• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 65mm (1 Viewer)

Bill A

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this scope? I've read the rave review of the 80mm on BVD, and wonder if the 65mm is as good. I'm in the market for a scope, am somewhat reluctant to buy anything as big and heavy as the 80, and just damned reluctant to part with the huge sum required to purchase the Swaro 65mm.

Any 65mm Pentax users care to comment?

Thanks,
Bill

Find a good dealer and put it next to a Nikon FSIIIED, first with 30xW, then with zoom. Look closely into shadows and areas of the highest contrast. Then choose.

Always good advice, but no one around here stocks them. I wonder if anyone knows of reviews or has first-hand experience.

Bill

I don't know why, but the introduction of these into the NA market seems rather slow. I'd also like to get my hands on one. If its performance is near that of the 80mm I had it could be a nice quality first scope. A Google search finds them for sale at Adorama and Astronomics. I couldn't find any specs at Pentax USA.

Not sure if anyone still looking at this post. Anyways just got the pentax 65mm scope. So far I can't complain. I primarily got it to back pack around and to perform digiscoping.

Although I still do not have the originally designed zoom eye piece, I really like the scope. Originally I received the 80mm zoom eyepiece hence is why I can't comment on the one designed for this scope.

A couple of days ago a fellow digiscoper and I went out with his pentax 80mm and my 65mm for a couple of hours. We were mostly trying to perform comparisons regarding digiscoping. The day was terrible for acurate comparisons but we did have some surprises.

Using same camera eyepiece and same settings taking picture from each scope the 65mm was slightly faster camera settings. (faster shutter). Probably this is due to a wider field of view at the same camera zoom. The 80mm images showed more light detail on darker subject due to the larger element and closer in view of te subject. Again just preliminary comparisons.

I'm awaiting the original designed eyepiece, my only concern is the eye relief of 11-15mm compared to the 18-22 of the 80mm zoom. I can honestly say if some wants more eye relief go ahead and use the 80mm eyepiece on the scope. You will not get the 20x60 zoom but you will still get a remarkable image with a larger eye relief. Also bear in mind the scope bag doesn't quite close properly with the 80mm zoom's eyepiece due to the larger size. But one can live with that.

So far I'm really please with my choice.

Pentax 65 mm scope comments

todd.benko said:
Not sure if anyone still looking at this post. Anyways just got the pentax 65mm scope. So far I can't complain. I primarily got it to back pack around and to perform digiscoping.

Although I still do not have the originally designed zoom eye piece, I really like the scope. Originally I received the 80mm zoom eyepiece hence is why I can't comment on the one designed for this scope.

A couple of days ago a fellow digiscoper and I went out with his pentax 80mm and my 65mm for a couple of hours. We were mostly trying to perform comparisons regarding digiscoping. The day was terrible for acurate comparisons but we did have some surprises.

Using same camera eyepiece and same settings taking picture from each scope the 65mm was slightly faster camera settings. (faster shutter). Probably this is due to a wider field of view at the same camera zoom. The 80mm images showed more light detail on darker subject due to the larger element and closer in view of te subject. Again just preliminary comparisons.

I'm awaiting the original designed eyepiece, my only concern is the eye relief of 11-15mm compared to the 18-22 of the 80mm zoom. I can honestly say if some wants more eye relief go ahead and use the 80mm eyepiece on the scope. You will not get the 20x60 zoom but you will still get a remarkable image with a larger eye relief. Also bear in mind the scope bag doesn't quite close properly with the 80mm zoom's eyepiece due to the larger size. But one can live with that.

So far I'm really please with my choice.

Glad to hear that you did not find any fatal flaws in the scope as I am considering buing one this spring.

I plan to forego the zoom eyepiece in favor the the 12 mm and can compliment it with a 10 mm (39x) Vixen Lanthanum that I already have. This eyepiece has 20 mm of eye relief.

I also have a 26 mm and a 30 mm Celestron Ultima that I plan to use for digiscoping.

The scope is fairly fast at f6 so that may explain the shutter speed. I am trying to find out what eyepiece will yied th maximum FOV.

My other scope is an old model Celestron C 90 which has superb optics for the price but is not waterproof and too cumbersome to pack around.

Looking forward to an update.

Hi Todd

I'm in the market for a 60-65mm scope and was wondering about the Pentax 65 but could find no reviews at all for it. So I was very interested to hear your positive comments. The 80mm Pentax has had a lot of rave reviews so if the 65mm is close it says a lot for it.

