg aDSCN0962.jpg

Every now 'n then, you just have to clear the crap outta the studio......

Before....
1.jpg 2.jpg

After.....
3.jpg,

Sorry but i opened the Bar early today.....

Decided to have a go at one of the Photos that I took whilst away...Its supposed to be somthing growing out of a Granite wall, Think I failed to grasp the texture of the granite though, and maybe the shading was a tad too harsh........A smaller brush might have done the trick to get the detail. I did purposly slow down between each colour to allow it some drying time.......
DSCN0986.JPG

Another one from my previous 'Gull' Period...........Sorry, just noticed its slightly out of Focus. All done from memory and thrown on with minimal lines and colour.....
DSCN0991.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back