• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is This a Harris Hawk (1 Viewer)

jbross

OK, I am not very good at bird identification although I was able to identify female Harlequin Ducks which, at first, were problematic because they were so different than the males. Be that what it may, I would like some help with the following ID.

Is the bird in the pictures attached (taken at Yellowstone National park in mid-September) one of a Harris Hawk? I have looked at the possible contenders and that is the one I think matches most closely.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Jeff Ross

Attachments

• bird_id_IMG_1019.jpg
    bird_id_IMG_1019.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 28
  • bird_id_IMG_1021.jpg
    bird_id_IMG_1021.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 28
  • bird_id_IMG_1023.jpg
    bird_id_IMG_1023.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 52
Nope, this is a Northern Harrier. The owl-like facial disk in image 3 is a dead giveaway.

Harris Hawk would be quite out of range in Yellowstone!

Nice pictures

Nope, this is a Northern Harrier. The owl-like facial disk in image 3 is a dead giveaway.

Nice pictures

I have iBird Ultimate and when I search for Hawk, the Northern Harrier didn't even show. After you told me the name, I searched on the Internet and I see that it is quite obvious. My Peteron's guide doesn't match as well.

Thank you for your guidance!

J. Ross

When you search in iBird, it only pulls up birds with that word in its common name. I recommend using the "Refine Your Search" options and selecting location and family--that way the oddly-named birds don't escape your search.

I've never thought about it, but I suppose the way the search feature works is pretty unforgiving to people new to identification!

My Peteron's guide doesn't match as well.

The orangey tones on the head and breast show it is a juvenile; adult females are a more sandy-brown, and adult males grey of course.

True for wild birds, though as a very popular falconry species, escapes can occur anywhere (Harris's Hawk is e.g. by far the commonest falconry escape in Britain) :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back