In another thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=10767) an astronomer/birder made the case that eyepieces rather than the body are what really determine the optical quality of a scope these days as eyepieces are more complicated to make. The top Pentax eyepieces are, according to him, second to none. (Hope I haven't misrepresented what he said!) It would seem that Pentax scopes even including these great eyepieces are much less expensive than most of their competition. If they give similar views why pay more?

In the above mentioned thread, I believe it was stated that there aren't any adapters for digiscoping for eyepieces as big as the one for the 80mm Pentax. What are you using?

If you would care to give any more feedback about your new scope I will of course be all ears.

And finally, welcome to Bird Forum.

mattpau said:
Hi Todd

I'm in the market for a 60-65mm scope and was wondering about the Pentax 65 but could find no reviews at all for it. So I was very interested to hear your positive comments. The 80mm Pentax has had a lot of rave reviews so if the 65mm is close it says a lot for it.

In another thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=10767) an astronomer/birder made the case that eyepieces rather than the body are what really determine the optical quality of a scope these days as eyepieces are more complicated to make. The top Pentax eyepieces are, according to him, second to none. (Hope I haven't misrepresented what he said!) It would seem that Pentax scopes even including these great eyepieces are much less expensive than most of their competition. If they give similar views why pay more?

In the above mentioned thread, I believe it was stated that there aren't any adapters for digiscoping for eyepieces as big as the one for the 80mm Pentax. What are you using?

If you would care to give any more feedback about your new scope I will of course be all ears.

And finally, welcome to Bird Forum.

There are 4 fixed eyepieces that I've looked through the scope and they all relate to digiscoping my nikon CP4500 on the scope. These are scopetronix maxview 40, scopetronix WA18 pentax version, scopetronix WA14 pentax version and william optix DCL-28.

I can honestly say there really isn't one that really left me sadly disappointed. I will try to explain some their good point and some of their bad.

The Maxview 40. This eyepice requires the max power lense element installed in the bottom of the lens to make the lense work properly within the operating limits of the scope. The max power increased the maxview by factor of 1.6 thus making this lense seem like a 25mm. More importantly it changes the focusing rang eof the scope eyepiece to proper operating range. As a mater of fact the max power is what is used on the WA18 and WA14 in the pentax version for use with either the 80mm or the 65mm. On the scope the overall magnification result somewhere near 16x. Hence is has quite a low magnification. It's plus is that the eye relief presents a fully viewed image something like 30-35mm away from the eyepiece. Really increadible. I did not actually choose this for digiscoping because I would have to zoom in approximately 30-40% camera zoom before vinyetting was gon and the image zoome was now about the starting quality of the WA 18 or DCL28.

The WA28 This is the lense that I purchased for first digiscoping lense. With the max power element in I had focus out to infinity, without the maxpower element the max focus range is only about 50-70 ft. The view on this eyepiece is quite remarkable. The only reservation is that it may produce a slightly softer digiscope image than the DCL 28. The WX 28 works out in the order of 34X I think. The interesting thing is that it appears that the outer area focus fringing appear to present a better image over the entire scope than the dcl28. I can't quite prove that just yeat and this is only an impression so far. But it looks like the dcl start to focus out a little closer toward the centre than the WA18 does.

The WA14 lense I only tried this lense very briefly and was the one that presented the most disappointment. For eye viewing it was fine, for digiscoping as I moved through the zoom range I observed center area brightening and slight shading extending outward. This occured both slightly off wide angle and also closer to upper range of full camera zoom. Hence would produce images that centre brightened. It was not going to be much, however I deceide not to venture there. It was going to be acombination thing...scope, eyepiece and camera that were creating the situation.

The William optics DCL-28. This is pretty much one of the standards that pentax 80mm digiscopers are using with nikon cp series cameras. The shorter focal length on the 65mm results in a slightly wider less magnified view of the subject area. This lense produces slightly more vinyetting at full wide camera zoom compared to the WA18. The lense elements have fewer glass elements and in general terms I think produce a sharper image in the center than the WA18. The only problem is that It appears the outer focus fringing appears to start closer in towards the center than the WA18 does. Either way still a wonderful image.

The pentax 80mm zoom eyepiece on the scope. Overall even though it was a zoom I was very impressed with image quality over most of the range. It wasn't until reaching 50-60x setting It appears as though the image starts to limit out focusing quality and softening of the viewed image. I think the sized of the glass in that eyepiece really does contribute to a pretty good quality image. I sort of think the designed 20x60 zoom eyepiece may have a slightly lower quality image thatn the 80mm zoom eyepiece, but that is just speculation at this point in time.

