• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

A Late Pleistocene Fauna and Flora from Upton Warren, Worcestershire

Geoffrey Russell Coope, Stanley Peter Dance, Frederick William Shotton, Isles Strachan

Anyone got a copy?

I'll have a look in my 'archives' - I do have several papers on the UW Interstadial. If I track it down, I'll send you a copy.:t:

Reading the introduction to the previously stated document, bring your imagination onto this scene when you're next at the Flashes.....

42,000 years ago - the scarcity of trees is not ascribed to true tundra conditions but it is suggested that the grazing of large herds of bison may have had a controlling influence on tree growth.

Reading the introduction to the previously stated document, bring your imagination onto this scene when you're next at the Flashes.....

42,000 years ago - the scarcity of trees is not ascribed to true tundra conditions but it is suggested that the grazing of large herds of bison may have had a controlling influence on tree growth.

What, no Neanderthal work parties? 8-P

Maybe you might 'dig up' some new species for the list.;)

Not a bad evening for late October! Rattling hide at the Flashes and occasional driving rain. And COLD.

1. Avocet chicks enjoying some respite from the view of dense feathers.
2. Mallard melee......"I showed him...!"
3. Rain and wind stopped play.

Moors, E. hide:-
4. Aylesbury sheltering its duckling. (Pic supplied by Mr JF as mine were total rubbish.)

Attachments

• IMG_9785a.jpg
    IMG_9785a.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9803a.jpg
    IMG_9803a.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9837a.jpg
    IMG_9837a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0403a.jpg
    IMG_0403a.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 95
Moors E. Hide continued:-
Pleased to see pair of great crested grebes with 4 chicks! (Taken around 20:50ish, so low light).

1. Scene from "Alien"
2. Feeding 'baby' fish.
3. The quads.
4. Getting back on board.

Also noted that there are still 5 cygnets and the canada goslings are progressing well.

Attachments

• IMG_9893a.jpg
    IMG_9893a.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9936a.jpg
    IMG_9936a.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9939a.jpg
    IMG_9939a.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9942a.jpg
    IMG_9942a.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Moors E. Hide continued:-
Pleased to see pair of great crested grebes with 4 chicks! (Taken around 20:50ish, so low light).

1. Scene from "Alien"
2. Feeding 'baby' fish.
3. The quads.
4. Getting back on board.

Also noted that there are still 5 cygnets and the canada goslings are progressing well.

nice to see we have got so many chicks, we thought there were only 2:t:john

Any one been down today?

Nursery Tales

I was there in the early afternoon. It was the usual cast of birds except for a common sandpiper reported at the Flashes but it had disappeared by the time I got there. My interest was therefore in the youngsters.

The Moors: 4 grebelets hitching a ride around the Hook; on the Domed island there was one oystercatcher chick but a BHG was bullying the parent; the other oyk family was out of sight on the far side of the Broadmeadow Island; similarly any hatched lapwings were hidden by the vegetation; one lapwing still sitting on the Domed Island; 5 cygnets looking fine.

The Flashes: we counted about 23 adult avocets and at least 12 chicks (presumably yesterday's weather took some toll); the last avocets on the the right-hand island had just hatched one chick but the parent was still sitting on it and the remaining eggs; apart from the existing nests there may be an addition since two LRPs made the beast with two backs.

Peter

Saturday 25th May

7a.m. arrival in Moors car park - Birder Gladys and Dad turn up having already been to Flashes! Still only 4 cars including ours. 3 more than Friday night; impressed that the local constabulary came to look after our car.

North Moors pool a solitary swan, a pair of tufteds and the resident pair of mallards skulking in the reeds. A song thrush trying to outsing everything including the cetti. Lots of bird song which I'm still trying to learn.

