• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help choosing lens (1 Viewer)

jomoore

Please help, I'm new to forum. I have a Swarovski ATS80HD scope and I want to get into digi scoping. I'm going to get a EOS Canon 550D camera and a Swarovski DCA adapter and I know that the lens i need is a fixed 50mm, but which will fit the DCA adapter, 50mm f/1.2, f/1.4 or f/1.8. I know I should get the best that I can afford and these lenses vary greatly in price but I don't know if all these lenses will fit the thread on the adapter. Please help someone.

Please help, I'm new to forum. I have a Swarovski ATS80HD scope and I want to get into digi scoping. I'm going to get a EOS Canon 550D camera and a Swarovski DCA adapter and I know that the lens i need is a fixed 50mm, but which will fit the DCA adapter, 50mm f/1.2, f/1.4 or f/1.8. I know I should get the best that I can afford and these lenses vary greatly in price but I don't know if all these lenses will fit the thread on the adapter. Please help someone.

Have a look here, particularly at the video where Dale Forbes describes how to set up a Swaro scope for digiscoping with the UCA adapter (not the DCA) with a Canon 50mm lens. I've read on Dale's site that he uses a 50mm F1.4, but in the link the f1.8 lens is also recommended. They probably all work!

http://slrfocus.com/dslr-zoom/swarovski-uca-digiscoping-adapter-dslr-cameras

I'm not sure if the DCA is your best bet with a 50mm lens. It would probably work, but you will have the issue of the weight of the camera and lens hanging from the DCA, supported only by the filter threads of the lens. If they are plastic, and if the end of the lens rotates or moves during focussing you could have problems! Switching the lens to manual focus would be the way to go (less strain on the AF motor, which also wouldn't work so well through the scope anyway). I would also think live view, magnified to 5x or 10x, would be best for really accurate focussing.

Dale works for Swarovski, and is their digiscoping/marketing manager. He also has a website where you'll find plenty of advice on digiscoping with different types of camera here:

http://alpinebirds.blogspot.com/

He has also produced a host of other videos about digiscoping, which you can find on Youtube. Just do a quick Google search. They should be recommended viewing for someone starting out.

Dale is also a member of Birdforum, so it might be useful sending him a pm. he is usually very helpful and obliging with queries such as yours.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back