There was another 10mm canadian make eyepiece that I tried on the scope. For 10mm and eye viewing the image was quite spectaular. It had such a wide field of view that you litterally had to move your eye around the eyepiece to locate and see the outer reaches of the scope image. I can not remember the manufacture name at this point in time. Again with 10mm the magnification is getting up there and with no real test to compare with I really couldn't say much more. Still it was very remarkable. I will probably go back at some time and look at it again as I get more comfortable with the scope.

I think the pentax eyepiece will produce remarkable views from this scope. I suspect the 20-60x zoom may suffer s slight lower quality image over the image from the 80mm, but I sure will not be complaining. I have no doubt the 12mm pentax fixed eyepiece will produce a remarkable image on this scope.

Literally when we took the same eyepice from the 65 to the 80 and back and forth, other than initial zoom equivalence it was very hard to tell any real change in image quality.

Overall conlusion, I am very satisified with the scope so far. For digiscoping with nikon camera I would go with either the wa18 or the dcl28. Further testing may change this opinion but that's where its at right now. Again i also have to re-iterate these are just gut feeling impressions from a very small and unscientific comparison.

I would like to explore the possibility of image quality and usefulness of some of the teleview radian 10-24mm eyepieces for comparison with the scopetronix and william optics eyepieces. Also maybe at some time would like to better quality the image results of these eyepieces already mentioned.

Because I've litterally only had it out only this past weekend, I really can not confirm any diffinitive problems with the scope. All that I know is I was seriously thinking of the 80mm and in being able to view a subject area with both scopes and same eyepiece, I did not feel let down in any way. I really like this scope.

I too will be very interested to see what the professional reviews will have to say about the scope when they go head to head against the swaro's, zeiss and leica. Even with what they come up with I know I'm going to be having fun with this little beuty.

Todd

Todd

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm really glad you like your new scope. It's certainly a contender for me as well. Am also considering Nikon Fieldscope 60 and Zeiss 65. When I feel greedy I think of Swaro and Leica. Then I look hard at their price and come back down to earth!

When you feel greedy...?

If you looked through a Zeiss with zoom and a Swaro or Leica with zoom, you'd wonder what all the fuss was about. The Zeiss is a little wonder - many recent posts here point to the fact.

scampo said:
When you feel greedy...?

If you looked through a Zeiss with zoom and a Swaro or Leica with zoom, you'd wonder what all the fuss was about. The Zeiss is a little wonder - many recent posts here point to the fact.

When I was doing my scope assessment, I was as down to the choice of the zeiss 65 or the pentax 80 and then I found out that the pentax 65 had been released. I did actually look through a swars 85 non hd and still could not justify that money. I really liked the image and zoom of the pentax 80 but I liked the image and the size of the zeiss. When I found out the pentax 65 was available I decided to give it a try without a viewing and was hoping for the image and zoom and size all packaged into one unit. Talk about a leap of faith.

Having only gone back and compared to pentax 80 so far I can't confirm that the all in one was achieved, but I'm definitly happy with what I've got! I just hope the actual designed zoom eyepiece shows up soon so I can check against others.

By the way if anyone is considering ordering the pentax 65, Pentax has appeared to have problems getting the units and eyepieces in to supply to the distributors requests. At least that's waht I've been told. I place my order in Sept 20th, didn't get the scope till Oct 17th and still have not got the XF zoom 20x-60x eyepiece yet.

scampo said:
When you feel greedy...?

Thanks for your comments.

Having looked through Leica and Swaro scopes I know what all the fuss is about - they are terrific; if the Zeiss is in the same league, however, that's great because it is considerably cheaper.

One disadvantage of the Zeiss 65 is that their zoom translates to "only" 15-45X. As my current scope is a fixed 22 maybe I shouldn't worry about that!

Todd - Eagle Optics is currently out of stock on the Pentax, evidence of what you're saying about distribution problems. They did feel they'd get more in soon, though.

Pf-65

I thought I might repose this post that was lost last month. I am combining a couple of posts to include all the information so the post is long – sorry.