On route to East Hide tried to turn wood pigeon into cuckoo but failed. Heard one in area later in afternoon though. One incumbent in hide - closely followed by us, Tim and Mary and Des. Thanks to them , particulary Mary, for pointing out lots of things to me; Des for the ringed plover and Tim for the whitethroat.
Impressionistic rather than numberistic round up. Sorry! Pair of swan still have their five chicks. Won't argue over what the white "duck" is but suggest that it is female because of tail feathers. Anyway showing off its chick in water in front of hide.Lapwing still sitting patiently on island near and to left of hide. No sign of chick(s) yet. An immaculate Lapwing waded and paraded in shallows in front of hide; a very happy wood pigeon had a long bath in same area. On Friday night the pair of oystercatchers definitely had two chicks if not three ( will check photos again) Sad news is that despite trying very hard we could only see one Sat.a.m.; parents either taking it in turn to sit on it or both guarding it whilst taking it for a walk to the water's edge. Two terns - reported as common - not sure - seem to be taking more than an interest in a nest site on the far island looking straight from East Hide. Lorra lorra of BHG chicks growing up very quickly.5 male tufteds and a pair noted swimming in front of hide. Pair of great crested grebe swimming out in First Flash area with one ever growing chick.
The highlight must be the other pair still with their 4 chicks displaying in front of hide. Feisty and hungry chicks indeed,giving I think dad the runaround this time. Mother provided the food and the display was super. One chick made a dash from back to water to grab fish - gulp - gone! Next time another chick is fed the fish - big fish - small beak - oh heck - long time to swallow!!
Favourite video to date. Post pics later.

Eventually we wandered off to the Flashes on foot via West Hide. Nothing much to report - sunlight - what's that?- not helpful. Large family of mallard disappeared back into water from feeding area as we arrived.
Met Rob who explained that the cage had been erected over the LRP pair to protect them after they had started to nest properly. Me - I just thought they had delusions of grandeur! So much to learn! Hide empty of people but met a man photo-ing damsel flies on the walk across.
At the Sailing Pool much human activity. Only a couple of hard BHG flying around mid morning plus the resident Canadas and brood on shore.
Hen Brook hide - stayed for quite a while - lots of warbling but only twitching reeds to be seen. One reed bunting did show briefly. Onto next hide. Pair of swans one sleeping, one swimming but no sign of a nest. BHG on detached residence still sitting; cage in front contains a solitary chick and a pair of chicks at least.Onto New Hide. Empty - then 2 more people plus a visit from a well organised group from the centre to see the long legged birds with blue coloured legs and those with carrots in their mouths. o:D
The usual avocet chicks running wild in front of hide; parents giving grief to anything that came close! Rest of avocets and chicks all spread around and hunkered down so did not consider any losses from weather. The BHG chicks that were still small enough hid in the pipes. Sensible!. Others tried to hide under wings of parents. Mmmm! Photoed common sand when I found it - makes a Jack snipe look slow and calm! Other than that all the usual residents really.
Lunch recuperation called so off to local plant emporium. Met some optimists on may searching for a garden warbler. Lunch more pressing. Hope their wait was fruitful!
P.M. on walk back to Moors met group photo-ing butterflies . West Hide empty but joined by Peter E, then two ladies we had not met before. Canadas rule! A Baker's Dozen flew in and flapped around , settled, and ultimately flew out again. A big creche on grass to right of West Hide of Canadas - there for a long time -then not there. Mrs W B photoed 2 buzzards behind and to right of hide which did not disturb anything. Heron flew in for a while.
Plenty of time to watch the locals and the hirundines. Left around half past 4 from hide. Oh yes on bridge by hide previously met 2 chaps watching stickleback which they tried to point out to me. Not sure I saw them properly- must look up stickleback! lots of people around then making use of Reserve though not many in hides. finally left car park around 5 after long chat with chap about cameras. Buzzard photoed over car park by Mrs WB Is there anything she misses?
Good day. Was only going to stay until lunch time:eek!: If my photos are rubbish - just discovered what ISO setting I was using at times:-C
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back