• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF ED (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

I'm looking to buy another pair of Pentax ED's. I currently have 10x43's and would like to get either the 8x32 or 8x43? Has any-one delt with either? Or does someone have any info on recent reviews of either of these? I have not been able to find either locally, when I got the 10x43's I was able to compare them to other's and it was an easy purchase. Any and all help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks, Stereo.

Pentax 8X43 ED

Hi Stereo,

I bought a pair of the 8X43 about six months ago. I bought them thinking it would be the last all-around use binoculars I would buy in my lifetime. So far, nothing has dissuaded that thought. I am THRILLED with every aspect of these bins except one minor complaint. They seem to be significantly larger than the Nikon Monarch 8X42 ATBs that I used for ~2 years before I bought the Pentax. I guess I'm saying that I like the feel and the smaller size of the Monarch's better.

Other than this minor quip, which I'm sure I'll get used to after carrying them on a few dozen hikes this season, I really can't recommend these more. I believe they are still priced around US-$600 and I feel you wont get your money's worth from what you gain by buying a model two or three times the cost. I don't know a lot of the bin-jargon people use when rating, but here is what I like about them.

They give very bright and crisp view edge to edge. I guess they sacrifice a little for the total FOV, but I don't miss it at all.

22mm of eye relief! I wear glasses and this is makes these bins one of the best.

Close focus. Somewhere around 6ft. Excellent for butterflies or whatever you can get close to.

Despite being a little bulky, they are quite light.

Why I really like Nikon, Pentax, Vortex as well as a few other companies is their lifetime warranty. Thirty years from now, if you drop them and break every lens, they will either fix or replace them for a $20 charge plus shipping fees.

I guess that sums up what I know and like about them. If you have any specific questions, please let me know. Also, if you search long enough you should be able to find a couple more reviews on the web.

Thanks for the link Gorgo, good read! Ceibatree interesting, are you refering to the DCF SP model? The price would indicate so, that being said I own two models of them 8x32, 10x50, very good binocular! But, per post I'm wanting the newer ED model wich I already have 10x43 format and I'm wanting either 8x32 or 8x43. I have heard good things about the 10x50 and already experienced the quality of views through the 10x43 was hoping someone would be able to help me? I'm leaning towards the 8x32 might just get rid of my SP's and go that route, I don't need four pr. 8x32!!! Stereo.

Pentax DCF ED vs Swarovski SLC?

I have had a Pentax 8x43 DCF SP which is a very good binocular. It's now replaced by an even better glass: Swarovski SLCnew 7x42. The difference isn't tremendous but the Swaro without doubt outperforms the Pentax.
Now I am looking for a 10x50 as a higher powered complement to the SLC 7x42. Swarovski SLCnew 10x50 is on the heavy side in my opinion, and the price tag also is.

But I have read that the new DCF ED serie is even better than the DCF SP. Anyone who knows if the advantage of the ED is just the color correction, or is the ED also sharper than the SP?

Would the Pentax 10x50 DCF ED be a good complement to the Swarovski SLCnew 7x42?
I don't make the demand of 100% equal optical performance, but will not feel that I miss the sharpness or brilliance of the Swarovski when I use the 10x50.

Thanks for opinions,

Patric

Last edited:
I also did not get much info on th ED. With the 8x, the SP should be pretty good already. With 10x you might see less CA.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back