I recently purchased the PF-65 ED Scope body for $435 from Optics4Birding. I am an amateur astronomer so have plenty of eyepieces. Once receiving the scope I had the opportunity to compare the PF-65 to the Nikon Sky and Earth 60mm and the Pentax PF-80. The Nikon Sky and Earth was my first spotting scope and I have enjoyed using it over the years. Although not considered a high-end scope, it was certainly interesting to compare it to the PF-65. In performing the comparison I dialed the zoom of the Nikon to around 20X and placed the Pentax XL21 fixed focal length eyepiece (approx. 20X in the PF-65) in the PF-65. As an amateur astronomer, I knew before looking how absolutely unfair the comparison would be. The Pentax view was wide-open (60-degree field), bright, clear, and beautifully resolved. In comparison the Nikon was narrow (almost "soda-straw-like" in comparison), dull (sort of a yellow tint to the image in direct comparison), but still reasonably well resolved. Now I have been a fan of this little Nikon for years, but the differences, under direct comparison, were NOT subtle. I then placed the Pentax XL10 (approx. 40X in the PF-65) and dialed the Nikon zoom to 40X. This time the Nikon's zoom field had widened (perhaps to around 50 degrees) and evidenced less soda-straw effect. The yellowish tint was increasingly exacerbated in the Nikon now at higher power while the Pentax remained bright, wide open, and clear. It was at this point I ceased the comparison, which was simply unfair. The performance of the Pentax PF-65 was well beyond the Nikon. The Pentax fixed focal length eyepieces are extraordinary and I would argue that placed behind any high quality spotting scope objective (e.g. Zeiss and Swarovski who offer 1 1/4" barrel adapters could use these eypeices) they would be virtually unsurpassable.

Direct comparison of the PF-65 to the PF-80 yielded only subtle differences related to brightness (the PF-65 appeared slightly dimmer as sunlight diminished late in the evening). Most of the time, other than magnification differences, I was unable to differentiate between views from the two Pentax scopes.

I am extraordinarily pleased with the PF-65. It is more compact than the Nikon Sky and Earth 60 and a giant leap beyond optically. It provides a birding experience equivalent to the PF-80 and with the fixed focal length eypieces is simply extraordinary. To check out the objective lens I did star test the PF-65 with a Pentax XL5 (somewhere around 80X). The star test was perfect showing perfectly circular images in the center of the field both inside and outside focus. The star test suggested a well-figured objective lens free from optical abberations.

Now I have never liked the Pentax zoom. While optically it is very good (certainly close to the zoom performance of the Zeiss and the Swarovski), it is nowhere near the image provided by the fixed focal length eyepieces. In my opinion the zoom is overly bulky and heavy. I did not buy the new, slimmer Pentax zoom designed for the PF-65. I am interested to hear a review, but am dissappointed to hear that the high magnification eye relief is only 11mm. The huge PF-80 zoom works fine in the PF-65, but looks disproportionate to the scope. I did test the scope using the Vixen 8-24mm zoom which is an excellent astronomical zoom (now modified for use on scopes by Bausch and Lomb, Kowa, Swift, and Celestron and offered with a standard 1 ¼” barrel by Tele-Vue, Meade, and Orion). This zoom only costs around $169 and is compact, well resolved at all magnifications, and bright on the Pentax. The magnification is around 16-50X on the PF-65.

I have always believed that birding scope reviews are basically reviews of zoom eyepieces. I can't imagine that any of the top end scope makers would be unable to manufacture a reasonably flawless objective lens. The zoom eyepiece, however, is another story. With 6-9 pieces of moving glass the design and manufacturing challenges are more evident and more difficult to overcome. It would be very interesting to compare a Zeiss, Swarovsky, and Pentax objective lens by holding the eyepiece constant. Say a Pentax XL21 eyepiece could be placed in the 65mm versions of all three scopes and compared (remember adapters are available for the Zeiss and Swarovski that would allow the incredible Pentax fixed focal length eyepieces to be used). For that matter, the Tele-Vue Radians or Meade Series 5000 Ultra Wides, or any of the other excellent, wide field, long eye relief, astronomical eyepieces could also be substituted. It is my hope that someday spotting scope makers move away from the use of proprietary eyepieces to the 1 1/4" standard so birders can choose from the (literally) thousands of different eyepiece and zoom eyepiece options that have been available to astronomers for years.

My last plug for the PF-65 ED has to do with price. The 65mm scope with the zoom is $650 (including view through case) - compare that to the 60-65mm "special glass" versions of Swarovski ($1868), Leica ($1824), Zeiss ($1370), Kowa ($1072), and the Nikon Fieldscope III ED ($1124). (Optics4Birding prices) (the case is not included in some of the above) - While no direct comparisons are yet available, I believe, based on what I have seen, that the Pentax will hold its own with the others when comparing zoom eyepieces and I would wager - surpass the others in direct comparisons using Pentax’s fixed focal length eyepieces even if compared to the Proprietary fixed focal length eyepieces of the other makers.

