• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's new Pentax? (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

It appears entry level binocular manufacturers (or private label branders of mostly Chinese manufactured binoculars) come out with new models at a rapid pace. The alpha three take quite a bit longer, but each introduces a new generation in turn with the other two. Correct me if I'm wrong (or if I'm just confused by the alphabet soup naming regimen at Pentax), but isn't Pentax overdue for a revamp of its line?

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, Pentax hasn't introduced a new upper range model in over 6 years. Who do they think they are, Leica?

In the meantime, appreciate the small things. They've quit putting those faucet stickers on them!
Ron

You betcha, Pentax is long overdue. Even that upper range ED model introduced 6 years ago was just a glass upgrade to the earlier SP, which was introduced in the Jurassic Period. Velociraptor's used them to find their prey. :eat:

A top 'o the line 8x43 ED roof for $999 with silver-coated prisms and only 6.3* FOV?! Heck, the 6.3* $259.95 Monarch 5 has dielectrics, the $199 Prostaff 7 has 6.3* FOV? Even the Zeiss 8x42 Terra ED has a larger FOV.

Didn't somebody tell Pentax engineers that the narrowish ocular systems are, like, so yesterday? WF is where it's at Jack. Get on board or get left behind. Choo-Choo!

<B>

Pentax spotting scopes need a major makeover; with companies like Vortex taking the reins.
Have to wonder, why don't they wake up?

Pentax spotting scopes need a major makeover; with companies like Vortex taking the reins.
Have to wonder, why don't they wake up?

Yes, somewhat agreed on the spotting scopes. But at least Pentax is still made in Japan. I was all set to get one of the new Vortex Razor spotting scopes ( the 65mm) until I found out from EO and Vortex directly that the new line of 65 and 50 mm Razor spotting scopes are made in China.

Oh well, may just get a Pentax tried and true 65 ED II and still made in same Japanese factory that it as been made for years, before I fork out $1200 for a Vortex- made in China spotter.

I asked the sales rep at Vortex if the 85 Razor spotter was also moving to China ( they up to now were made in Japan); and he said he was not sure what was going to happen.

Maybe nothing new says it all. No great advancements to justify anything other than cosmetic changes.

Having unlimited access to the 8X43 ED Pentax I can tell you I will take the Alpha quality of the 8X43 ED over the Monarch, Prostaff and Zeiss (Terra ED I have not seen this one yet). No comparison in my opinion.

The 8X43 ED does not deliver the performance of the other bins mentioned at 3 times the cost.
The 8X43 ED delivers the performance of $2000 bins at half the cost.

If FOV is your sole criteria, and a high quality images is not important or not in the budget. Then by all means go for the others.

I will compare them again in May when I am at Cape May. The 8X43 ED is an easy winner against this level and a strong challenger for the best.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back