• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (2 Viewers)

Some UK camera shops etc have just got stock.

Delivery estimate come down to 2nd May now at Amazon.

Do I stick with Amazon ?, or try elsewhere ????

I "think" when the P900 was first released, people who pre-ordered from Amazon received the camera long before they'd been told to expect it initially. Crazy, I'd be inclined to believe the dates given on your order history. I'll bet Amazon got a ship date from Canon, allowing them to be more specific....at least I hope so, I know how hard it is to wait once you've pulled the trigger!

To me return policy is important and I know I'm safe with Amazon. My guess being so big Amazon is a priority reseller. OTOH, who knows how long their pre-order backlog is?

But as much as I hate the wait, I'm sticking with Amazon for the time being.

Why is no one picking up on birdboybowley's point that in a test the pictures from the nikon p900 are worse than those from the nikon p600 see http://www.dkamera.de/testbericht/bildqualitaet/nikon-coolpix-p900/ as shown by hermitibis?

Is this not a case that the sensor is too small for such a large zoom? This has proved the case for canon going from SX50 to SX60. The pictures are softer. Has this not happened in nikon's "upgrade" too? I for one will hold back until more lab tests appear.

Last edited:
I imagine because IQ isn't the only factor people consider. The zoom is nearly 40% longer and you're going to get shots that wouldn't be possible with the P600. I can't imagine a P600 shot cropped to equal the optical zoom of the P900 is going to be anywhere near as good. There are several other significant improvements in the P900's design and performance (likewise with the P610), but they may not matter to you. It's probably more beneficial to look at users actual photos and listen to their appraisals...the truth usually will out

You pays your money...

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the camera does when it switches from 16mp to a smaller picture like 12mp? Does it use a smaller part of the sensor or resize the file smaller after the photo has been taken.

Reason I ask is that for file size I may not actually want to take pictures at 16mp.

Crazyfingers, pretty sure it uses the whole sensor and resizes like any other software would, but how to tell for sure?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your expectations are. This one is SOOC, very slightly cropped for composition, hand-held at full optical zoom (2000mm equiv) through not the cleanest double-glazing. This is one of my early shots, still very much trying to work out best settings eg shutter speed was a little slow. Long way to go on all aspects

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7150250@N03/17148273051/in/photostream/

When you feel somewhat satisfied with your settings you could post them for us?

Maybe by then I'll have mine.

Must not be tempted by unfamiliar resellers. ;)

I found in the fine print,

http://www.digitalrev.com/help/terms-of-conditions-of-sales/MTg2NzcwNg_A_A

8. Customs

By purchasing a product through the Site, customers outside of Hong Kong authorise DigitalRev Limited to make arrangements for clearance of customs on their behalf for the products they have ordered.

When ordering goods from DigitalRev Limited, overseas deliveries may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once the package reaches the specified destination. Any additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you, unless an Import Handling Charge is included in the price of the goods. Customs policies vary widely from country to country, so you should contact your local Customs officer for further information. Additionally, please note that when ordering from DigitalRev Limited, you are considered the sole importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country in which you are receiving the goods. Your privacy is important to us and we know that you care about how information about your order is used and shared. We would like our international customers and customers dispatching products internationally to be aware that cross-border deliveries are subject to opening and inspection by customs authorities.

FYI, the camera is available through Camera Canada (http://www.cameracanada.com), and they ship to the USA via Canada Post which comes into the US and converts to the US Postal Service... and they don't assess customs fees whereas the other package services (UPS, Fedex) do. Plus, there's a significant savings in price because of the exchange rate...

Chris

FYI, the camera is available through Camera Canada (http://www.cameracanada.com), and they ship to the USA via Canada Post which comes into the US and converts to the US Postal Service... and they don't assess customs fees whereas the other package services (UPS, Fedex) do. Plus, there's a significant savings in price because of the exchange rate...

Chris

Thanks but I see that they only have a 7 day return policy. I think that I'd want the month that Amazon has to know for sure that it's worth the $600 to upgrade from my SX50.

I understand perfectly... buying it from a retailer with a good return policy is important when it comes to buying gear.

Chris

Right now, the biggest drawback for me with the P900 is the hard eyepiece around the EVF. I wear glasses and I'm very afraid of scratching my lenses. Unfortunately Nikon didn't see fit to make a soft rubber eye cup for us glasses-wearers, and I've tried without success to find something that will work appropriately. There are a ton of eye cups around but they are all made for specific cameras so my next step is to see what's available in the sport optics world. I'll report back if I find anything suitable...

Chris

Right now, the biggest drawback for me with the P900 is the hard eyepiece around the EVF. I wear glasses and I'm very afraid of scratching my lenses. Unfortunately Nikon didn't see fit to make a soft rubber eye cup for us glasses-wearers, and I've tried without success to find something that will work appropriately. There are a ton of eye cups around but they are all made for specific cameras so my next step is to see what's available in the sport optics world. I'll report back if I find anything suitable...

Chris

Chris, I've been looking for an eye-cup for the P900, not for glasses protection but to keep extraneous light out. Haven't found one, so today I ordered a multipack of eye-cups that are made for binoculars. These apparently stretch to fit binocular and scope eye-pieces. I'll use the standard size ones on my bins, and am hoping that the smaller ones might fit the eye-piece on my camera. If not, I'll be adapting one, as I did for my SX50.
This is the multi-pack I ordered, I'll report on it when I get it;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b004_Eyeshields_Triple_Pack.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Chris

Chris,
Have a look at a Hoodman that will fit to the LCD screen and use that instead of the EVF.
Neil.

You don't like to use the diopter without the glasses?

In a word, no... this is actually the first time in my 40+ years of using a variety of cameras that the eyepiece hasn't been protected by some sort of rubber. Even my very first Nikon F had a rubber ring around the viewfinder!

Chris

Chris, I've been looking for an eye-cup for the P900, not for glasses protection but to keep extraneous light out. Haven't found one, so today I ordered a multipack of eye-cups that are made for binoculars. These apparently stretch to fit binocular and scope eye-pieces. I'll use the standard size ones on my bins, and am hoping that the smaller ones might fit the eye-piece on my camera. If not, I'll be adapting one, as I did for my SX50.
This is the multi-pack I ordered, I'll report on it when I get it;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b004_Eyeshields_Triple_Pack.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I look forward to finding out how they do... in the meantime, there's a microscope supply company not too far from me which I'll visit to see if they might have a solution. I'm optimistic that we'll find a solution.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back