Now, from a different posts a couple of eyepiece recommendations for the PF-65ED

Owl Services offers two excellent fixed focal length eyepiece options at a very low price. These eyepieces are excellent terrestrial eyepieces with a wide apparent field (65-67 degrees), good eye relief (around 15 mm), and nice resolution and contrast. They are manufactured by GSO, an Asian company that has released some excellent offerings recently; some of which are marketed under a number of other co. labels (e.g. Meade, StellarVue, etc.). The eyepieces are the 15mm SuperView (65-degree apparent field) at $34 and the 20mm SuperView (67-degree apparent field) at $34. In direct comparison to the Pentaxes there were only subtle differences. Additionally, these eyepieces were much more compact in size than the Pentaxes. This is true only for terrestrial application. If you own either the PF-65 or PF-80 you ought to pick these up - $68 for both – you will be very impressed!! The website for ordering is:
http://www.owlservices.com/cart/index.html
Adorama Camera offers the Vixen Zoom for $170. This is an excellent and well known zoom eyepiece described above. While not as strong as the high end zooms on birding scopes, it is close and much less expensive. You can combine the two excellent fixed focal lengths above and this zoom for less than $250 – still much less than a single zoom for a high end maker. The website for the zoom purchase is below:
http://www.adorama.com/VXLAZ.html?searchinfo=vixen zoom&item_no=2

For higher power fixed focal length eyepieces I recommend the new Pentax XF series (8 and 12mm offerings) available through Pentax dealers. They are priced at $169 each and offer 18mm of eye relief and 60-degree apparent fields. I have not viewed through these, but other reviews on this website suggest high quality.

A quick note: The focal length of the new PF-65 is 390mm. To calculate magnification divide the focal length of the eyepiece by the focal length of the scope. For example, the 15mm GSO Superwide provides 26X (390 divided by 15).

Jay Young said:
Owl Services offers two excellent fixed focal length eyepiece options at a very low price. These eyepieces are excellent terrestrial eyepieces with a wide apparent field (65-67 degrees), good eye relief (around 15 mm), and nice resolution and contrast. They are manufactured by GSO, an Asian company that has released some excellent offerings recently; some of which are marketed under a number of other co. labels (e.g. Meade, StellarVue, etc.). The eyepieces are the 15mm SuperView (65-degree apparent field) at $34 and the 20mm SuperView (67-degree apparent field) at $34. In direct comparison to the Pentaxes there were only subtle differences. Additionally, these eyepieces were much more compact in size than the Pentaxes. This is true only for terrestrial application.

Thanks for reposting this!! I remember your previous post about these eyepieces, but I didn't write down the info and then it got lost in the server crash. It sounds too good to be true - do the GSO super-views really match (or even come close) to the Pentax XW's in terms of sharpness, contrast, and color accuracy? Also, why do you say that your recommendation holds only for terrestial use? (Admittedy, the PF-65ED would be a less than ideal choice for astronomical use, but I'd be using it in a place with extremely dark skies and low humidity which it would be a shame not to take advantage of!)

Zack

Hi Zack:
I own a set of Pentax XLs, which were the predecessors to the recently released XWs. In direct comparison and for terrestrial application, I don't believe that you will observe much difference (between SuperViews and Pentax XLs - The XWs have a slightly wider apparent field, but similar optical qualities). The contrast and color definition are very good in both. Brightness is excellent with no shading or false color intrusion. There is some slight image degredation at the edge of the field in the SuperViews that you will notice if you work at it (move images to the edges - back to middle, etc.). This degredation is negligible in the Pentax but still present. Center field view is excellent in both. I would be surprised if anyone was anything but delighted by the SuperView performance in the Pentax PF-65 independent of price and really pleased given the low price.

Astronomical applications are more precise (e.g. working to magnify independent point sources of light - stars - against a jet black background) and require more exacting standards if they are to perform flawlessly across the field of view. Since stars drift across the field as a result of the motion of the earth, astronomers are often very interested in having a nice, well resolved, flat field of view. The SuperViews show stars at the edge of the field in fast scopes as "extended stars." The Pentax is pinpoint sharp to the edge. The center 2/3 of the field is excellent in the SuperViews under the stars so these eyepieces can be used for astronomical applications but they will not be as sharp (at the edges) as the Pentaxes which now cost around 10X more $ ($34 vs. $340).

