• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica slim down bino range (1 Viewer)

timtagel

Balintore Birder
Hi,

Many of you may have spotted this already, but a recent visit to the Leica website revealed the company seems to be pinning all its hopes on the HD range by scrapping much of the first edition of Ultravid full sized binos.

Gone is the 32mm model and the only Ultravid 42mm is the leather version.
This explains the somewhat uncharacteristic price dive of some Ultravid models in the online camera stores.

With the current capricious economic climate, I wonder if it was a wise business decision to produce a new range of binos wth a £1,200 price tag - especially as the improvements over the original Ultravids seems so slight. Do you think Leica will be forced to review its pricing on this HD range or do a Swarovski and have a mid-range ala the SLC series.

Hi,

Many of you may have spotted this already, but a recent visit to the Leica website revealed the company seems to be pinning all its hopes on the HD range by scrapping much of the first edition of Ultravid full sized binos.

Gone is the 32mm model and the only Ultravid 42mm is the leather version.
This explains the somewhat uncharacteristic price dive of some Ultravid models in the online camera stores.

With the current capricious economic climate, I wonder if it was a wise business decision to produce a new range of binos wth a £1,200 price tag - especially as the improvements over the original Ultravids seems so slight. Do you think Leica will be forced to review its pricing on this HD range or do a Swarovski and have a mid-range ala the SLC series.

Seems madness to ditch the standerd Ultravid range, to leave potential Ultravid buyers the only option of forking out for the more expensive HD models seems very unwise business thinking.

If this was truly the case then my current bin of choice (if I could afford them!) the 7x42 Ultravid would be replaced by the Swarovski SLC 7x42

In the meantime I'll stick with my more than adaquate Opticron TGA porro's!

Matt

leica would do better to keep there pre-HD ultravid and possibly the trinovid range and get rid of some of the "idea" men , replacing a 30 year warranty with a 10 year one is unforgivable . I myself am a big fan of leica with a lot of there products , but i wont be rushing out to get a HD , i have already seen an 8x32 ex-demo HD for £999 , they can keep it ..........

I'd like to see Leica not only keep the standard Ultravids but keep producing Trinovids as well, at least in 32 and 42mm sizes. Let US figure out which ones we want to buy.
It's probably a measure to reduce the inventory their dealers need to stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back