In less demanding terrestrial applications these differences are less apparent but may be identified by a trained eye applying careful scrutiny. Chances are few birders would find the optical deficiencies of the SuperView eyepieces problematic in general terrestrial use. The field is wide, bright, and clear with nice resolution and contrast. I own the Pentax XL 21mm and I prefer to use the SuperView 20mm in the field as I believe the size and bulk reduction in the SuperView over the Pentax is of greater benefit than the slight edge-field resolution of the Pentax over the SuperView is a detractor. Give one a try and post your thoughts.

Pretty impressive. Of the various optical compromises, less than perfect edge-to-edge sharpness is the one I can most easily tolerate. And I really like the reduced size and weight (not to mention the cost). I'll definitely give the GSO/Owl 15mm superview a try. Thank you for providing so much information!!

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a higher magnification eyepiece or zoom. The Vixen/Tele Vue 8-24mm zoom (possibly used) is certainly one possibility. I've heard some claims that the Apogee/GTO/Scopetronix 7-21mm zoom is optically equal (some say even slightly better), and it's smaller and only costs $50. However, the eye relief is less -- only 13-15mm apparently. Have you ever used this zoom, do you have any thoughts as to how it compares to the Vixen/TeleVue, and do you think that an eyeglass wearer such as myself can get away with 13mm eyerelief at the long end of the zoom?

It's a pity the Pentax XF zoom only has 11-15mm eye relief -- otherwise the specs all look very good and it's quite a good price if purchased with the PF65ED scope...

Zack

Hi Zack.

I just got a 8-24mm zoom from an e-bay seller. It cost $80. It looks absolutely identical to the Vixen eyepiece and probably comes from the same factory in the Far East (or at least according to the seller) but is unbranded. It works fine on the Pentax 65. The seller's name on e-bay is rkastro and he is based in Canada. There are some other astro eyepieces on e-bay that look interesting.

Check it out. Just go onto the eyepieces and accessories page in "binoculars and telescopes" and do a search for "zoom".

stuprice68 said:
I just got a 8-24mm zoom from an e-bay seller. It cost $80. It looks absolutely identical to the Vixen eyepiece and probably comes from the same factory in the Far East (or at least according to the seller) but is unbranded. It works fine on the Pentax 65. The seller's name on e-bay is rkastro and he is based in Canada. There are some other astro eyepieces on e-bay that look interesting.

Thanks for the tip! I looked into this a bit, and 'rkastro' is apparently Ray Kahn from Kahnscope, a dealer in Toronto. Their reputation is apparently somewhat uneven (check the www.excelsis.com website for their feedback). There are several other sources for what is almost certainly the same zoom, and unlike rkastro they will accept returns if you are not happy: www.telescopes.com sells it under their 'Zhumell' brand for $79, and Vancouver Telescope Center (604) 738-5717 sells it for Canadian $69. Owl Services also briefly sold it under their 'Knight Owl' brand, but they had to discontinue it and I apparently just bought their last one! Both Owl Services and Vancouver Telescope confirm that this lens seems to be optically identical to the Vixen/Meade/TV/Orion zoom.

Zack

zack2 said:
Thanks for the tip! I looked into this a bit, and 'rkastro' is apparently Ray Kahn from Kahnscope, a dealer in Toronto. Their reputation is apparently somewhat uneven (check the www.excelsis.com website for their feedback). There are several other sources for what is almost certainly the same zoom, and unlike rkastro they will accept returns if you are not happy: www.telescopes.com sells it under their 'Zhumell' brand for $79, and Vancouver Telescope Center (604) 738-5717 sells it for Canadian $69. Owl Services also briefly sold it under their 'Knight Owl' brand, but they had to discontinue it and I apparently just bought their last one! Both Owl Services and Vancouver Telescope confirm that this lens seems to be optically identical to the Vixen/Meade/TV/Orion zoom.

Zack

Could you check your excelsis reference and correct the link please Zack, it doesn't seem right?

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Could you check your excelsis reference and correct the link please Zack, it doesn't seem right?

The exact page is http://www.excelsis.com/1.0/entryvotes.php?sectionid=24&entryid=45
The site seems to be having problems - I keep getting blank pages when I try to access it. Try again in a day or so.

See also this thread on the Cloudy Nights forum:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...0460/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1
and also:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...e=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post276296

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back